Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#999854 - 10/29/17 05:40 AM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: Skywagon]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Gee, I wonder what could make an RT get lousy gas mileage while running on I-10 west of San Antonio? I think it might be gasoline-induced headwinds.

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#999856 - 10/29/17 11:24 AM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: TEWKS]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Morning_____

I just got new Goldwing info sent to yesterday.

2108 Goldwing info

Last edited by dirtrider; 10/29/17 11:26 AM. Reason: add link

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#999857 - 10/29/17 11:50 AM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: dirtrider]  
TEWKS Offline
TEWKS  Offline

Tewksbury, MA.
The 1,833 cc horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine now features four-valve heads and a single, Unicam design. This is the same system that originated in the CRF450R and was adopted for the Africa Twin.

dr, I assume this means valve checks or adjustments at some point? Simple maintenance is a big seller IMO. And, something that I'd love to have on a touring bike! thumbsup

Pat

Last edited by TEWKS; 10/29/17 11:51 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
#999858 - 10/29/17 12:18 PM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: TEWKS]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Interesting, but is lacking a number scale for both HP and torque, which I find curious.

[Linked Image]

Quote from the Revzilla article.

"First and foremost, they want to focus on getting existing Gold Wing customers onto this machine. Second, they want capture returning Gold Wing customers, folks who may have owned a Wing at one point but who now ride something different. And lastly, they want to attract a new, younger audience to the touring market by pulling them off of their current machines and getting them onto a Gold Wing. I think that final segment is still going to be their biggest challenge."

Everyone in the MC industry is facing the same issues. BMWMOA has struggled for years with a decreasing membership and their strategy of retain, re-capture and recruit new members hasn't shown any measurable increase in membership, though it seems to have stopped membership decreases. In a February, 1996 column in Cycle World, Peter Egan titled "The Same Guy", recounted a conversation with a MC rep who reviewed new bike sales from the 60's to then. He commented that buyers of new bikes over a 30 year period were the same people, just getting older.

The recreational sailing industry is facing that problem as well. The younger generation doesn't want to spend the time to learn how to sail. The costs are high and the lack of speed is a detriment. Compared to getting a PWC, going to the lake for a couple of hours fun and then parking it back in your garage, sailing is just too much effort.

This trend is also a problem for membership organizations as well. The Moose, Lions and Masons are facing the same issues. Younger people find their social outlets to be much different than their parents generation. The digital revolution has much to do with this change.

And, looking at pictures from UN's going back over a decade, it seems to be true of us as well. Lots of the same people, hair (if we have any) and beards getting more grey.

As current, long time owners of GW's age out of the sport, and the price of new GW's continue to rise, it's not surprising that sale of GW's has declined over time. Will there be enough younger, affluent riders to reverse the trend? dontknow

Last edited by Bud; 10/29/17 12:46 PM.

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#999859 - 10/29/17 12:21 PM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: TEWKS]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by TEWKS
The 1,833 cc horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine now features four-valve heads and a single, Unicam design. This is the same system that originated in the CRF450R and was adopted for the Africa Twin.

dr, I assume this means valve checks or adjustments at some point? Simple maintenance is a big seller IMO. And, something that I'd love to have on a touring bike! thumbsup

Pat

Morning Pat

Difficult to tell until all the specs are out. Honda might have figured out a way to incorporate hydraulic valve lash control like on the earlier Wings. In any case boxer engines are usually pretty easy to do valve checks on.

D.R. ___
#999860 - 10/29/17 12:29 PM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: Bud]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Bud
Interesting, but is lacking a number scale for both HP and torque, which I find curious.

Morning Bud

It was probably the correct move, if they used defined numbers then they would have to also define the dyno type, ambient temps in test cell, air temperature at intake, air pressure, humidity, etc. on BOTH the new & the old at test time. If they didn't match exactly then there would be great controversy about the test numbers being comparable. The way they portray it now it is just a simple comparison of new to old so not a lot of details to confuse.

Dyno numbers lie like crazy if not followed by all the definers.

Last edited by dirtrider; 10/29/17 12:33 PM.

D.R. ___
#999861 - 10/29/17 12:29 PM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: dirtrider]  
TEWKS Offline
TEWKS  Offline

Tewksbury, MA.
Thanks D.R., that would be nice. thumbsup Can Am figured it out with their 1330 triple motor so it can be done.

Pat

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
#999863 - 10/29/17 12:43 PM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: TEWKS]  
mrzoom Offline
mrzoom  Offline

Tulsa, OK
Wow, an electronic marvel. All the bells sound good but... who is going to trouble shoot all the electronics when they go bad??
Most dealers don't have a tech that can trouble shoot these systems.
Yes Honda has many dealers but out here in the open plains of Oklahoma and the rest of the West I often see a Honda Dealer that
has only dirt oriented bikes and quads and very few street machines. They have to sell what their area needs to survive but will they be able
to work on this new rocket ship if a traveler passing through and needs assistance??
As to Honda, their reputation has been seriously damaged with the release of the 2018 Odyssey.
The Odyssey was supposed to be the flagship of the mini van world but it has arrived with poor
fit and finish and the problems with the electronic systems makes one wonder what happened at Honda.
Time will tell if the motorcycle division does a better job.
Yes, I'll take a look when the models arrive. This sport has come a long way from my first 1962 Harley Sprint tongue.

MrZoom
2013 RT
The rest are history
If everything is under control your not going fast enough!!!
#999868 - 10/29/17 02:14 PM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: Skywagon]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Originally Posted by Skywagon
Dang Terry how much wind were you pushing...I don't even start looking for fuel until I am 250 miles.... at 160 miles that's aoout 26mpg... You sure you weren't describing your motorhome smile

Well, it actually calculated to be 33 mpg. Not sure how much reserve is actually left in the tank when the lights come on. It probably varies with bikes, and load, etc. I-10 West of Kerrville, Texas has posted 80 mph speed limits. I set the cruise on 89 mph for over two tanks of fuel. There was a front coming through, so there was probably a headwind on top of that. I don't push my luck on fuel, I stop and get some when near the reserve.

On the other hand, I have gone over 330 miles before the fuel light came on when riding the Blue Ridge Parkway! When traveling typical Interstates I probably go 220-240 miles between stops for fuel. I don't always wait on the light......

#1000122 - 11/02/17 08:51 PM Re: New Goldwing anyone? [Re: TEWKS]  
CommuterChris Offline
CommuterChris  Offline

Dallas, Georgia
I guess the one big outstanding issue I have where i am is no Honda dealers allow test rides of anything

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6