IGNORED

Tire Recommendations - R1150R

OlGeezer

At the fear of starting another dreaded tire thread, since I haven't purchased tires in a while I need a recommendation.

The tires currently on my bike are Bridgestone BattleAxes. They currently have 8.3 k miles and are nearly gone. They have felt good on the road and, to me, the wear is reasonable, although it would be nice to get 10k on sunch a l(relatively) ight bike. I like stick, but I'm not an agressive rider. I have about 1/4" to 3/8" chicken strip on both tires.

Based on my limited shopping, I'm having difficulty finding a 170 tire for the rear in a Bridgestone. I have found 160 and 180, but I'm concerned about drive shaft clearance, or lack thereof, with a wider tire.

The correct sizes are available in Metzeler Z8s. I have no experience with the Z8. Do they last? Do they stick? At Chaparral online store, a set is about $300.

I have not looked at Michelin, Pirelli or Continental. Should I?

My crriteria are price (as in dollars per mile) and safety (stick).

Here is a link to the choices I found:

https://www.chapmoto.com/sport-touring-tires/radial?street_tire_position=25807&tire_width=3476&tire_aspect_ratio=3412&tire_rim_size=3400

TIA,

Edited by OlGeezer

It's hard to beat Michelin Pilot Road (insert latest version number here). They're not the cheapest tire, but I got 12K miles out of mine the last time I had a set. I've tried others since -- Dunlop Roadsmart Touring, Shinko Podium -- because they were on sale, and about half the price. But they lasted half as long. And I have to add, the Michelins had better dry handling than the others, and the wet handling of the Michelins is in a completely different league than any other tire I've ridden.

I mount my tires myself, so mount/balance cost is less of a factor for me. But my equation looks like this: better handling, same cost/mile, and less labor. My next set of tires is going to be Michelins.

Just my 2 cents. After adjusting for inflation, still arguably worth that!

Plus one on the Michelin Pilot Road tyres. The latest manifestation is version Five - a pal riding a GSA is absolutely knocked-out by their feeling of security and predictability in the wet, plus their legendary hard-wearing composition, especially in the centre section for all those boring miles absolutely vertical on the highway or autovía.

I have the cheaper Mark Four version on my automatic-tranny Honda 750 in the Divided Kingdom, which I fitted after 45K Km on the earlier even-cheaper Version Three. Lovely rubber....

+ 2 on the Michelin. ðŸ‘ðŸ‘. A lot of opinions here on tires and all have a certain amount of validity. Lots of good riders with experience. Ive been running Michelins for a few.years now and LOVE them. I do ride aggressively and get around 9-10 k on the tires before I change them. I use the GTs , i think they are a little stiffer sidewall. The plus side to that is, I've had 2 flats that I rode many miles on at speed before I realized they were flat. Not a recommend procedure but they did protect me from myself. I ride the 1150rt and they do come in the correct size.