IGNORED

Wethead Windshield Upgrades

Rob Nowell

I know this discussion has been had, but I would like the latest input from you folks on the site. In updating the windscreen on my '16 RT, most of you suggest one of two possibilities. My question is, can I possibly test both of them prior to purchase? If so, through what vendor? I live in So Cal and would like a new shield before next summer's touring season. Thank you in advance for your experienced advice and commentary.

I just upgraded from the stock screen to the Quiet Werks screen on my 2016. I only wish i had done it sooner.

I wear a full coverage helmet and like to ride with my visor open to get some air on my face.

With the stock screen it didn't work so well at speeds above 60, even with the screen all the way up.

With the Werks screen i am cruising in the mid 70's with the screen maybe 1/2 way up, it is quieter, there is less buffeting, and i am still getting air on my face.

I have commuted a few times where morning temps were in the low 40's / upper 30's and i have had my visor in the up position.

I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and got the standard height screen. I also opted for the slight tint because it looks kinda cool, but no tint would have been fine.

Previously i had an '04 RT with a CeeBailey Euro cut screen and it wasn't this good.

Rob,

Perhaps supply some details.

Height, build, etc.

I never sat on a BMW w/a stock windscreen that worked for me.

But I'm tall , outside the design parameters.

Found combos that worked on all my bikes with some trial and error.

There may be someone your size that has done that already.

Rob, I know some dealers have in the past stocked "test" shields for you to try. In addition at rally events like the BMWMOA National and Americade most windshield vendors will allow you to mount the shield and take it for a test ride. The issue for any mail order shields will be the cost of shipping for a test.

I have a Werks Quiet ride and it is OK. Unlike a lot of other folks here I did not find it to be nirvana but it is better than the stock for sure. Also, I like that it is the light gray color that looks great with my platinum bronze RT. I also believe I was pointed to a size that may be a bit too short for my 6'3" frame.

On my 2006 RT I had a Ztechnic shield that I really liked and the material was virtually scratch proof.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Testing a screen before a purchase would be good. But, it would have to be at a supplier that stocked 4 or so sizes of each brand that can only be used as test screens! That is a LOT of money to tie up in something that does not have much of a profit margin it.

Once you mount the screen and take even a short ride, it will leave marks on it from the mouldings so it is then a "used" screen.

The correct size of the screen is EVERYTHING. If in doubt, taller is always better.

I do think there are a couple BMW dealers that have "test" screens. Probably the Ztechnique (V Stream) or maybe the factory taller versions. Maybe one or two with the Wunderliche. You might call around and see. I will tell you that there is a HUGE difference in how some of them perform when compared.

Good point!

I am short (5/7") and have the factory low seat. I use a modular helmet and like to have music on longer rides. I ride solo almost all the time.

Good point!

I am short (5/7") and have the factory low seat. I use a modular helmet and like to have music on longer rides. I ride solo almost all the time.

I'm about the same height as you and went with the short, tinted WERKS. I have never had to raise the screen anywhere near full extension, usually a few inches pushes the airflow over the top of my helmet and quietens the ride. I've always had great visibility over the top. Mostly I chose the short version to maximize wind on me during Florida's lengthy summer. Anyway, for your height, that's my recommendation.