IGNORED

Ceramic Clutch Sources???

CCjon

Hi all,

have a 2006 R1200RT with a Hannigan sidecar. Am starting to smell the clutch when driving up on the lift. Being indoors, can smell it quickly.

Don't feel any slipping when out riding. Or should I not worry until it won't go anymore?

Other than Touratech (which has their ceramic clutch on backorder worldwide) , is there another source for a ceramic or heavy duty clutch for this bike?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CCjon

Cypress, Texas

I just replaced the clutch on my 2007 RT with this one from motobins.uk:

Part No.30770HD

CLUTCH FRICTION PLATE

HEAVY DUTY AND OIL PROOF.

R1200R / RT / GS / ST / S

RnineT

These heavy duty clutch plates are made from Kevlar which has the following advantages over the original plates :-

- Higher friction coefficient & better torque

- Higher heat resistance

- Longer lasting

- Oil resistant, can work in a bath of oil

- If overheated, it does NOT glaze instead it

returns to its normal state when cooled.

[More info]

£85.00 ex VAT

https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R1200&bikeref=R1200RT

Hi all,

have a 2006 R1200RT with a Hannigan sidecar. Am starting to smell the clutch when driving up on the lift. Being indoors, can smell it quickly.

Don't feel any slipping when out riding. Or should I not worry until it won't go anymore?

Other than Touratech (which has their ceramic clutch on backorder worldwide) , is there another source for a ceramic or heavy duty clutch for this bike?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CCjon

Cypress, Texas

I wouldn't worry about it until it starts slipping. I could smell the clutch on my RT when putting it on the lift and periodically when fully loaded two up.

Thank you Dann and Mike for your information and comment.

Will check out the motobins site and their pricing. Hopefully I can just ride and not have to replace it anytime soon.

CCjon

CC...I see you are in the Houston area. Come join us for the Houston BMW club...We do rides outs several times a month. We also have a couple of tech days where you will find expert help with issues as well as here. Here is a link. Come to the next monthly meeting and have a look around. You might decide you like it. http://www.bmwclubofhouston.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just replaced the clutch on my 2007 RT with this one from motobins.uk:

Part No.30770HD

CLUTCH FRICTION PLATE

HEAVY DUTY AND OIL PROOF.

R1200R / RT / GS / ST / S

RnineT

These heavy duty clutch plates are made from Kevlar which has the following advantages over the original plates :-

- Higher friction coefficient & better torque

- Higher heat resistance

- Longer lasting

- Oil resistant, can work in a bath of oil

- If overheated, it does NOT glaze instead it

returns to its normal state when cooled.

[More info]

£85.00 ex VAT

https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R1200&bikeref=R1200RT

Did you replace any other of the clutch parts?

I also replaced the pressure plate , cover plate and clutch bolts

I don't know if my old one is still good but I was told that these are usually replaced with the friction disc. So I ordered the kit.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell if my old pressure plate is worth keeping

Clutch pressure plate & cover plate kit | CLA02600

Fits R1200GS (09/2003 - 08/2007), R1200GS (09/2007 - 08/2009), R1200GS... Show All...

When you need to replace the cover and pressure plates on your R1200 using this kit is far cheaper than buying the parts individually.  You will also require a friction plate of which we stock several types and clutch bolts CLA32469 (not included). £325.00 INC VAT

The earlier R1200 up to 04/06 uses a different pressure plate which has been discontinued.   £270.83 EX VAT

read more... Q

From

These are pictures of both the old & new pressure plates:

P_20170914_174501.jpg

P_20170914_174517.jpg

Edited by Dann