Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1000102 - 11/02/17 01:31 PM Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app  
Pickaxe Online
Pickaxe  Online

Worcestershire, England
Hi,

Looking at my profile, it's been many years since I was on the forum or owned a BM. However, I'm now the proud owner of a new R1200RT and fully intend it to be a keeper. smile. So hello again everybody wave

I'm hoping that someone can give me a definitive answer to a Garmin Navigator 6 sat nav question I have.

My bike, which I believe is a MY2018 model, fitted with the latest Nav 6 works very well, albeit, costing twice as much as it probably should frown

One aspect that disappoints me is that it doesn't, or won't display the 'My Motorcycle' application that's been available when fitted on the 1200GS version for years. I've read that some RT owners can access this app on both Nav 5 & 6s, so I'm keen to find a work around for my bike or find out for certain that it's a no go.

Any thoughts or experience would be gratefully received.

Regards

Dave

#1000103 - 11/02/17 01:42 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
marcopolo Offline
marcopolo  Offline

Alexandria, VA/Ottawa, Canada
As I understand it, it's a function of the bike, more so than the Nav itself. I had the Nav V, and now the Nav VI, and both displayed all the My Motorcycle info because I have a 2015 GSA. It should do the same on a MY 2018 RT. Do ypu not know what year your bike is?

Mark
2015 R 1200 GS Adventure
#1000104 - 11/02/17 01:48 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
Pickaxe Online
Pickaxe  Online

Worcestershire, England
I'm led to believe it's a 2018 MY but I haven't checked for sure. It's got the RT logo on the pillion seat which I'm told is new for this year?

#1000110 - 11/02/17 03:42 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
mileypop Offline
Newer Member
mileypop  Offline
Newer Member

United Kingdom, Leicestershir...
Originally Posted by Pickaxe
I'm led to believe it's a 2018 MY but I haven't checked for sure. It's got the RT logo on the pillion seat which I'm told is new for this year?

If it's got the Euro 4 Orange reflectors on the front forks it's a MY17/ 18 & the Nav will show 'My Motorcycle '.

Vini Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Miles
#1000145 - 11/03/17 10:02 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: mileypop]  
Pickaxe Online
Pickaxe  Online

Worcestershire, England
Originally Posted by mileypop

If it's got the Euro 4 Orange reflectors on the front forks it's a MY17/ 18 & the Nav will show 'My Motorcycle '.

mileypop,

It has, but unfortunately it doesn't. However, you seem very definite in your post, have you anything I can mention to the dealer in support of my inquiries?

Regards

Dave

#1000148 - 11/03/17 10:37 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
AndyS Online
AndyS  Online

Somerset, Great Britain.
What is this 'My motorcycle' you talk of? I have Nav 6. If you tell me what I am looking for, I will check mine.

#1000154 - 11/03/17 12:46 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: AndyS]  
Pickaxe Online
Pickaxe  Online

Worcestershire, England
Originally Posted by AndyS
What is this 'My motorcycle' you talk of? I have Nav 6. If you tell me what I am looking for, I will check mine.

Hi AndyS,

I am told you have to put the Nav 6 in the cradle and have the ignition on. If you select the 'apps' pages it should be there (you may have to scroll through several screens to view all the apps).

Thanks

Dave

#1000158 - 11/03/17 01:18 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
mileypop Offline
Newer Member
mileypop  Offline
Newer Member

United Kingdom, Leicestershir...
Originally Posted by mileypop

mileypop,

It has, but unfortunately it doesn't. However, you seem very definite in your post, have you anything I can mention to the dealer in support of my inquiries?

Regards

Dave

Sorry Dave can't help you... When I picked up the RT I didn't know & wasn't told of any changes. It was only sometime later that I happened onto the fact that the 'my motorcycle ' app was working. It doesn't really bother me if it's there or not, as most of the information can be got from the bike anyway. And do I want to know my lean angles and how many times I've changed gear?

Vini Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Miles
#1000217 - 11/04/17 05:58 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
WBinDE Offline
WBinDE  Offline

Delaware
My Motorcycle is an app that has 3 sub-apps. One (Information) only works when the unit is in the cradle on the bike, two (Status, Last Ride) only work when it's off the bike
  • INFORMATION: Reads information from the bike and can display up to 16 data items including all odometers, range, mileage, outside temp, coolant temp, tire pressure, speed. Can also display GPS information: sunrise/sunset, location, elevation, heading. There's more information available than it can display at once so you pick what you want. NOTE: speed display is just a digital display of the bike's inaccurate speedometer, it's not the accurate GPS speed.
  • STATUS: Reads information from the bike and displays VIN, mileage, next service information
  • LAST RIDE: Reads information from the bike and displays tripmeters, avg speed, economy, temp (engine and ambient), number of gear shifts, average throttle position, number of times you appied the front and rear brakes. Rumor has it that it used to display lean angle too but BMW decided that too many people took it as a dare rather than an information point, so it disappeared during a firmware update.

It's only available if the bike's ECU enables it. I had a Nav V on my RT, no My Motorcycle. Took it off and put it in the cradle of a GS - there it was. Took it off the GS and put it back on the RT - gone. It's always been available on the WC GS's (maybe oil cooled too, I don't know) but not on the RT or K1600. I think I read something about how it's been made available on the RT and K1600 for 2018 or maybe 2017 (possibly in connection with upgrading the ECU for Euro 4 emissions? IDK). I can't speak to the situation for the R 1200 RS or R.

I find the INFORMATION display is really useful, the others not so much. Saves much scrolling through menus to find things I want to know.

Bottom line, if your bike's ECU allows it, you'll see it; if not - not. Nothing a dealer can fix other than by selling you a bike that supports it.

Last edited by WBinDE; 11/04/17 06:00 PM.

2016 R1200 GSA
#1000243 - 11/05/17 11:45 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: WBinDE]  
Pickaxe Online
Pickaxe  Online

Worcestershire, England
WBinDE,

I think you're totally correct in your description.

It just begs the question as to why some RT owners seem to get the app and others don't?

Also in the case of RTs with control of the sat nav through the handlebar wheel, surely it's only a case of updating ECU software to gain the app and the extra information it gives. The actual electronic differences between the various R models can't be that much.

As you say, all that information on one page is quite useful when you're not following a map route, and when you're paying an awful lot of money for a motorcycle and sat nav system, it's nice to have every available bell and whistle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3