IGNORED

Aftermarket lamp brackets

Tank

I noticed that you went from an 09 to the 2016. I just did the same thing a year ago. I could not believe the difference between the two. Anyway, one thing I did notice was the lighting isn't that good. I don't drive at night that much, but if I did I would definitely be asking the same question.

I went with the BMW auxiliary light brackets. Mounted Clearwater Darla lamps on them.

+1 except I have the EZcan and generic LEDs. I like where these mounts locate the lamp and is nice a solid mount for driving lights

My lamp choice will not be the Clearwater....I followed

a GS from Garberville Ca to Brookings Or. in the dark , can't remember the name of Gary's lamp, but it was impressive

I just installed Denali Cansmart with lights and horn. Very simple plug and play. Well thought out system with great outcome for sound and light. Feel safer already :)

Comes with specific brackets that are well made.

Edited by Trilegy
.... Feel safer already :)

Don't get complacent. Lights won't help at all if someone misses you and your bike with its headlights on, they will still miss you with your other stuff on too. All I'm saying is, be careful.

I have added driving lights and an aftermarket loud horn, but agree it is only an augment the primary safety system, your situational awareness and good riding skills. It all helps! I see too many distracted drivers to count these days, so I just assume every car driver is oblivious to my presence these days. It sure is tough for the cagers to hear and see you with their ear buds in while flipping through their play list and texting someone while driving.

Late to the party but another vote for BMW brackets!

Have them on my RT with Darlas and love that setup as it looks so clean. But for less $$ they also work with Denali D2's

• 1 month later...

I took my RT light brackets and made my own out of mild steel and then mounted inside th e lower radiator scoop.

I made a template if anyone is interested

Miguel

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mig said:

I took my RT light brackets and made my own out of mild steel and then mounted inside the lower radiator scoop.

I made a template if anyone is interested

Miguel

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

I do like what you have done there. Are the templates available as pdf's?

I scanned the plate before I bent it and I have it somewhere, I guess its in Jpeg. 

I'll look for it tonight and I'll see if I can post it

I had to drill thru the outer plastic to reach the inner one for the mount hole,  Once bent I put some teflon wear tape on the back lower edge and when mounted, it rests on the horizontal lip and is nesttled in there tight.  2 short bolts and thats it.

Ok here it is in PDF format,  basic dimensions on the drawing and the surface where I put the wear tape on.

It was made from .090" aluminum that i bought at a metal fabrication shop.  I spoke to the owner about what i was making and so he sold me a piece of scarp he had that he tough would be  workable,  so I don't know what kind of Aluminum sheet it came from. I used basic hand tools and a small vise to bend it.   

Made 2 copies and folded it and held it in place while I lined up the drill and put the 2 holes

I drilled the  back inner plastic  hole thru 1 pre existing hole on the outer black inlet plastic  ( not the fairings)  and the other as you see in the pictures , so only 2 holes on each side made to my new bike :dopeslap:.

If you have a 90 degree drill this should go a lot easier.    Fill all edges smooth, paint, add the nuts and your ready to go.

I transferred the mount nuts from the old brackets and installed the screws from the inside out to pull the nuts/brackets in and keep everything tight.  painted black and they are nearly invisible.

I never did look for a place to buy the mount nuts, but I am sure they are out there.  The are serrated on the outer surface to give you better hold in the hole.  You can always use plain nut and lock washers too.  

I like these because they are tucked in and out of the airflow to the radiators, and If I want to added more light , the new BMW brackets still have a place to go and will put the lights a little farther out than these.

I used the old PIAA harness and used heavy duty double sided mount tape to attach the switch  to the clutch cylinder.

Well  I hope that helps some folks.

My wife says I should sell my plans, But... I guess its too late:classic_biggrin:

bmw brackets.pdf

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

• Like 1