IGNORED

R1150RT Radio Aerial loose

Trav1150

Can anyone please advise how to tighten the radio aerial on an R1150RT? My aerial remained firmly in position for 14 years but recently has become loose. In the hope of accessing a nut behind the front plastic fairing where the aerial is attached to the bike I removed the left side fairing, mirror and dashboard but still cannot gain access to the part of the aerial located behind the front fairing.

Is it necessary to remove the front fairing assembly and/or any other parts to access the rear of the aerial? The fairing is held in place with Tork screws.

Was life really meant to be this complicated? http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/frown.gif

Edited by Trav

I can't tell you how to get to the nut on the aerial but I do know that you don't have to remove the front fairing. My 04 RT did not have the aerial when I bought. I installed it myself and I do know that I did not remove the front fairing to do it. Like you it has been about 14 years since I installed it. I have enough trouble remembering what I did yesterday.

I too would like to better understand the access to the back side of the antenna mount.

The outside plastic base broke on mine, and I have purchased a replacement.... but not sure about how to gain access to the back of there.

I think someone once said about removing the mirror (just push forward) and removing the speaker, but I did not understand that in much detail..

Edited by Redman

Kioolt

I have enough trouble remembering what happened this morning let alone yesterday!!

However, I have fixed the loose aerial problem. After posting my query on the website I then went back to the bike and had a second look at how to access the nut. I had to undo four black Torx screws and five smaller Torx screws holding the front fairing in place. This allowed me to slide the front plastic fairing forward slightly, sufficient to see the rubber boot covering the nut that needed to be tightened. I will outline a fuller response for Redman.

Redman

Accessing the nut that allows you to tighten your loose aerial is quite straight forward and can be done in about 15 minutes once you have removed both side fairings.

1. Remove both mirrors. If you haven't done it before, removing the mirrors is simply a case of bumping them firmly with the palm of your hand. I have found the best way to do this is to bump the outside edge of each mirror towards the front of the bike. They will fall into your other hand without dropping on the ground as the blinker bulb holder prevents this from happening.

2. Once each mirror has been released from the three brass coloured holding points on the bike, unscrew the blinker bulb and place the mirrors well out of your way.

3. On each side of the bike you will see two black Torx screws in the area where the mirror was located. Unscrew both screws on each side of the bike (4 screws in all).

4. In the same area you will also see two smaller Torx screws that should be painted the same colour as your bike. Remove these. There is a fifth Torx screw that needs to be removed but you cannot access it until you complete step 7.

5. It is now necessary to loosen the dashboard. There are three screws around each speaker. The two screws, one above the other, are the same length. The third screw, closer to the centre of the bike, is longer. Once you have removed the three speaker screws on one side of the dashboard do the same on the other side.

6. It is now necessary to loosen the black plastic that covers the top of your dashboard. To do this remove four screws located on the inside of the windscreen and another four on the outside.

7. Slide the black plastic cover upwards. This will enable you to pull the dashboard back slightly towards the rear of the bike. YOU ARE NEARLY THERE Redman!!!!

8. Go to the front of the bike and remove the final Torx screw at the top of the plastic fairing, just below the windscreen. It will be painted the same colour as your bike.

9. Now gently pull the plastic fairing towards you. If you now look down in behind the point where the base of the aerial passes through the front fairing you will notice a black rubber boot. Pull it off to expose the nut you have been looking for!!!!!

10. Tighten the nut and remember to replace the rubber boot. I forgot to do this before reinstalling my dash etc. Fortunately I had not replaced the side fairings so it did not take long to undo all the screws to access the rubber boot.

11. Before pushing the front plastic fairing back into place have a look in behind the fairing. You should see two locating pegs. Be careful to ensure that the cone shaped metal locator remains in place as you push the fairing back into place. Once you have done that it is simply a matter of replacing all the screws.

PLEASE DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE ALL THE SCREWS. As stated above, once the side fairings are off the bike the rest is straight forward and should take no longer than 15 to 20 minutes.

Thanks Trav.

THanks for sharing what you found.

I have read and then studied your instructions in detail, and think I can follow that when I am at the bike. (bike is at distant location).

Thanks.

But then your final comment " once the side fairings are off the bike the rest is straight forward" has me a bit puzzled.

"Side Fairing"?? Side mirrors?

>>later note:

Speaking of the bike being at a distant location: I will also need to determine what size of allen (torx?) driver to take with me or get there (daughter and SIL dont have much for tools there).

Edited by Redman