IGNORED

Suspension softness

AndyS

Is there any way of making the 'Soft' setting of the ESA suspension softer? In comparison to my other bikes, soft is NOT soft.

Edited by AndyS

Andy, you are just not used to having a bike that still has oil in the shocks!

Soft on my RT is pretty soft. I don't run it except on very smooth pavement. The problem I have with it is that the rear shock seems to have very little damping while in this mode and it tends to pogo on anything but smooth road. I don't know how you could changed anything to make it more compliant.

In Rain mode the ESA goes to the soft setting while also reducing power output on the engine. I really don't like that soft setting either. It is like riding a pogo stick...

I used rain mode a few times in the beginning when I just got my bike, as I wasn't used to the extra 40 HP compared to my oilhead GS. Now I use road and dynamic mode exclusively even in the rain as it's all about throttle control..

Well my Oilhead has new Ohlins and is superbly soft and compliant until I wind the preload up. On the Wethead, the soft setting still leaves the bike skittery on rough surfaces and also (in comparison) very hard on uneven surfaces. It's like the preload still needs to wound back a lot more. However, when I change it to hard, it really does firm up. In truth, I think if i was really pressing on and encountered a rough surface on bends, the bike would start to be hopped sideways.

Thanks for your input Oscar, I don't mean to be rude or inflammatory, but it really doesn't help my question. Unlike you, I DO want it softer.

Drat, beaten too the punch. I've been working on a comparison between my '99 and '15 RT machines and suspension is a point I cover. I too have Ohlins on my '99 oil head and found them superior in ability to be super plush and under control while the ESA system can be set to plush and under damped or under control but not as plush, but not both. Once I take my word vomit of a draft to something less than War and Peace in length I'll post it.

One way I found you might maximize a plush ride is to be in Road or Rain ride modes when you switch to soft as I think in Dynamic mode the computer makes some damping tweaks toward more damping even when set to soft. In any case, the under damped nature of the soft setting allows for extreme suspension shock stroke travel, which could be dangerous if rode frisky in that setting

Hi Andy, no problem.

I really don't think that within the ESA programming there is a way to soften up the suspension unless you can somehow hack into the brains of the system and redo some settings.

Unless you have them rebuild and use a softer spring and re-valve the dampening internally, I don't see how it can be done.

What preload setting are you using? Have you tried using different preload settings?

That being said, I'd agree that DESA on my RTW isn't as plush and controlled as the Ohlins on my RT.

Andy, my Oilhead with Ohlins definitely had a better ride than on any of the settings the new one has. If there is a disappointment with the new Wethead, that is mine. That said, in road or dynamic with my toes touching pavement the bike simply handles very, very well. If I ever replace the shocks on this one, I will see if there is something to do to help.

That said, I do wonder if your "soft" setting might not be doing what it should. Perhaps you could ride another one just to see the difference? Soft on mine seems much softer than the oilhead with Ohlins. If only it had some damping in soft mode......

What preload setting are you using? .

Well, I am talking about 'Rider only', 'Rain' mode, 'Soft'.

Try "Rider with Luggage". It's counterintuitive that more preload could give a smoother ride, but it couldn't hurt to try. Insufficient preload could result in suspension bottoming, for example.

The names/pictures aren't really indicative of "required" settings for the conditions pictured. They're just different preload settings. The one you need may vary based on your weight, the weight in the bags, and even riding conditions.

Thanks Bill, but I can assure you, it isn't bottoming. It is just too much preload. However I will have a play.

I'll also be riding some other Wetheads to compare.

Hey Andy...maybe check one more thing. Make sure you have the luggage setting set to one up not two up. I've noticed when I change that it increases preload. If that doesn't help then the usual of riding someone elses and see if unique to your bike or just the way it is. I've tried mine on soft and like others said feels like a pogo stick. I don't have ohlin experience so can't give a comparative opinion.

Well it looks like Ohlins isn't making ESA compatible shocks, but Wilburs has a set they list online for $1216 a pair (not as rediculus as I expected). I am interested because when I replaced my shocks on the '99 RT it transformed that bike. Not sure if one could expect that same level of imptovement with the Waterhead ESA upgrade. Wondering if there are other who might be contemplating replacing perfectly good shocks? $1216 to get back to suspension nirvana? Hmmm! Group discount?

https://www.wilbers-shop.de/index.php?cl=alist&cnid=eeb13dd377685b8f7d204ce3d88f3313&manufacturer=l7717b4b922c536678ce9edd6482405c&year=2015&catname=eeb13dd377685b8f7d204ce3d88f3313

Give Ted Porter a call. TracTive ESA worked for me on my 2013. Much better ride, kept all the ESA features and.. the lowered ones let me reach the

ground. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

With some time they will soften up a bit, but they will never be as good as aftermarket choices. I do admit that the Dynamic ESA is pretty darn good but not good enough for how I like to ride and certainly not good enough to replace them with the same thing.

Wilbers or Tractive is on my list and I am leaning toward Tractive.