IGNORED

1150 exhaust ??

joeb

In my quest to improve my 1150 performance , pinging, surge

Etc. I've looked at the intake side. Af-xied, balance TBs, O2 sensor , now working on injectors. Somebody mentioned exhaust obstruction and I've had a car that had its catalyctic converters collapse and choke the engine. Does this happen on the 1150 ? I've got about 105,000 on the 03. If so, how to check ? If it is probable my thought would be to drop the exhaust, cut out the top of cat box, clear out the insides ,( would probably drop in a breath mint to comply with EPA )

Weld plate into place . Any great thoughts or ideas??

In my quest to improve my 1150 performance , pinging, surge

Etc. I've looked at the intake side. Af-xied, balance TBs, O2 sensor , now working on injectors. Somebody mentioned exhaust obstruction and I've had a car that had its catalyctic converters collapse and choke the engine. Does this happen on the 1150 ? I've got about 105,000 on the 03. If so, how to check ? If it is probable my thought would be to drop the exhaust, cut out the top of cat box, clear out the insides ,( would probably drop in a breath mint to comply with EPA )

Weld plate into place . Any great thoughts or ideas??

Afternoon Joeb

The BMW 1150 exhaust catalytic converters seldom plug up to the point of hindering performance BUT it CAN happen. You can remove the o2 sensor, then install a fitting into the exhaust o2 bung, then put an inches of H2o gauge on that fitting, then ride the bike & see if you have an exhaust restriction.

If you have the time & have the patience you CAN gut the cat without cutting it open. I drill a hole on the L/H side then use a steel rod, long chisel, & lots of hammering, twisting, cussing etc to break the cat grid up, then work the pieces out of the inlet & outlet. Once it is gutted I then add a stainless steel plug to the drilled hole.

tUM5R7U.jpg

..and you could eat your lunch off the top surface of his bike lift....

Has anybody ever seen a cleaner-looking workshop ? ?

As to the issue f the catalysator - I just ditch mine and fit a Y-piece. The bike is 12kg lighter and the performance and sound are unaffected; one could even kid oneself that the bike now has slightly more ooommph.

Prolly not. And it still passes its ITV (MOT).

Edited by Alan Sykes