IGNORED

Valve cover Bolt - Snapped

Cinko

SO just finished all my maintenance (valves, brakes, spark plugs, gaskets, oils, and filters) and took the bike out for a quick ride to make sure everything was running smoothly before taking it out for a longer ride today.

When I got back I noticed under both the new gaskets on the valve cover I saw a little oil starting to wet the bottom of the gasket. These are brand new gaskets and the bolts torque to 8nm ... it seemed like such a low amount of torque I thought maybe I'd tighten down just a little more...

Snap.

OK I deserved that... Ill order another valve cover Bolt set and drill out the old screw...but what is causing the oil build up if it wasn't from the bolts being too loose?

I cleaned both the head and the valve cover throughly and the seat was spotless between them and the new valve cover... was I supposed to use a gasket sealer or compound on the gasket? What am I missing here?

Edited by Cinko

Also, for about 30 bucks you should go to JVB Productions and get yourself one of his vids. I remember him distinctly telling you/me not to over torque the valve cover bolts. :eek:

Pat

SO just finished all my maintenance (valves, brakes, spark plugs, gaskets, oils, and filters) and took the bike out for a quick ride to make sure everything was running smoothly before taking it out for a longer ride today.

When I got back I noticed under both the new gaskets on the valve cover I old see a little oil starting t9 wet the bottom of the gasket. These are brand new gaskets and the bolts torque to 8nm ... it seemed like such a low amount of torque I thought maybe I'd tighten down just a little more...

Snap.

OK I deserved that... Ill order another valve cover Bolt set and drill out the old screw...but what is causing the oil build up if it wasn't from the bolts being too loose?

I cleaned both the head and the valve cover throughly and the seat was spotless between them and the new valve cover... was I supposed to use a gasket sealer or compound on the gasket? What am I missing here?

Afternoon Cinko

Those valve cover bolts have shoulders on them so once the shoulder bottoms out there is no gain by trying to tighten them any farther. (they just break off, strip, or the boss in the cyl heads breaks)

As to the leaks, I don't know, if the gaskets are correct, installed correctly then they shouldn't leak (I haven't ever had one leak). Is it possible that oil was on the bottom from dripping during service?

In any case do not use any sealer on the gaskets.

Do not try to overtighten those valve cover bolts as the little threaded bosses in the cyl head are easy to break (look at the top right boss in the picture below)

mUglxrq.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

Check that center gasket around the spark plug hole...for years the source of pain and suffering for home and shop mechanics. in 94 I took my new RS into one of the premier dealers in the Bay Area and, yep, a load of oil graced my boot by the time I got to Palo Alto.

Beemer Boneyard only lists one PN fro the center gasket for single or twin spark. BMW lists two and having each in your hand, it's almost impossible to tell them apart.

The PN is cast into them or partially is.

That being said I know they sell hundreds of them likely without problem .

If you got your parts from a dealer, check to see what you got.

And yes, it could have been residual oil dribble.

Thanks everyone, reordered bolts and had to order another easy out pack as I have no idea what I did with my last set. Parts should be in friday.

Ill pull both valve covers and double check the new gaskets... im hoping it was just residual.

The worst part of the hole thing is it was sunny and 70 degrees on Saturday and I had no plans but to ride.. and all I could do was look at her. :(

Well fingers crossed next weekend is nice still.

Thanks everyone, reordered bolts and had to order another easy out pack as I have no idea what I did with my last set. Parts should be in friday.

Ill pull both valve covers and double check the new gaskets... im hoping it was just residual.

The worst part of the hole thing is it was sunny and 70 degrees on Saturday and I had no plans but to ride.. and all I could do was look at her. :(

Well fingers crossed next weekend is nice still.

Morning Cinco

Be very/very careful if trying to use an easy out as those things are mis-named. They should be called "very-easy-to-break-off".

Personally I don't use those darn things as they usually cause more problems than they solve. Unless you can basically spin the broken bolt out with your fingers then an easy out can expand the small broken piece & really jam it in the threads. (or simply break off in the bolt)

I usually do a small L/H drill hole to start the process (core drill it) then when I move to slightly larger Left Hand drill bit that usually gets about half way through & catches then the broken piece spins right out on the L/H drill bit.

I too like using left hand drill bits for fasteners that are stuck or broken.

The combination of vibration, heat and torque applied for the most part in the correct direction can make life a lot easier than otherwise could be.

Just to update, couldn't find left hand out drills by me so ended up just using an easy-out... came out easy and clean. Put the new bolt back in and it's running perfect. It looks like it was in fact just over flow from the initial gasket replacement.

Thanks guys.