BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1000280 - 11/05/17 09:12 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
So, the Nav6 on my /017 RTW displays the 'My Motorcycle' app.
It has an 'Information' tab which is only available when the Nav6 is docked on the bike.
Then, there are 2 others tabs: 'Status' and 'Last Ride'. Both of these are only available when the device is off the bike.

#1000300 - 11/06/17 03:24 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
WBinDE Offline
WBinDE  Offline

Delaware
Originally Posted by Pickaxe
WBinDE,

I think you're totally correct in your description.

It just begs the question as to why some RT owners seem to get the app and others don't?

Also in the case of RTs with control of the sat nav through the handlebar wheel, surely it's only a case of updating ECU software to gain the app and the extra information it gives. The actual electronic differences between the various R models can't be that much.

As you say, all that information on one page is quite useful when you're not following a map route, and when you're paying an awful lot of money for a motorcycle and sat nav system, it's nice to have every available bell and whistle.

AFIK it's not an upgrade that can be installed by the dealer. There are many computers (9?) on the CANBUS. I know the wonderwheel on the RT and K16 manages the entire bike - heated grips/seat, ESA, odometer selection/reset, etc. in addition to the GPS. On the GS it only does the GPS display, all the other features have their own dedicated button on the switch cluster. If the computer that reads the wonderwheel is different (because the capabilities it controls are so different) maybe that's the one that has the key to enable My Motorcycle. And if it's actually the hardware that's different, trying to upgrade it through software would be futile.

In many senses the RT has more in common with the K16 than with the GS/RS/R family so I wouldn't be surprised if there's more hardware commonality between the electronics as well.

2016 R1200 GSA
#1000301 - 11/06/17 03:39 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
The MY MOTORCYCLE app on the Nav5 and Nav6 has been available not GS but was NOT available on the RT until the 2017 vintage. It seems the bike interface was finally upgraded on the RT for 2017. There was another thread on the RT site where this has also been discussed.

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#1000308 - 11/06/17 10:51 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: RTinNC]  
Pickaxe Offline
Pickaxe  Offline

Worcestershire, England
Originally Posted by RTinNC
The MY MOTORCYCLE app on the Nav5 and Nav6 has been available not GS but was NOT available on the RT until the 2017 vintage. It seems the bike interface was finally upgraded on the RT for 2017. There was another thread on the RT site where this has also been discussed.

Could you possibly provide a link to that thread or let me know which RT site?

Regards

Dave

#1000383 - 11/07/17 03:14 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by RTinNC

Could you possibly provide a link to that thread or let me know which RT site?

Regards

Dave

Here you go .... the discussion on the Nav and MY BIKE app are on the 5th page I believe.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?89917-Time-to-get-a-new-BMW/page5

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#1000391 - 11/07/17 10:07 AM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: AndyS]  
Pickaxe Offline
Pickaxe  Offline

Worcestershire, England
Originally Posted by AndyS
It has an 'Information' tab which is only available when the Nav6 is docked on the bike.
Then, there are 2 others tabs: 'Status' and 'Last Ride'. Both of these are only available when the device is off the bike.

So it begs the question, are some MY2017/18 bikes different to others in respect of upgrades and components used?

Also, is it possible to work out the exact date the bike came through the factory by it's frame number or other means?

Last edited by Pickaxe; 11/07/17 10:10 AM.
#1000410 - 11/07/17 02:22 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
marcopolo Offline
marcopolo  Offline

Alexandria, VA/Ottawa, Canada

... is it possible to work out the exact date the bike came through the factory by it's frame number or other means?

Search online for a BMW VIN de-coder, and then plug your VIN into that, and you should get info about your bike, including its date of manufacture. There will be a sticker on your bike somewhere (don't know where it is on an RT) with the VIN.

As for the year of your bike, I was a bit baffled when, earlier in this thread, you said that you were led to believe it was a 2018. Presumably you bought it new. Is the model year not clearly shown on your sales contract?

Last edited by marcopolo; 11/07/17 02:32 PM.

Mark
2015 R 1200 GS Adventure
#1000445 - 11/07/17 06:52 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: marcopolo]  
Pickaxe Offline
Pickaxe  Offline

Worcestershire, England
Originally Posted by marcopolo

... is it possible to work out the exact date the bike came through the factory by it's frame number or other means?

Search online for a BMW VIN de-coder, and then plug your VIN into that, and you should get info about your bike, including its date of manufacture. There will be a sticker on your bike somewhere (don't know where it is on an RT) with the VIN.

As for the year of your bike, I was a bit baffled when, earlier in this thread, you said that you were led to believe it was a 2018. Presumably you bought it new. Is the model year not clearly shown on your sales contract?

When I started the purchase process at the end of July 2017, the dealer hadn't any RTs in stock and had to order direct from the factory. He stated it would be a 2018 spec bike and when it arrived in mid October, he apologized for the delay and remarked it had RT embossed on the pillion seat for the 2018 spec bikes. The sales invoice states Model BMW R1200RT (K52) Specification 1200 RT LE (ZBLE)

Putting the vin number through a decoder shows it to have been manufactured 6th September 17 and one of the standard equipments is ABS pro which is correct for a 2018 MY RT.

#1000453 - 11/07/17 08:34 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
marcopolo Offline
marcopolo  Offline

Alexandria, VA/Ottawa, Canada
Now that you confirmed it's a 2018, do you still have an issue with what information is -- or is not -- available on your Navigator VI? What I find the most useful is the "data" (my word) page, on which you can choose to display up to sixteen different data elements (by scrolling the "wonder wheel", you display, one, two, four, or sixteen bits of data, and those elements can be changed by the user, as there are more than sixteen available, but only a maximum of sixteen can be displayed at any one time). Personally, I find sixteen to be too small to be useful. Eight would have been just right, but alas, that's not an option. As for the so-called "My Motorcycle" info, just select "Apps" from the bottom of the home screen, and you'll find it. Some info is only available when the Nav is in its cradle, whereas some info can only be accessed when the GPS is out of the cradle (presumably so you don't get mesmerized by the number of times you've applied the brakes, and ride off a cliff).

Last edited by marcopolo; 11/07/17 08:34 PM.

Mark
2015 R 1200 GS Adventure
#1000456 - 11/07/17 08:45 PM Re: Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app [Re: Pickaxe]  
Pickaxe Offline
Pickaxe  Offline

Worcestershire, England
Marcopolo,

You're really rubbing salt into the woundâ˜ș

'my motorcycle' is still a no show on my Nav 6

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3