IGNORED

Looking at a 2002 K1200LT

BarnRat

I'm going to look at a 2002 K1200LT and I know very little about them. I've had three boxers: 1994 R100 GS/PD, 1999 R1100S, and a 2002 R1150R. I've never ridden a K bike of any size but I have had some (almost) equivalent weight bikes: 1998 Honda Valkyrie and I currently have a 2014 Honda CTX1300D.

Is there anything I should know about this year K1200LT? Things I should ask the seller? Recalls? Etc..

I really like the looks of the bike and I know it weighs in somewhere north of 800 lbs . . .

We picked up a 99 LT last year to pull our sidecar and trailer. The driveline back of the engine is much like the oileheads so you can do the same checks for FD or pivot bearing issues. The engines on the Ks seems quite solid. Air filter is under the tank so a hassle to change. At that age you might need to replace the breather hose from the crank case - small money for the part but a lot of stuff has to come off to get to it (on top of engine but under "frame").

We've eaten a few final drives in the last thirty some thousand miles, and put a clutch in as well, but we are heavy (bike, sidecar, trailer loaded is 2200lbs!). It's been pretty easy to work on and the engine has been great. I only rode it 1500 miles before putting the sidecar on so I can't really comment on the handling, but in the short time I found it great on the freeways and ok on back roads.

Same first question. How many miles ? Any service records ?

If you need a bike like that, then hey are very good at what they are meant for.

They are more expensive to run than the same year boxer but deliver better gas mileage and are very smooth.

On a 2002 of it doesn't already have hem, the rubber brake lines will need to be replaced with steel braided.

Tires are specific reinforced models for the LT, the rear brake will squeak no matter what.

Al slow speed they require you to pay close attention or you'll fall over. Usually to the right.

They will go 2-300K miles, the clutch under normal conditions should last at least 100k

The cooing system will get a expensive if the previous owner didn't flush by the book.

They need a quality battery every couple of years to be safe. And always use a Battery Tender type charger.

You can punch the entire VIN into the NHTSA website to see if any recallsare out there but there were few.

Recalls never expire .

The stock windscreen fogs and or crazes . Replace with a V Stream by Z Technik,

Always fill the tank on the sidestand to get a full tank.

Well, I woke up this morning and decided I didn't want to buy the LT. I just didn't want a bike that heavy.

Thanks to all who responded here in this thread and I apologize for wasting your time.

Sincerely,

BR

So now what ? The Airhead ?

Nothing definite yet. Still contemplating the purchase of the 1986 R80.

I'm looking at a 2004 R1100S this morning. This isn't the bike but it looks like this . . .

edeb97ebfa4b3885c153cc3daec5b070--bmw-sport-sport-bikes.jpg

I rode airheads, R 50, R 75, R 100, from '68 until 2005.

When I rode my first oilhead (that I was thinking of buying, rode many at dealership work) I

was intrigued.

Ended up with the '80 R 100 RT still in garage when I brought the '96 RSL home.

Started 50/50 wrt riding.

Eventually 95/5 oilhead.

YMMV, but big difference in go and stop between the models you cite.

Best wishes.

So now what ? The Airhead ?

Nothing definite yet. Still contemplating the purchase of the 1986 R80.

I'm looking at a 2004 R1100S this morning. This isn't the bike but it looks like this . . .

edeb97ebfa4b3885c153cc3daec5b070--bmw-sport-sport-bikes.jpg

That vs and r80? Six of one, half dozen of the other....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man, your all over the board.

Maybe you need to talk about what tool you need to do the job you have in mind.

The S was a cool bike, the resale on them is in the tank now as they dropped in popularity when they quit making them.

You can get (I think ) bar risers to make them a bit more upright, Corbin may still make a seat for comfort.

Take a good long test ride if it has the aftermarket exhaust .your butt cheeks will likely get roasted .

These had problems (some) in time with the Hall sensor like the RT did. So since it's a known issue there's no mystery if it happens. Ditto with the stick coils.

I have a factory service manual for a 2004 I was going to ebay .ihave a spare set of stock brake rotors on there now.

SAME QUESTION . how many miles ?

What he said.

And then if it looks good, not too much money and time to

do baseline service/tires/brake lines/etc.

Would be a like/better than new ride

:cough: shocks emoji:

nice color scheme, IMO, yes.

One of the better old ( no offense please) bikes out there.

You can set it up so many ways.

I've ridden sport toureres with bags, bigger screen, bar backs.

Really sweet.

Enjoy

This thread has run its course. Thanks for the constructive/informative replies.

Purchased and brought home a 2004 R1100S with 5K miles.

This bike will be added to my eclectic collection:

2008 H-D Softail Fat boy

2009 H-D XR1200 (XR750 replica)

2014 Honda CTX1300D

2017 Kawasaki ZX14R SE

Edited by BarnRat
Great choice. I put over 50K on my '04 1100S in the three years I had it. Loved that bike except that it is not great for 2 up.

Thanks.

My days of 2-up riding and long-distance touring are in my past. Been there, done that. Nowadays (I'm retired) it's just 2-3 short morning rides each week.