IGNORED

R1100r no run no start.

PJ Gerstenberger

PJ Gerstenberger

Good afternoon all.

I have an 01 r1100r with a little over 100k on the clock. Currently I have a no run situation because of no fuel. Pump does not run. Pump is good. When I apply ground to pin one of the fuel pump harness and 12 v to pin 2. Pump runs fine. I have constant 12 v to pin 3 with ign on. Pin 2 does not provide 12 v at all, it is supposed to for a couple seconds I believe. Bypassed sidestand switch, no difference. Exchanged relays, no change.

Curious what to look at next. There is one other thing going on. Mc will not start from starter button. Jump the solenoid on the starter, bike would start and run fine. Just wouldn't start when I thumbed the starter button. I went to move the bike to safety when hurricane Irma came through Florida, but I discovered the additional no fuel pump problem.. so I secured the bike as best I could, and prayed for the best. Back on fixing the R after the hurricane cleanup. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the starter switch itself. It controls both the starter and the fuel pump... and I have neither but both motors are good. Logic would dictate.... right? If someone could share a trouble shooting technique for the starter switch on thes mc I'd really appreciate it. Or any other suggestions. I for one, really appreciate this wonderful community and resource. Thanks.

Update: when I jump terminal 30 and 85 at starter relay, starter engages. When I thumb the starter switch, I get 12v at terminal 87. Am I looking at a bad starter relay?

Edited by PJ Gerstenberger
Good afternoon all.

I have an 01 r1100r with a little over 100k on the clock. Currently I have a no run situation because of no fuel. Pump does not run. Pump is good. When I apply ground to pin one of the fuel pump harness and 12 v to pin 2. Pump runs fine. I have constant 12 v to pin 3 with ign on. Pin 2 does not provide 12 v at all, it is supposed to for a couple seconds I believe. Bypassed sidestand switch, no difference. Exchanged relays, no change.

Curious what to look at next. There is one other thing going on. Mc will not start from starter button. Jump the solenoid on the starter, bike would start and run fine. Just wouldn't start when I thumbed the starter button. I went to move the bike to safety when hurricane Irma came through Florida, but I discovered the additional no fuel pump problem.. so I secured the bike as best I could, and prayed for the best. Back on fixing the R after the hurricane cleanup. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the starter switch itself. It controls both the starter and the fuel pump... and I have neither but both motors are good. Logic would dictate.... right? If someone could share a trouble shooting technique for the starter switch on thes mc I'd really appreciate it. Or any other suggestions. I for one, really appreciate this wonderful community and resource. Thanks.

Evening PJ Gerstenberger

Start by checking fuse # 6 (fuel pump fuse) & check fuse 1 (for starter issue).

If the fuses are good then it sort of still points to the side stand switch so make darn sure that is by-passed correctly.

If nothing found (12v wise) at the fuses (1 & 6) then verify the red wires on the battery + post are not broken or corroded.

About all you can do next is start tracking 12v B+ power from the battery to the ign switch then to the starter & fuel pump relays. Then make sure the relay sockets have the proper 12v (battery 12v) to the correct cavities & make sure that you have proper 12v (ign switch on) 12v to the correct relay cavities.

Also, look for broken wires in the main harness at the steering neck area (especially around the zip ties).

Once you have the power flow tracked down & verified then you can move on to things like the Motronic & other low side controls.

Edited by dirtrider

Update: when I jump terminal 30 and 85 at starter relay, starter engages. When I thumb the starter switch, I get 12v at terminal 87. Am I looking at a bad starter relay?

Evening PJ Gerstenberger

This doesn't make sense-- Do you by chance have terminal 85 & 87 confused? Pushing the starter button should give you 12v to terminal 85 not terminal 87. Jumping 30 to 87 should crank the starter.

PJ Gerstenberger

Thank you for that dirt rider. When you say bypassed correctly, all that is involved is jumpering the two wires to the switch, correct?

Thank you for that dirt rider. When you say bypassed correctly, all that is involved is jumpering the two wires to the switch, correct?

Evening PJ Gerstenberger

Yes, but the connections must be good with good continuity. With key (on) do you have 12v at the connection you made at the side stand switch (both into & out)?

Im Sure you are correct and have them confused. Yes, I have 12 v w ignition on in and out of the sidestand switch.

Evening PJ Gerstenberger

Then the starter problem does sort of point to a bad starter relay OR you have a bad neutral switch or and/or bad clutch switch. (does neutral light come on & is it on when attempting to crank the starter?) Or you have open circuits on 86 & 86a.

PJ Gerstenberger

Neutral switch does illuminate, but it has been sluggish for years.

Hassle of replacing.?. well I live with it.

I actually ordered the relay Friday from 441 Cycle, my local dealer.

PJ Gerstenberger

Jim,

When I jump the starter relay it just spins. It has no fuel because fuel pump is not getting voltage to pin 2 on the fuel pump harness.

I'm on my third Hall sender. Last one installed about 8K miles ago. What I find interesting is that the bike began not starting

with the starter button about a month before the fuel pump problem manifested. I could start the bike by jumping the

starter solenoid, and it would fun fine. Went to move the bike a few miles to safety before Irma, and bike would not

start at all. It would start on ether... and still will, so I have spark, but no fuel supply. I'm still thinking it could be the

kill switch part of the starter button. Could be different cause for each problem. I'm still looking for a way to trouble shoot the kill switch

portion of the starter button. It may still be involved.

See if your fuel pump comes on if you jumper pins 3 to 5 of the fuel pump relay socket. That connects the fuel pump fuse 6 to the fuel pump. The pump should come on even if the key is off.

Edited by roger 04 rt

Morning PJ Gerstenberger

I'm still thinking it could be the kill switch part of the starter button. ---You have already done that when you posted above " I get 12v at terminal 87 (probably 85) when I push the starter button". If the kill switch wasn't working you would not get any 12v to starter relay showing when you pushed the starter button.

Could be different cause for each problem. I'm still looking for a way to trouble shoot the kill switch

portion of the starter button. It may still be involved. -- I'm pretty certain that you have separate problems with the starter & fuel issue but you need to sort one or the other first then move on to the other one. They could have a root connection but get the starter working from the push button THEN move on to troubleshooting the fuel pump issue (once the starter circuitry is operating OK that eliminates some of the fueling circuitry as being the cause).

Morning PJ Gerstenberger

Too many posters going different directions on this & that will confuse your troubleshooting issue so I will back out of this thread & let Jim & Roger work with you on this.

If you need anything specific that I can help you with just PM me.

PJ Gerstenberger

Of course. You're right. Silly me. I should have realized that

12 volts while thumbing the starter button eliminates the switch as a problem.

Thank you dirtrider. I'll get the starter sorted and see where I wind up.

PJ Gerstenberger

Good evening folks.....

Starter relay fixed the no starter problem. Spins fine now when I thumb the switch. Still no fuel pump.

Fuel pump does engage when I jump 3 & 5 of the fuel pump relay socket. Very close to solving this.

Thoughts?

Okay, lets look at three possibilities in order: fuel pump relay circuit, the Motronic relay circuit, and then (hopefully not) the Motronic.

The next thing to check is the fuel pump relay. Test your horn and if it works, swap the horn relay into the fuel pump relay socket.

If that works, you need a new fuel pump relay, if it doesn't, you'll need to make a voltage measurement that I'll post in a moment.

Edited by roger 04 rt
PJ Gerstenberger

Horn works...Already did the relay swap. No change.

Curious as to the voltage test.

Turn your FP relay upside down and find pins 1 & 2. Measure the socket pin associated with relay pin 2. You should have 12v on that pin when the key is on. If you don't, try pin 1 and see if it has 12v with the key on.

PJ Gerstenberger

Got it. Motronic relay was bad also. I had switched power to the fp relay socket. Jumped 3 & 5 of the fuel pump socket, turned on the fuel pump. Swapped known good fuel pump relay into the Motronic socket,

hit the starter button and voila... it started and ran. I'll pick up another mini relay next week.

Folks, I can't say thank you enough for the troubleshooting tips. I know it shows I'm a new member, but I have actually been a member since shortly after I bought this bike in 2004. I got out of touch for a couple years, lost control of the associated email address... and had to re-up. You folks are , as always, fantastic. Thanks again.

Paul

So it was in a flood? If water got high enough to reach the fuse box I'm wondering what else fate has in store. How does the oil look in the sight glass? How does the air filter look? Maybe change oil in the final drive — it has a breather where water can get in. What do others think?

PJ Gerstenberger

I also. Riding it to work tomorrow. It's the season in Florida. Back to Two wheels for the next 6 months. June July and August are just so hot down here anymore....,