BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1000279 - 11/05/17 09:12 PM R1100r no run no start.  
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
PJ Gerstenberger Offline
Newer Member
PJ Gerstenberger  Offline
Newer Member

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Good afternoon all.
I have an 01 r1100r with a little over 100k on the clock. Currently I have a no run situation because of no fuel. Pump does not run. Pump is good. When I apply ground to pin one of the fuel pump harness and 12 v to pin 2. Pump runs fine. I have constant 12 v to pin 3 with ign on. Pin 2 does not provide 12 v at all, it is supposed to for a couple seconds I believe. Bypassed sidestand switch, no difference. Exchanged relays, no change.
Curious what to look at next. There is one other thing going on. Mc will not start from starter button. Jump the solenoid on the starter, bike would start and run fine. Just wouldn’t start when I thumbed the starter button. I went to move the bike to safety when hurricane Irma came through Florida, but I discovered the additional no fuel pump problem.. so I secured the bike as best I could, and prayed for the best. Back on fixing the R after the hurricane cleanup. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s the starter switch itself. It controls both the starter and the fuel pump... and I have neither but both motors are good. Logic would dictate.... right? If someone could share a trouble shooting technique for the starter switch on thes mc I’d really appreciate it. Or any other suggestions. I for one, really appreciate this wonderful community and resource. Thanks.

Update: when I jump terminal 30 and 85 at starter relay, starter engages. When I thumb the starter switch, I get 12v at terminal 87. Am I looking at a bad starter relay?









Last edited by PJ Gerstenberger; 11/05/17 09:57 PM.
#1000282 - 11/05/17 10:10 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: PJ Gerstenberger]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle
Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
Ohio
Originally Posted by PJ Gerstenberger
Good afternoon all.
I have an 01 r1100r with a little over 100k on the clock. Currently I have a no run situation because of no fuel. Pump does not run. Pump is good. When I apply ground to pin one of the fuel pump harness and 12 v to pin 2. Pump runs fine. I have constant 12 v to pin 3 with ign on. Pin 2 does not provide 12 v at all, it is supposed to for a couple seconds I believe. Bypassed sidestand switch, no difference. Exchanged relays, no change.
Curious what to look at next. There is one other thing going on. Mc will not start from starter button. Jump the solenoid on the starter, bike would start and run fine. Just wouldn’t start when I thumbed the starter button. I went to move the bike to safety when hurricane Irma came through Florida, but I discovered the additional no fuel pump problem.. so I secured the bike as best I could, and prayed for the best. Back on fixing the R after the hurricane cleanup. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s the starter switch itself. It controls both the starter and the fuel pump... and I have neither but both motors are good. Logic would dictate.... right? If someone could share a trouble shooting technique for the starter switch on thes mc I’d really appreciate it. Or any other suggestions. I for one, really appreciate this wonderful community and resource. Thanks.




Evening PJ Gerstenberger

Start by checking fuse # 6 (fuel pump fuse) & check fuse 1 (for starter issue).

If the fuses are good then it sort of still points to the side stand switch so make darn sure that is by-passed correctly.

If nothing found (12v wise) at the fuses (1 & 6) then verify the red wires on the battery + post are not broken or corroded.

About all you can do next is start tracking 12v B+ power from the battery to the ign switch then to the starter & fuel pump relays. Then make sure the relay sockets have the proper 12v (battery 12v) to the correct cavities & make sure that you have proper 12v (ign switch on) 12v to the correct relay cavities.

Also, look for broken wires in the main harness at the steering neck area (especially around the zip ties).

Once you have the power flow tracked down & verified then you can move on to things like the Motronic & other low side controls.










Last edited by dirtrider; 11/05/17 10:10 PM.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000284 - 11/05/17 10:17 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: PJ Gerstenberger]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle
Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
Ohio
Originally Posted by PJ Gerstenberger


Update: when I jump terminal 30 and 85 at starter relay, starter engages. When I thumb the starter switch, I get 12v at terminal 87. Am I looking at a bad starter relay?


Evening PJ Gerstenberger

This doesn't make sense-- Do you by chance have terminal 85 & 87 confused? Pushing the starter button should give you 12v to terminal 85 not terminal 87. Jumping 30 to 87 should crank the starter.


D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000285 - 11/05/17 10:21 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: dirtrider]  
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
PJ Gerstenberger Offline
Newer Member
PJ Gerstenberger  Offline
Newer Member

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Thank you for that dirt rider. When you say bypassed correctly, all that is involved is jumpering the two wires to the switch, correct?

Last edited by PJ Gerstenberger; 11/05/17 10:22 PM.
#1000286 - 11/05/17 10:25 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: PJ Gerstenberger]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle
Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
Ohio
Originally Posted by PJ Gerstenberger
Thank you for that dirt rider. When you say bypassed correctly, all that is involved is jumpering the two wires to the switch, correct?


Evening PJ Gerstenberger

Yes, but the connections must be good with good continuity. With key (on) do you have 12v at the connection you made at the side stand switch (both into & out)?


D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000288 - 11/05/17 10:31 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: dirtrider]  
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
PJ Gerstenberger Offline
Newer Member
PJ Gerstenberger  Offline
Newer Member

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Im Sure you are correct and have them confused. Yes, I have 12 v w ignition on in and out of the sidestand switch.

#1000289 - 11/05/17 10:40 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: PJ Gerstenberger]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle
Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
Ohio
Originally Posted by PJ Gerstenberger
Im Sure you are correct and have them confused. Yes, I have 12 v w ignition on in and out of the sidestand switch.


Evening PJ Gerstenberger

Then the starter problem does sort of point to a bad starter relay OR you have a bad neutral switch or and/or bad clutch switch. (does neutral light come on & is it on when attempting to crank the starter?) Or you have open circuits on 86 & 86a.


D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000291 - 11/05/17 11:27 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: PJ Gerstenberger]  
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
PJ Gerstenberger Offline
Newer Member
PJ Gerstenberger  Offline
Newer Member

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Neutral switch does illuminate, but it has been sluggish for years.
Hassle of replacing.?. well I live with it.
I actually ordered the relay Friday from 441 Cycle, my local dealer.

Last edited by PJ Gerstenberger; 11/06/17 12:20 AM.
#1000309 - 11/06/17 11:11 AM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: PJ Gerstenberger]  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,836
Jim Moore Offline
Member
Jim Moore  Offline
Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,836
Jax, FL
Does the bike start when you jump the starter relay, or does the starter simply spin?

Has the HES been replaced on that bike?


Jim Moore Jax, FL '99 R1100S '02 R1150GS
#1000310 - 11/06/17 12:12 PM Re: R1100r no run no start. [Re: PJ Gerstenberger]  
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
PJ Gerstenberger Offline
Newer Member
PJ Gerstenberger  Offline
Newer Member

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
Jim,

When I jump the starter relay it just spins. It has no fuel because fuel pump is not getting voltage to pin 2 on the fuel pump harness.
I'm on my third Hall sender. Last one installed about 8K miles ago. What I find interesting is that the bike began not starting
with the starter button about a month before the fuel pump problem manifested. I could start the bike by jumping the
starter solenoid, and it would fun fine. Went to move the bike a few miles to safety before Irma, and bike would not
start at all. It would start on ether... and still will, so I have spark, but no fuel supply. I'm still thinking it could be the
kill switch part of the starter button. Could be different cause for each problem. I'm still looking for a way to trouble shoot the kill switch
portion of the starter button. It may still be involved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.009s Queries: 14 (0.002s) Memory: 2.8032 MB (Peak: 2.9896 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 10:13:30 UTC