Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1000508 - 11/08/17 05:22 AM Engine dies when coming to a stop  
Imgnr Offline
Imgnr  Offline

Los Angeles
Hi All,

2004 Rockster here. Went for a first real trip a few weeks ago and the bike performed flawlessly. In SoCal so took the PCH down to the Ortega Highway then over the mountains to Palm Springs.

However, the engines's started to occasionally shut down when riding very slowly with the clutch in, either when I'm coming to a stop or coasting between traffic. Only when I'm about going about 5-10 mph.

I've done some research and turned up the big brass screw to two turns out which bumped the idle to about 1,500 rpm but it doesn't help. I've read that it could be the throttle position sensor or a number of other things.

Hoping that this is a commonly fixed problem as it's a little scary trying to restart the engine in the middle of traffic.

Thank you!

No sparkenzie BMW but learning...
#1000515 - 11/08/17 11:38 AM Re: Engine dies when coming to a stop [Re: Imgnr]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Imgnr
Hi All,

2004 Rockster here. Went for a first real trip a few weeks ago and the bike performed flawlessly. In SoCal so took the PCH down to the Ortega Highway then over the mountains to Palm Springs.

However, the engines's started to occasionally shut down when riding very slowly with the clutch in, either when I'm coming to a stop or coasting between traffic. Only when I'm about going about 5-10 mph.

I've done some research and turned up the big brass screw to two turns out which bumped the idle to about 1,500 rpm but it doesn't help. I've read that it could be the throttle position sensor or a number of other things.

Hoping that this is a commonly fixed problem as it's a little scary trying to restart the engine in the middle of traffic.

Thank you!

Morning Imgnr

Stalling on dropped throttle isn't very common & could be difficult to find without a LOT more specific info from you about the problem.

So give us as much info about the problem as you can (everything that you can think of).

Does it ALWAYS stall at dropped throttle while costing or just on this one ride over the mountains?

Has it done it since you are home?

Did the problem start after you re-fueled the bike?

Any whooshing from the fuel filler cap when you open it after a long ride?

Did you do a new TPS re-learn after the last time you had a dead battery or disconnected the battery?

We can't ride the bike so all we have to work with is your observations over the internet. The more accurate & complete your information
about the stalling the more accurate our help will be.

Added: you might start by looking at your o2 sensor wire pig tail to make sure it isn't hanging down or contacting the hot exhaust system. I have seen
some stalling issues due to o2 problems or o2 wire pig tail contacting the exhaust.

Also, does your bike have the correct CCP in it?

Last edited by dirtrider; 11/08/17 12:26 PM.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!