IGNORED

Things you might not know about your Wethead

realshelby

Did you know that the bikes trip odometer (1 & 2) looses the "tenths" after it rolls past 99.9 miles? I used to use the bikes tripmeter on my 2005 RT to record the number of miles per tank. On my 2015 RT I have to use the GPS tripmeter to record the miles per tank.

If anyone knows how to over ride this to show tenths of a mile past 100 miles please let me know.

• 4 months later...
If you plug in a USB thumb drive loaded up with tunes you can randomize their order by pressing and holding the Mode button down.

You also can simply play all. That plays them in alphabetical order which is effectively random and also prevents playing the same track twice. Interesting, too, is if you have multiple artists doing the same track (or the same artist doing live and studio tracks) you can hear them back to back and compare the various artists' approach.

Jim....I don't understand what you are saying exactly. I know it drops tenths after 99.9, but if I understand your point, which I assume I don't, then the math is very small. For instance if you drove 100 miles versus 100.9, divided by gallons filled the number is tiny. Do that over a full tank and even smaller. For me I typically run about 300 miles between fills and it usually takes right at 6 gallons...or 50MPG. If I added the tenths, 300.9/6 gallons my mileage would be 50.1MPG. I've been pretty happy with my computer read out of fuel burn as it pretty much matches exactly what the pump is saying give or take a tenth or two/gallons. It' far more accurate than my cars or airplane.

I always reset my Trip1 on fuel up. Since the trip only goes to .1 accuracy, I always assume at best my fuel mileage to .1mpg as well. I use the fuel pump's .1 of a gallon as well. But always drop every off after the tenths. I don't round.

But that's just me. Not scientific principal I'm sure. Just what makes the most sense to my OCD brain.

trickstercop

I have recently returned from a european tour and whilst on a Motorway straight I opened the throttle to see where the engine would top out! I couldn't believe it when the dial went off the clock over 150mph. I later checked the GPS on the Nav5 which shows my maximum speed of 197mph. Now I know that can't be accurate but can't understand why it would read so high!!!

I would like to add at the top speed there was a fair amount of wobble which unsettled me and I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this.

IMG_1503

Bill_Walker
I later checked the GPS on the Nav5 which shows my maximum speed of 197mph. Now I know that can't be accurate but can't understand why it would read so high!!!

GPSs do that sometimes. I've seen mine record a max of 193 for my 1150RT. I'd guess it's down to a signal or computation glitch.

CRUSTYBEEMER

Doing my first self maintenance at 10,000 km on my '16 RT and discovered the diff filler plug needs a 6mm allen wrench while the drain plug uses a T-45 Torx! Why not one or the other?

Edited by CRUSTYBEEMER
realshelby

Be careful of these final drive plugs! They are different pitch threads! You can easily bugger the threads on the housing and plugs if trying to install the wrong plug. My dealer was kind enough to do that on the first services for me.I was able to tap the threads to clean them up and all is well.

• Thanks 1
Doing my first self maintenance at 10,000 km on my '16 RT and discovered the diff filler plug needs a 6mm allen wrench while the drain plug uses a T-45 Torx! Why not one or the other?

Afternoon CRUSTYBEEMER

Good Question--

The lower plug is sort of special to go onto that recessed area but still be short enough to not contact spinning parts inside the final drive plus have more threads per mm. (I can easily see that one being sourced for it's exact duty & purpose)

The upper plug was probably a cost saver as that plug is used on many BMW automobiles as the engine oil drain plug so BMW already had that part in their system, probably at a very competitive price--(or Possibly BMW had a bunch of the fill plugs left over from the automotive side & decided to source those as they already had them)

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this & it is as simple as the factory fill station tooling was set up for the hex drive plugs from a previous vehicle line.

• 1 year later...

As someone has posted earlier, you can operate the 'Menu' button in 2 directions. Effectively, rocking the top part of the button can get you to a favorite of your choice (for example heated grips).

But some of us didn't realise you could fast exit the 'mode' function by pulling the wonder wheel sideways.

Did you know if the outside temp is somewhere below 40 F the seat and grip heat does not cancel after sitting overnight (I think). At least this was the case this morning. Road to work @ 36 F and the heated grips and seat came on at the setting from the previous day.

• Like 1

Did you know if you power the bike up with the engine kill switch in the off position (keyless ride models) the power will stay on for nearly an hour so you can play tunes while drying and waxing

• Like 1

Did you know if you buy a different motorcycle other than a new RT you will be deeply disappointed, since RT is the best motorcycle of all time?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Did you know if you buy a different motorcycle other than a new RT you will be deeply disappointed, since RT is the best motorcycle of all time?

Yup!

Yup!

If anyone should know it should be you! Congrats you lucky dog a new Alpinweiss '18! I love the white color but love my Platinum Blond too!

• Thanks 1

Yup!

If anyone should know it should be you! Congrats you lucky dog a new Alpinweiss '18! I love the white color but love my Platinum Blond too!

Thank you, the Platinum would have been my choice a few years ago. But the Alpinweiss is really growing on me.

Yup!

Thank you, the Platinum would have been my choice a few years ago. But the Alpinweiss is really growing on me.

I am very happy that white was not an option for 2016 as that would have made my color decision more difficult. But in 2016 the Platinum Bronze (blond) was a no brainer!

• Thanks 1
  • 3 years later...

Stumbled across this old post and thought it was worth a bump.

My “shift indicator” was bothering me while riding but never gave it a thought after parking my RT.

It’s minor but makes it just that much more enjoyable of a ride when it’s not there (for me)

I love this forum.

Did you know that if the ambient temperature is near freezing, the display will revert to temperature?  

I usually set mine to read Distance-to-Empty.  One cold morning this fall, I went out to the parking lot at the motel and found frost on the seat, 19F.  When we left the motel, I saw the temp display, and reset it to read my preferred information.  Shortly later, I glanced at it, and it was reading temperature again.  Pissed me off at first.  But once I figured it out... it's not a bug, it's a feature.  Somewhere between 32F and 40F it stops doing that.

It is the “Black Ice” warning. The same happens with the “Distance to Empty”.

I guess it is BMW’s way of getting your attention to a possible problem or danger.

On my 1250 RT a snowflake is displayed.   The manual explains that symbol to mean outside temperature warning but does not define what the specific temp it is set for.   Guessing just above freezing.  In my Volvo (big truck) that snowflake shows up at 34 F.

I think the Snowflake appears around 38-40 F and starts flashing around 35-33 F. But I am not sure about that.

Of course this is on a Florida bike.

• Haha 1
On 10/8/2015 at 5:26 PM, gordiet said:

I have a 2015 and there is no d-tent on the instrument cluster. It will not stay where I want it. Gt

Me too. On a 2014.

This is from the 2014/2015 owners manual (and morover it works):

Adjusting instrument panel - Adjusting instrument panel Do not attempt to adjust the position of the instrument panel unless the vehicle is at a standstill.

Press instrument panel 1 firmly at top or bottom edge, as applicable, to move it to the desired position.

Be sure to apply pressure midway along the edge in order to ensure that movement is the same at both

3 hours ago, AndyS said:

This is from the 2014/2015 owners manual (and morover it works):

Adjusting instrument panel - Adjusting instrument panel Do not attempt to adjust the position of the instrument panel unless the vehicle is at a standstill.

Press instrument panel 1 firmly at top or bottom edge, as applicable, to move it to the desired position.

Be sure to apply pressure midway along the edge in order to ensure that movement is the same at both

Yea my 15 RT did like up, center, down.  Like three clicks I think, maybe more? 

I always ran it as far up as it would point.  I ran a small Hepco Becker magnetic ring tank bag and I could see over it no issue.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:52 AM, LAF said:

Yea my 15 RT did like up, center, down.  Like three clicks I think, maybe more? 

I always ran it as far up as it would point.  I ran a small Hepco Becker magnetic ring tank bag and I could see over it no issue.

I stand corrected. Just didn't push hard enough.

• Thanks 1
On 10/9/2015 at 6:19 AM, Guest Kakugo said:

Or perhaps you should have switched to Celsius degrees... I think the dealer computer can do that. ;)

I like! is it possible?

On 11/8/2017 at 12:09 PM, NoelCP said:

Will NOT argue that! :4322:

• Like 1
21 hours ago, NumbHands said:

I stand corrected. Just didn't push hard enough.

Well it is not intuitive and pushing on a very expensive piece of your dash does make you a bit tentative.

I knew from new as I made the dealer demonstrate the plastic key and where to place it and he went right to the dash, moved it to the full up position and placed the plastic key there and started the bike.  After that I never messed with it over the years I owned it.

It does help a bit but nothing major.

7 minutes ago, LAF said:

Well it is not intuitive and pushing on a very expensive piece of your dash does make you a bit tentative.

I knew from new as I made the dealer demonstrate the plastic key and where to place it and he went right to the dash, moved it to the full up position and placed the plastic key there and started the bike.  After that I never messed with it over the years I owned it.

It does help a bit but nothing major.

Hello Lee, 

When putting the plastic key in the opening under the dash, is there a slot or key hole that it goes into?

I've never tried the key and the diagram in the manual is rather vague.

Did you know that while not moving you can go into the bikes system settings and turn off the traction control function (2015 RT) and then when you get underway and at about 5-10 MPH whack the throttle wide open in first gear you can pull a giant power wheelie!:yes:

\

On 11/17/2020 at 10:24 PM, profbodryak said:

I like! is it possible?

Mine is in Celsius by default (Canadian model) but it can be done with a GS-911 or by the dealer

On 11/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, MachineJoe said:

Hello Lee, 

When putting the plastic key in the opening under the dash, is there a slot or key hole that it goes into?

I've never tried the key and the diagram in the manual is rather vague.

No just at the bottom of the dash that moves. 

Carry or have someone riding with you carry that key.  I lost a Fob in Tennessee at the National and had to use the plastic key the entire time.  On a GS it is under the passenger seat right in front of the rear wheel so you have to reach up under with the key from the clutch side and start the bike.  I was never so happy to have  plastic spare key in my life.

Just experiment a little.  Good idea to do it in a nice dry warm garage then on the road stressing trying to find the right spot to hold it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2015 at 1:46 PM, Panhandle Chuck said:

Did you know, you can set the home screen to a large digital speedo (audio system must be off to view)? Nice.

How?  I never use my radio but live in an area where a large digital speedo would be quite useful...because cops and a right hand wanting to roll backward often.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:44 AM, Dann said:

Mine is in Celsius by default (Canadian model) but it can be done with a GS-911 or by the dealer

Will be sure to ask them next time I am there - thank you for the tip!

Motorhead1977
On 11/28/2020 at 10:44 AM, Bob, in Vermont said:

Did you know your mirror/pods are spring loaded.  They will fold back and spring forward after you bump them in the garage.:4607:

And when you fold the mirror back if you run a nylon string through the hole in the mirror bracket you can secure your plastic emergency key there, slide it into the space above the bracket and when the mirror is in the normal position it's stored out of sight but easily accessible should you require it. (Got this tidbit over at the BMWLT forum here https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/spare-key-location.190777/#post-1960107 )

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

And when you fold the mirror back if you run a nylon string through the hole in the mirror bracket you can secure your plastic emergency key there, slide it into the space above the bracket and when the mirror is in the normal position it's stored out of sight but easily accessible should you require it. (Got this tidbit over at the BMWLT forum here https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/spare-key-location.190777/#post-1960107 )

I would want to check and make sure the bike will NOT start with the key that close? 

The plastic key has lees range then a fob but wonder if you leave your fob out of range and that spare stashed, if the bike will start?  I carry my keys on my side on a belt ring and it starts my bike, so I am an wondering if that fob in a mirror is close enough to start the bike? 

It is a nice spot but I put my plastic key in a faraday bag, and throw in in my tank bag when alone.  With someone I hand them a spare key.

I like the mirror idea but as I say I wonder if it will allow the bike to start?

Motorhead1977

I'll check it out in the next couple of days and let you know but I don't believe so as unless my plastic key is touching the underside of the dash it's a no go.

49 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

I'll check it out in the next couple of days and let you know but I don't believe so as unless my plastic key is touching the underside of the dash it's a no go.

You're correct Tom, The plastic key needs to be nearly against the display to work.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:44 AM, Bob, in Vermont said:

Did you know your mirror/pods are spring loaded.  They will fold back and spring forward after you bump them in the garage.:4607:

or while lane splitting at a red light...

22 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Not sure but thought I would throw it out there. 

I know two fobs will drive a bike nuts and allow start from distance.  And since I lost a fob and used the plastic key for the Tennessee Rally I am well aware of how they work on a GS but never had to use it on the RT.  I would take the RT spot to the GS spot any day.

On 10/8/2015 at 8:26 PM, gordiet said:

I have a 2015 and there is no d-tent on the instrument cluster. It will not stay where I want it. Gt

Same here

• 2 weeks later...
Colorado Jeff
On 10/9/2015 at 8:33 AM, narcosis said:

If you plug in a USB thumb drive loaded up with tunes you can randomize their order by pressing and holding the Mode button down.

Thank you, I've been wanting a randomize the music on my USB drive forever!  Now if only it'd get warm enough to give it a go...

• Like 1