IGNORED

Gas cap not always wants to open with keyless system

peteo

I have had the gas cap refuse to open a few times with the keyless system. This past Saturday I tried half a dozen times before it finally opened. I had even turned the ignition on and off. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar problem. The battery in the FOB was replaced in July so I don't think that is the issue.

I've had that problem a few times recently on my 2015 RT. Try pushing down on the cap when it happens, as if you are trying to latch it. Every time it happened I could get it to open immediately after I pushed down on the cap. When I pushed down, I could almost feel, or hear, a slight click like something was disengaging. Hope that made sense.

Edited by Onegrecook

I haven't had any problems so far on my 2015 RT, but figured out early on that the ignition needs to be off to be able to open the gas cap (who reads that section in the manual). Wondered if this could become problematic and any gasoline spillage could wash away any lubrication on that latch. I'll have to put on my do once a season list to give that latch a drip or two of LPS

I believe there is a 90 second limit from the time you turn off the bike to open the gas cap. After that it relocks so no one can tamper with it after you park and walk away.

I wonder if it could be electronic interference? At one of my normal gas stops i always have to roll the bike a foot or so past the pump before i can turn the bike back on, if i don't i get a red dot on the screen when i push the button. At all of the other stations i use i haven't had that problem.

See how it acts in the garage away from any electronic noise like the gas pump credit card readers.

I've had that problem a few times recently on my 2015 RT. Try pushing down on the cap when it happens, as if you are trying to latch it. Every time it happened I could get it to open immediately after I pushed down on the cap. When I pushed down, I could almost feel, or hear, a slight click like something was disengaging. Hope that made sense.

Yeah, this has always worked for me when the cap is reluctant to open. You just need to relieve the pressure on the latch.

Same for me. Push down on the cap, then lift the latch.

Bigger (but nit-picky) complaint for me is that the dang thing is hinged in the wrong direction.

Same for me. Push down on the cap, then lift the latch.

Bigger (but nit-picky) complaint for me is that the dang thing is hinged in the wrong direction.

Yeah!! - What were they thinking / how hard is it to get these simple things right??