IGNORED

R1150RT Gear Lever lost spring downshifting

BMW Commuting Guy

BMW Commuting Guy

Hi, So on a gruesome journey along the M4 yesterday in torrential rain during a pitstop my bike decided to stop downshifting. It gets stuck down rather than springing back to the middle. So I need to put my foot under the level and lift to centre to go down another gear. I noticed sometimes it would come back up after a little bit more journey. Also when I up shift it settles back to middle. So although I have read a lot of comments about it being broken detent springs would this not cause the issues on up and down shifting?

Any other suggestions?

BMW Commuting Guy
Hmm, are you sure it is not just muck or debris in the shift linkage? It is a couple of rose joints and the pivot pin on the LH footrest plate.

Will diagram attached be enough to do what you suggest? Sorry real nube here.

7069.jpg.5349bad14f05736ad46b604f94c3c97f.jpg

Well, it is worth a look. The parts should be accessible from underneath the bike. The rose joints are held in place with spring pins. Don't lose or break them. The lever itself is held on with a bolt.

Take a look at this thread:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=435002

When removing the link between the foot lever and the gearbox gear change shaft, don't undo the lock-nuts or alter the the length of that link. Just remove the spring retainers and slide the link off the ball joint. Clean and reassemble the 3 parts.

A problem from way back years ago was the threaded ball that the linkage clips over would unscrew partially (or worse) and cause large amounts of slop on the shifter .

It may be the issue so check that by pulling the plate. . Any problem with that should be pretty obvious .

Removing the ball, cleaning the threads in and out and applying blue thread sealant should fix it UNLESS any wear is noticed from it slopping around.

The part marked 'retainer' in the foto posted above, is what the estimable Chris Harris always calls 'The Jesus Clip', because he says if you remove and misplace it, your question is always :-

"Where the Jesus is did that effing clip go ?"

That part of the linkage should also have a little sponge-foam-rubber or neoprene washer round its neck, to retain any lube and keep the joint(s) free from sticking and reluctance to return tot heir detente position.

Enjoy his detailed 2-hour instructional video, now available free on the Toob whereas it was previously sold as a DVD. The relevant bits about the gearshift linkage are at :-

Disassembly - 15 minutes 40 secs

And reassembly - 2 hours 14 minutes.

AL in s.e. Spain

BMW Commuting Guy

So I got it fixed! But...

I took the whole footpeg plate off to gain better access. All great! But when i tried to put it back on the frame and shifted ever so slightly so the top bolt would not thread through. In the end I got a jack to push up a section to shift it all back into place. I did in the end!

So I got it fixed! But...

I took the whole footpeg plate off to gain better access. All great! But when i tried to put it back on the frame and shifted ever so slightly so the top bolt would not thread through. In the end I got a jack to push up a section to shift it all back into place. I did in the end!

Yes, that is normal for that to happen.

There are a few ways to deal with it, ranging from popping the bike on the side stand and easing the bike into different positions until the holes align. Another is having it on the centrestand and use a second person to load up the front or rear of the bike unit the holes line up. There is the way you did it with a jack. And the least appropriate way which is using Tommy / Pry Bars (and the like) to try and lever it into position :(