IGNORED

Vario Side Case Won't Expand

twilmotte

Does anyone have experience with a right side Vario side case that wouldn't expand? The bike is a 2011 R1200GS with only 23K miles. Hasn't been abused. I bought it used. Previous owner said he used the case occasionally, but that it's always been difficult to expand and contract. Fortunately, it stuck in the "contracted" position. When I try to flip the lever to expand it, the lever moves about 2 inches and the case expands about 1/2 inch and then gets hung up. I've sprayed some WD40 in the gear mechanisms on both sides -- doesn't help. It appears something is broken in there, or something has gotten in there to jam up the gear mechanism. I've removed the case and shaken it to try to hear anything rattling around. I've tried to expand it while the case is upside down, thinking maybe a piece of whatever might dislodge. No luck.

Any tips on how to proceed? Has anyone repaired a side case and can offer advice? Local BMW dealer says one of the gear assemblies is about $62 and has to be shipped from Germany (of course). And then the labor would be about an hour. Not sure I want to pay about $200 for a dealer fix.

I had it happen to mine after some dusty riding. What I did was use an air chuck to blow air into the seams and in and around the gear mechanism. I eventually got it to move again.

Pat

You might look for signs of a right side tip-over on the bike,

That seems to be the most common side is the right.

Of the bike fell on the bag, its very possible the internal mechanism could be broken.

I've had an early model Vario apart once.

And only once. So yes, clean with air, lube, and shake it around, try opening while upside down, standing on each end, see what you get.

Good luck.