IGNORED

Add Shift Assist on a '15 GS?

Id's_OK

Can "Pro Gear Shift Assistant" be added after the fact, or does it have to come from the factory? If it can be added, is it worth it?

As some of you know, I recently acquired a 2015 GS on fairly short notice. I thought the 2015 GS used the new, simplified option packages (just Std or Premium) and since "Premium" was in the description, thought my new bike had Shift Assist. Since the listing is no longer online I asked the dealer for clarification. My bike has both the Technology Package and the Touring Package and several other individual add-ons, just about every bell and whistle but no PGSA. :dopeslap:

Can "Pro Gear Shift Assistant" be added after the fact, or does it have to come from the factory? If it can be added, is it worth it?

As some of you know, I recently acquired a 2015 GS on fairly short notice. I thought the 2015 GS used the new, simplified option packages (just Std or Premium) and since "Premium" was in the description, thought my new bike had Shift Assist. Since the listing is no longer online I asked the dealer for clarification. My bike has both the Technology Package and the Touring Package and several other individual add-ons, just about every bell and whistle but no PGSA. :dopeslap:

Evening Christopher

Yes, it can (or at least it could last time I checked). Cost for parts is about $675.00 plus whatever the labor is.

Personally I don't use it as I have been shifting BMW's without the clutch for many years now (not under full power but for most normal riding 3rd through 6th gear shifts I just match the throttle & slip it up or down a gear). Very smooth & positive if done correctly.

As some of you know, I recently acquired a 2015 GS on fairly short notice.

:grin: What's really short notice? :S

Sorry, no help on the question. :ohboy:

Thanks, DR. The most appealing thing to me is the double-clutch downshifting but a little extra confidence in clutchless upshifting isn't bad either. But of course, it's BMW so it's $$$!

Mike - you were there, you know. :grin:

If you drive to CA and know how to do it, you can take it off my '17. FREE. Tell ya what. I will call my dealer and ask if it can be removed. You could have it for whatever the labor costs were to me plus the shipping.

If you drive to CA and know how to do it, you can take it off my '17. FREE. Tell ya what. I will call my dealer and ask if it can be removed. You could have it for whatever the labor costs were to me plus the shipping.

Morning KTM Doug

You can remove it but he can't install it (then have it work) as it is more than just parts. It takes a specific re-programming of the bike's computer & the dealer can't do that without purchase of the (dealer only) install kit.

• 1 month later...

I had it added on my 2015 after the fact. I thought it was part of the package when I ordered my bike and it was not included. Grand Junction Harley/BMW ordered the parts and put them in. The system had to be programed to the specific bike. Mine was the first one they had ever done. It took two trips because they could not figure out the programing and had to make several calls to tech support before completing the process. It works fine, no problems what so ever. I find that I forget it is there and hardly ever use it.

Thanks, Tom. It sounds like most people don't use it enough to justify the cost. Unless, of course, KTM Doug really wants to swap out with me. :-)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

My 1.5 cents. I have it on a '15 RT and it was part of a package that had other things I did want. I have used it and find that the only time it is nice to have is riding two up to avoid helmet bumping on up shifts. Downshifts are less smooth overall and particularly in the 3>2>1 shifts. I am much smoother down shifting than the computer period. If I am riding frisky I don't use it much on up shifting as it is a bit wonky under full throttle and would never, ever trust it downshifting when stuffing it into a corner.

IMO if you don't have it as delivered I don't really think is worth the cash to install later.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Tom. It sounds like most people don't use it enough to justify the cost. Unless, of course, KTM Doug really wants to swap out with me. :-)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Hey, I resemble that remark. So, here's the rest of the story. I didn't like the clutchkess thingy cause it didn't work woth a crap. I had never taken the time to drive to my dealer to have it reprogrammed like some folks have done as I really don't see the need for clutchness shifting on this bike. I just got the call that my parts were in to finally do my fork recall, '17 GS. I had previously mentioned to the service rep about the crappy way the clutchless worked. He looked up my bike and it had a notice for a recall on my clutchless shifting module. I never received a notice on this. They replaced it for some reason and reprogrammed.

I headed home and it maybe worked a little better. Decided to hit the cruise control and it was now a no go. WTH happened. So I turned around and went back and asked to see what had gone wrong. Computer said it was showing a cruise control fault. It was not there when they plugged it in earlier. After some messing with stuff, they got it fixed and all worked well going home. The clutchless still seems to work somewhat better but I guess I still won't use it much.

• 3 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider
I think that you should wait and package it with the steer assist pro that BMW is rumored to be working on. :grin:

Shhhhhh.... no spreading rumors about what the OE's are working on! :P:read:

Christopher I have it on my 2015 GSW and I use it most of the time. I especially like it for down shifting, just close the throttle and shift down, smooth as silk. Would I add it after the fact probably not. After you use this GS up you can get on the next one. So get out there and put on some miles! :)

• 3 months later...

I have it on my RT and love it! Maybe “GS” folks dong use it as much but it would be a must have in my next BMW.

Did not use it much before my 6500 mike trip to Salt Lake last summer. Started using it on that trip and WOW! I was sold. Use it mostly on up shifts but folks at my dealer tell me it is great on downshifting especially through twistes . Am told the key on downshifting is to come off the throttle fully. SAP and cruise will be must haves on any future bike purchase for me.