IGNORED

F850GT spied.

Bill_Walker

WOW ... now THAT is exciting. Always thinking about the future need for a lighter tourer and with expected cruise control and assume belt drive this could be perfect. Let's home they bring out some nice colors now.

According to the article, seat height could be as low as (gasp) 32.5 inches!!!! Not a low seat height from where I sit.......course I'm inseam-challenged....

According to the article, seat height could be as low as (gasp) 32.5 inches!!! Not a low seat height from where I sit.......course I'm inseam-challenged....

:beer: At 6'3" that is perfect!

Edited by RTinNC
did they keep the belt drive or did they revert to chain?

Can't tell from this. It's not mentioned, and from the photos, the drive is now apparently on the left.

did they keep the belt drive or did they revert to chain?

I was told yesterday by a LEO looking to change his F800GT that this machine will be chain drive.

Was at my dealer yesterday and he suggested this is really more of a S1000XR sports tourer versus an update of the 800GT. Hence the chain drive would make sense. I believe it will be more of a 900cc bike.

The question is how close in price and weight will it be to the RT?

Nice, but no belt drive is a miss in my mind. I would consider it even with that shortcoming given that I have never been fond of land yacht class bikes and my R1200RT LC is as bulky as I would tolerate. Maybe going R1200R with a simple bar mount windscreen is my perfect choice if I were to down size.

At this point we are all guessing - but that prototype looks like they took a GS and changed some parts to explore the potential for the F850GT. They put on smaller diameter allow wheels, changed the exhaust, changed the engine guards, added bags and a top box and some bodywork......and are doing some testing.

However.....if you look at the BMW site for the 2019 models - no belts, no , 700, 750 or 850 R or GT models!

Is BMW simplifying their lineup to make room for 5 different versions of the RnineT - is that what sells? Or is it just too soon to have the other models on their web page? (Forgive me for not being totally up to date on the models.....I am a long time bike owner but only recently a BMW owner).

Is there really no viable market for a 700 - 800cc sport touring bike? That size bike certainly a good fit for my 5'-8" tall, 160 pound body.

Looks like I might have to start shopping for a good used F800GT.

Edited by Thumpin
At this point we are all guessing - but that prototype looks like they took a GS and changed some parts to explore the potential for the F850GT. They put on smaller diameter allow wheels, changed the exhaust, changed the engine guards, added bags and a top box and some bodywork......and are doing some testing.

However.....if you look at the BMW site for the 2019 models - no belts, no , 700, 750 or 850 R or GT models!

Is BMW simplifying their lineup to make room for 5 different versions of the RnineT - is that what sells? Or is it just too soon to have the other models on their web page? (Forgive me for not being totally up to date on the models.....I am a long time bike owner but only recently a BMW owner).

Is there really no viable market for a 700 - 800cc sport touring bike? That size bike certainly a good fit for my 5'-8" tall, 160 pound body.

Unfortunately at least here in the southeast the 800GT did not sell well. Our dealer was selling NEW 800GT for less than $10K in fact I believe they had a few at $8999!

Personally I think a 800-900CC sport tourer is a great idea. Heck my '02 1150GS made 82 HP and the 800GT is more than that I believe.

I made my own version of a small sport touring bike a few years back, and it served me well...and then I test rode a Triumph Tiger 800 XRT.

While not what one might think of as a sport touring bike, the XRT really does fit the bill. Triumph make six versions of the Tiger 800, and the XRT is the loaded street version: cruise, heated grips, heated seats, high capacity alternator, five gallon tank, traction control, various power modes, three 12v accessory ports, comfortable riding position, about 450 lbs, practical seat height...and a low version of the XRT if the rider is extra short in the inseam.

It would be great if someone was offering a lighter, smaller RT, but there are good options out there.

Unfortunately at least here in the southeast the 800GT did not sell well. Our dealer was selling NEW 800GT for less than $10K in fact I believe they had a few at $8999!

Personally I think a 800-900CC sport tourer is a great idea. Heck my '02 1150GS made 82 HP and the 800GT is more than that I believe.

I picked up a 2016 F800GT for 10k this past March. It is a good bike, not a great one. however if the new one has chain I would just ignore it.

as for R9T variations, they are missing the only one I want, I want a R100RS, bags with that protection only fairing. No radio, etc.