IGNORED

R1150Rt non-ABS servo brake hose replacement

Tourmaster

I'm planning on replacing the brake hoses on my R1150 (in Ireland). I would like to eliminate as many connections as possible...so a single hose from the handle bars to the spliter at the front wheel and possibly a hose from the rear master directly to the slave.

The rear may not be doable, if I recall the master has a flared connection and I probably can't get a suitable fitting on the hose that will allow the banjo to line up properly. Has anybody done this? Can someone provide the lengths required as the bike is a few thousand miles away.

Thanks,

Rick

Sorry, not with you...

[i]R1150RT non-ABS servo brake[/i] seems to me like a contradiction in terms.

¿ Non-ABS bikes don't have a servo ? Has anyone any evidence of the R1150RT ever being available as a non-ABS version, even the Police or Authorities range ?

Linked brakes however.....

AL in s.e. Spain

RE: Alan Sykes...PAS, you are correct, the ABS servo brakes have been removed.

At the time the simple solution was to fabricate 2 'U' shaped short steel lines to replace the ones going to the ABS unit (front and rear). Since I'm replacing the flex lines, I would now like to eliminate both of those short U tubes (if possible).

'U' hoses?

All the ABS/Servoectomy's I've been involved with remove the Servo unit along with the solid pipework that runs forward to the splitter box at the steering head. So a straightforward braided hose kit is all that is needed.

To the rear brake, likewise, all the solid pipework is removed from the Servo, and the replacement flexible hose (from a GSA, I believe) part number 343 276 844 08 to the best of my knowledge is fitted directly from the master cylinder to the caliper.

AndyS, About 3 years ago I removed the servo unit and all the steel lines leading to it.

One of the steel U tubes I fabricated connects to the original front fittings for the 2 banjos, I'm still using the original front brake hoses. I would like to eliminate this with a new single S.S. braided flex hose running from the front master brake cylinder to the splitter block. Doing so cleans up the installation and removes 4 connection points. I don't know the hose length that I require.

The other steel U tube connects the rear line banjo to the rear master, again I would like to eliminate this with a new SS braided flex hose going from the rear slave to the master. The issue here is the connection on the master is a flare fitting, can I get braided hose with a male fitting that would be compatible for the master flare on 1 end and a banjo on the other for the slave (there could be an alignment issue), I'll check out the part number you provided.

Regards,

Rick

Rick - don't pay OEM BMW inflated prices for stainless-steel braided hoses.

Buy them from the firm BMW uses, and as yet the Greedy Berlin Pig hasn't managed to close an exclusive distribution deal with their suppliers - Goodridge in the USA and Stahlflex in the rest of the world.

Both those firms have extensive knowledge of BMW Motorrad brake and clutch hose requirements and specs., and you can talk to their Customer Support people to discuss hose dimensions, fittings details, etc.

I just replaced all the hoses on my R1150R by dealing with a firm in Germany called ProBrake whose web pages give you all the griff about fittings, sizes and colours - you can even choose scary, glarey red if you're so inclined. And the cost was less than half that demanded by the GBP.

AL in s.e. Spain, currently in the rainy, chilly, miserable Divided Kingdom for the moment.

Thanks Alan,

I'm looking at Gaffer (USA), they seem to have quite a selection of custom hoses and fittings and welcome 'oddball' orders.

I don't have much info on the lengths and fittings that I need (bike is overseas), if push comes to shove I'll simply order the standard ABS 5 hose set and live with the U tubes.

My repair window is short, the custom lines would HAVE to fit first time.

Rick