BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1000086 - 11/02/17 02:08 AM 2006 RT stall while hot  
Buckster Offline
Buckster  Offline

north of Medina, Texas
Recently while stuck in very slow moving Austin traffic for about 45 minutes (90 degrees), my 2006 RT got up to just over 3/4 on the temp gauge (no red triangle though) then stalled. I was able to restart it and had to keep the rpms up above 1500. Then it stalled again and would not start. I pushed it off to the side and waited about 10 mins. The engine did restart and I moved out. It stalled several mins later but restarted. Traffic started moving and the temp gauge came down to normal while I rode the 2 hours home. However the engine has a miss now. I am hoping that the miss is caused by a bad sparkplug which are due to be changed. The RT has just over 100K and I have changed the idle controllers about 20K ago.
Anyone else have a similar situation?

2006 R1200RT
Dark Graphite Metallic
White Aluminum Metallic engine spoiler
#1000094 - 11/02/17 11:18 AM Re: 2006 RT stall while hot [Re: Buckster]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Buckster
Recently while stuck in very slow moving Austin traffic for about 45 minutes (90 degrees), my 2006 RT got up to just over 3/4 on the temp gauge (no red triangle though) then stalled. I was able to restart it and had to keep the rpms up above 1500. Then it stalled again and would not start. I pushed it off to the side and waited about 10 mins. The engine did restart and I moved out. It stalled several mins later but restarted. Traffic started moving and the temp gauge came down to normal while I rode the 2 hours home. However the engine has a miss now. I am hoping that the miss is caused by a bad sparkplug which are due to be changed. The RT has just over 100K and I have changed the idle controllers about 20K ago.
Anyone else have a similar situation?

Morning Buckster

Difficult to tell you much with the limited info but with the engine now having a miss that sort of points to a failing stick coil, or as you mention a spark plug issue, or even a valve issue.

First you need to find the reason for the miss (verify stick coil operation, check spark plugs, possibly give the engine a compression test, etc).

Then repair the reason for the miss.

Then see if your stalling goes away.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!