BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1000337 - 11/06/17 04:49 PM R1200RTW - Auxiliary sockets  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
According to the manuals, the bike has 2 aux power outlets.
The first is in a crazy position - mounted on the right-hand side of the fairing.
The second is in a crazy position too! hidden underneath the rear rack.
The 3rd crazy thing is that they are only allowed to draw 10A max between them.
This is a touring motorcycle and some riders like the idea of having heated clothing for rider and pillion. This may well exceed 10A!

However, getting to the point. I have a Keis Heated jacket and it is an 85W jacket (so that is about 7A). Even when plugging this in causes the bike to shut power down to these sockets. It doesn't matter which socket I use, the bike just shuts the socket down.
My Son in Law on his RTW has a heated waistcoat that I believe draws about 4.5A also causes his sockets to be shut down.

Anyone else experience this?

#1000338 - 11/06/17 05:02 PM Re: R1200RTW - Auxiliary sockets [Re: AndyS]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Are you using a Heat-Troller or similar to control the heat level of the garment, or just plugging it in directly at full power? A HT set at less than full hot (and I've _never_ needed to set mine at full hot) uses pulse width modulation to reduce the average current, so you'll be drawing well less than the full rated draw of the garment. And you'll have adjustability. Now, granted, I've so far only needed to use this on two days of one trip, but I had no difficulties. I've no idea what the full rated draw of my Gerbings jacket is, but as I said, I've never (including on my old 1150) needed to use full power, even in freezing temps.

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#1000339 - 11/06/17 05:04 PM Re: R1200RTW - Auxiliary sockets [Re: AndyS]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by AndyS
According to the manuals, the bike has 2 aux power outlets.
The first is in a crazy position - mounted on the right-hand side of the fairing.
The second is in a crazy position too! hidden underneath the rear rack.
The 3rd crazy thing is that they are only allowed to draw 10A max between them.
This is a touring motorcycle and some riders like the idea of having heated clothing for rider and pillion. This may well exceed 10A!

However, getting to the point. I have a Keis Heated jacket and it is an 85W jacket (so that is about 7A). Even when plugging this in causes the bike to shut power down to these sockets. It doesn't matter which socket I use, the bike just shuts the socket down.
My Son in Law on his RTW has a heated waistcoat that I believe draws about 4.5A also causes his sockets to be shut down.

Anyone else experience this?

AFternoon Andy

If your socket is in fact tripping at 7 amps then you have a warranty concern.

Most heated clothing that I have seen trip the 10amp accessory outlet electronic circuit breaker actually draws more than rated so it's very possible that your Keis Heated jacket is simply drawing more than you think.

As a test you might try powering your Keis Heated jacket (include the controller if you use one) through a 10 amp fuse direct from battery, it that holds then try a 7.5 amp fuse. This will tell you is it's your bike or your Keis Heated jacket causing the problem.

On my personal 1200 bikes I disconnect the factory (computer controlled) accessory outlet wire pig tail & run a battery direct 15 amp in-line fuse pig tail direct to the outlet. That allows using an air pump on that circuit or charging the battery through that outlet.

Look on the positive side-- your new 1200RT has a 10 amp accessory circuit, the early 1200RT's only had a 5 amp accessory circuit.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000342 - 11/06/17 05:10 PM Re: R1200RTW - Auxiliary sockets [Re: Bill_Walker]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Bill_Walker
Are you using a Heat-Troller or similar to control the heat level of the garment, or just plugging it in directly at full power? A HT set at less than full hot (and I've _never_ needed to set mine at full hot) uses pulse width modulation to reduce the average current, so you'll be drawing well less than the full rated draw of the garment. And you'll have adjustability. Now, granted, I've so far only needed to use this on two days of one trip, but I had no difficulties. I've no idea what the full rated draw of my Gerbings jacket is, but as I said, I've never (including on my old 1150) needed to use full power, even in freezing temps.

Afternoon Bill

This doesn't always work (doesn't work on my personal 1200 bikes) as the pulse modulation is basically on/off/on/off so it pulses full 12-14volts when on & 0 volts when off (at full current). So even a quick ON will trip the electronic circuit breaker.

I can run my heated gear (added together it draws way more than 10 amps) at part power if I use an old analog resistance type controller but not when using a newer pulse width controller.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000345 - 11/06/17 05:31 PM Re: R1200RTW - Auxiliary sockets [Re: dirtrider]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.

Well, I will try that DR, because on my 1150 I have a 10A fuse and it's not popping that. So I will slip a 7.5A in and see if that vaporises!

#1000346 - 11/06/17 05:46 PM Re: R1200RTW - Auxiliary sockets [Re: AndyS]  
roadriderg Offline
Newer Member
roadriderg  Offline
Newer Member

Huntington beach Ca
I use a venture heated liner. I use the front bike power outlet with no problems . It is rated a 7 amps on high.

If I needed more amps I would use the outlet power to trigger a relay for a direct higher amp circuit.

Gary

Gary
#1000347 - 11/06/17 05:52 PM Re: R1200RTW - Auxiliary sockets [Re: AndyS]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
Hi Gary, thanks. Those sockets are going to be replaced by 2 high power sockets that will fit into the rear part of the left-hand side panel. They will be powered via a PDM60.