IGNORED

Undecided

gatormanpc

I just turned 50 and I'm looking to start riding again. I spent my youth on dirt bikes and crotch rockets and now I'm trying to decide between a 1200 adventure or a 1600 GT. My wife and I camp a lot and pull our trailer with a 2017 long bed dually. I'm looking for something we can get around on and also haul in the bed of the truck. I like the idea of the adventure but i'm wondering just how much I'll use the "adventure" part. mostly we do beach runs and drives through the mountains. I have sat on both bikes and they both feel awesome, I think the adventure would be more practical but the GT would be more fun. any insight, or two up riders feedback would be helpful

In my opinion the 1600 is way too much to start back with.

The "Adventure" 1200 GS isn't going to do what you are thinking about better than the standard version. In fact it is heavier.

Neither are good bikes to put in the bed of a truck. Sure, if you have a really good place to load them, then a very good place to unload them, you will be fine. If you are using 4 wheeler type ramps from level ground, then prepare for the worst case. These are just too big and heavy to manhandle into the truck. I back a truck into a ditch here at the house so the ramps are nearly level, and unload the same way. A small trailer is the way to go if you want to take the bike along. It will make EVERYTHING a lot less stressful!

Consider buying something used and getting back into riding for a few months at least. Then move up after you have a better feel for what will be best for you.

Welcome to forum, good to have you here. Have you ridden the GSA and the 1600? If not, you should do so, preferably with your wife as her comfort is the key. And don't discount the RT meeting your requirements either.

Be well.

Terry

Good advice above. Be sure to test ride the RT. You might be surprised how well it will work for the both of you.

Glad to have you here. :clap: Welcome to the family :wave: Friendly folks and a couple of "old pharts". :grin:

Welcome.

Forget putting into the truck.

Get one of the trailers that ez load by dropping

to ground level to load.

More money up front, but worth it wrt time, safety, and ease.

Two up?

Put some miles on the bike first.

Five thousand or so in every condition.

Get comfortable gear.

Get communication set up.

Practice mount/dismount, stop/go parking lot turns, slow speed.

Both bikes are big and two up requires practice.

IMO, what bike is relatively subjective.

Depending on your size and pillion, luggage needs, distance between stops, differencs between the two will

be noticeable.

Best wishes.

I agree with the above sentiments regarding both of those being large bikes to regularly load/unload solo into/out of a truck bed. BUT I understand a trailer is not an option because you are already pulling a travel trailer. If you've got the money to buy a new bike maybe you also have the money to buy one of the systems that mounts in the bed of your truck and loads the bike for you? If not, I'd lower the bike budget to as used a model as it takes to be able to afford one - you'll be much more likely to use whatever bike you have if loading/unloading is easy.

As for which bike - well, both of those are big and heavy and if you're not going to go off-road and don't need a huge gas tank, no reason for the A as a regular GS will do. As above, go ride them all and see what works. Practice a lot, per tallman, before putting your wife on the back for a ride BUT DO have her sit on the back (on the center stand) of each at the shop and see what she thinks.

A power lift might make hauling a R1200 or even a K1600 possible, but hauling that much weight would not be fun. It sounds like most of your usage would be for relatively short trips from camp, so there is no real need for a big mile-muncher. Comfort requirements change considerably when the trip time drops from all-day to an hour or two. Something in the 650-800cc range (or even smaller) would be much easier to load and make off-pavement excursions easier.

Consider buying something used and getting back into riding for a few months at least. Then move up after you have a better feel for what will be best for you.

Excellent advice, and not only from a financial standpoint. More options and no heavy investment and any loss when selling on can be likened to 'rent' . I'd actually consider any of the 'naked' sport bikes , BMW like the 1100R or 1200R or any of the Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki variants. Lighter but still with enough power to make a fun transition back to riding. Another factor not mentioned is size ... not to be indelicate ... but you and wife. Although you did say you have sat on them so you have an idea of bar reach and foot reach to ground, going from dirt and sport bikes years ago to two up on big, heavy bikes is not to be underestimated.

For the use you're talking about, and especially coming back after a long time away from riding (you'll be surprised at how rusty you are), I think a nice, used Kawasaki KLR650 would be ideal, if it's not too tall. Maybe find a lowered one. And especially if you're going to be hauling it around in the bed of a pickup. If something goes wrong in loading or unloading a K1600, you and your wife are not going to be able to pick it up. And if you drop the KLR, it won't be a big deal.

I hauled my 1150RT in an F150 once. Even with good triple-wide arched ramps, a wheel chock in the bed, the wheels of the truck in the gutter and the ramps on a driveway that sloped up from the street, riding that beast on by myself scared the hell out of me. For unloading, I had help and it was no big deal. On the other hand, I've loaded and unloaded my KLX250S a couple of times, and that's easy. I don't even need to use the engine. Now, since you spent your youth on dirt bikes, you may have a lot more experience loading and unloading bikes than I do. But a 600+ lb street bike is a far different beast than a 200-300 lb dirt bike.

lots to consider - we have talked about getting a toy hauler in the future, and I do already have a low to the ground trailer. Most of our trips are under 300 miles for now, I have considered having the wife pull the bike and me the trailer-just hate going in 2 vehicles .

Over the past two months, my truck has been having A/C issues. Since the shop that I use is only open m-f, I only get a chance to drop off or pick the truck up every other Friday due to location my work schedule. With that said, I've been loading and unloading the RT in the back of my truck by myself just as Terry said by "de-angling" the ramps. Piece of cake and this is a short box truck. With a long bed and being a dually, you'd have to de-angle a bit more but easily doable-----forget the naysayers and safety sams, do what you feel comfortable with loading a bigger bike ain't that difficult.

lots to consider - we have talked about getting a toy hauler in the future, and I do already have a low to the ground trailer. Most of our trips are under 300 miles for now, I have considered having the wife pull the bike and me the trailer-just hate going in 2 vehicles .

A mc can be a significant expenditure.

So, start over.

Sell your TT and get one with a toy hauler.

We looked last year and there are a ton of them out there.

We found brand new with lots of goodies for under $15k, plenty with all you need under $11k, and beautiful used ones for 1/2 of that.

One fall, with a BMW, could theoretically cause a$ much damage to your wallet as any monie$ you would invest in a new to tyou toy hauler.

2 vehicles, not so much fun

Sell or trade the current TT.

Toy haulers can be fun.

So many issues solved.

Best wishes.

Issue I see with conventional TT and this is having to hook up/disconnect from the TT

every time you on/off move.

Maybe arrive, unhook TT, move truck, unload mc, move truck back.

Depending on campsite,,,

Could work.

I know people who tow big 39' 5th wheel behind truck and have mc trailer behind that...

Whatever works.

Safe travel.

Ahh, the old toy hauler, you can definitely put alot of weight in one.

14738326180_72303818c5_b.jpg

14921916551_75598ffe4d_b.jpg

14924999155_c114842cbf_b.jpg

14921916421_d9aedd638d_b.jpg

I miss the Jeep more than the camper. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten a 5er with a forward bedroom and open rear area (not a separate garage).

Have always regretted selling my toyhauler, more specifically a small car trailer with living quarters that had torsion axles that make it lower and tow better (great place for storing the bike too). Chances are you'll actually use the bike more if loading/unloading is easy. Another option would be an RT pulling one of the small trailers loaded with tent and gear. RT or GS platform is great for adventures, an African Twin is a great little bike too, not too tall and plenty of zoom and much cheaper to get into. My son just bought one and I was very impressed, just don't blip the throttle on the DCT model LOL.

You can triple tow (trailer behind a trailer) in all the states west of the Appalachians including Maryland but wouldn't work if you live in an eastern seaboard state (although I see people doing it occasionally on I-75 in Fla because thy're coming from states that allow it). Another option if your TT has a twin I-beam frame you could hang a hitch carrier on the back but you'd probably want to keep the weight under 450-500lbs. and invest in a small camera to keep an eye on things.

After you drive the Jeep into the trailer, how do you get out of the Jeep?

'twas a tight squeeze, the door opened "just enough" to get out.

You can triple tow (trailer behind a trailer) in all the states west of the Appalachians including Maryland but wouldn't work if you live in an eastern seaboard state (although I see people doing it occasionally on I-75 in Fla because thy're coming from states that allow it). Another option if your TT has a twin I-beam frame you could hang a hitch carrier on the back but you'd probably want to keep the weight under 450-500lbs. and invest in a small camera to keep an eye on things.

Morning___

You need to really do your homework on towing a "recreational double" (ie trailer behind another trailer).

Some states require a special "R" enhanced drivers license to tow a "recreational double". Some states only allow the recreational double if the center trailer is a 5th wheel, different states have total length limits (usually in the neighborhood or 65' to 75') , most have a total rear trailer sway rule (my state is nothing over 3” total deviation), some have rear trailer weight restrictions.

Basically if you plan to go multi-state you need to be legal in (& have valid license) for all states traveled through.

I used to haul "recreational double" but it was a real pain-- backing up is about impossible (some jerk would usually find a way to block me in so I would have to back up enough to clear on pull-out), some camp grounds would not allow me in with the double so I would have to drop outside the campground then go back & retrieve it, I had problems pulling into service places without the rear trailer sticking out into a travel lane or blocking a driveway.