IGNORED

WOTL: Sell it, Part it out, or fix it?

DrMikey

So, I'm going to do Butt Lite IX next July. I ran BLVIII on my ‘03 R1150RT. It did fine. Only trouble I had was the oil filler cap sprung a leak near Reno. The lighting is anemic, but I have since put in an LED headlight. Engine is fine. It has nearly 75 K miles and I get nervous thinking about the final drive and maybe the transmission and the starter.

The ABS doesn't come on until I get it up to around 4000 rpm (then it stays on).

Battery kind of weak.

I could replace it with something newer or sink a bunch of money.

Here's the low down:

2003 RT, 73 K miles

Dunlop Roadsmart 3's with around 1000 miles

Custom paint job: metal flake gold, close to matching the 1978 R100RS. Has a few spots where the clear coat came off. Character marks, IMHO.

Wilbers shocks. Handles better than a fifteen year old scoot has a right to.

Bill Mayer Saddle

Bar Backs

Heated grips

Running Lights

PIAA driving lights

Brake light flashers

Looking at different sites, RT's are going from $2500 to $5000. This one's probably in the $3000-3500 range.

I could do the rally and hope nothing breaks. I could easily rentl a U-Haul with the money not spent on a newer bike or on upgrades. Taking the time off work and all the prep for a six day rally leaves one not wanting to be a DNF.

I could spend a fortune having the trans and FD rebuilt, the ABS maintained, etc. It would still be a gamble.

So, if I do go with the replacement option, is there a market out there for used parts such that I would come out more than $1000 ahead parting it out?

Thanks.

MIke in Wi

If you buy a new used bike you're going to have a pretty big unknown. I think I'd keep what you have and maybe have the FD checked by someone who really knows what they're doing, or just take it off and have someone good preventatively rebuild it (or get a spare good used/rebuilt one to have as a spare). Transmission should be fine unless you have reason to think it's not. Does a new battery change the way your ABS acts?

Edited by szurszewski

Personally I'd keep it and repair it... or if you don't have the time, sell it as is and take a little loss and rebuy what you want.

Let me just chime in a bit on the parting aspect..

There always seems like a lot of money to be made on parting a bike, until you actually try to do it.... Yes a 5k bike you could make nearly 8 to 10k off if you sold every piece individually at the full going rate...

The issue is you have to find 200+ people that each need one of those parts...

Unless you got a lot of time on your hands or already know a few people that personally want to buy a majority of the parts... i dont think it's worth parting...

You may legitimately end up with a garage full of loose parts sitting for the next 12 to 36 months on your shelves with a new part time job trying to get rid of all those that remain.

I'd personally only part to sell if

A. I was retired and or didn't care if it took up to 3 years to sell all the parts.

B. Had a garage big enough that I had open areas just starving for me to put more boxes of stuff in.

C. A good amount of people were already begging me for parts off of it

D. Just want to help out other riders that may need the parts.

If you meet 2 or 3 out of the above go for it

Otherwise, you could also do a "testing the waters" post and find out if there's enough to people that want enough of your parts if you do go ahead and part it... then go from there.

Good luck either way.

Run her till she blows, then rent a Harley to finish the ride.

None of the anticipated failures are guaranteed to happen. She may surprise you and be reliable. And riding a Harley might be a "religious" experience.

Easy for me to say.

Dave

Run her till she blows, then rent a Harley to finish the ride.

None of the anticipated failures are guaranteed to happen. She may surprise you and be reliable. And riding a Harley might be a "religious" experience.

Easy for me to say.

Dave

Don't wan't that kind of religious experience, though I have been thinking of doing it on my Indian.

I'm in the same situation as you only my 03RT has nearly double the mileage.

At about 120k a bad spark plug wire resulted in my 1st tow home.

(Turns out I had the police type coil & wires which are shielded)

I look at this as my fault for not replacing them proactively.

My final drive didn't have issues until about 125k.

I attribute the Crown bearing failure (pitting) to riding (hard) with shot shocks.

I picked up a lightly used 2016 Zero DSR for commuting so the RT serves as backup & the occasional trip that the Zero's range won't handle.

How are the shocks?

Final drive pivot bearings?

My RT wasn't in too bad of shape at 73k so it may not cost as much to keep it on the road for the next few years as your thinking.

That said, it is nice to have a new set of wheels.

I think that bike is in the sweet spot, reliability-wise. All the infant mortality issues have been worked out, and the longevity issues haven't started to surface yet. I'd just ride it. That being said, new bikes are also nice.

Also, parting out a bike is a soul-sapping exercise.

My son rides a Roadmaster. Not a lot of ground clearance so the pace slows in the twisty bits.

Handles a bit like it's auto namesake. Compared to a Beemer at least.

I could replace it with something newer or sink a bunch of money.

Yes, that is the dilemma. For all of us, eventually. It really ends up being an emotional decision rather than an economic one. If you are getting the itch for a new moto, then you might as well own it, and enjoy the process of shopping and farkling.

I've had similar thoughts about my 2004 RT -- that the FD might fail, or the ABS. In my case, I decided that if the FD fails, I will fix it. But if the ABS fails, and I can't fix it, then I will sell the bike. Meanwhile, I have MOA trip insurance, and I don't worry about it. Good luck with your rally.

lots of life left. Don't worry wart it to death. Just ride it, have good towing, and when she breaks, she breaks. If it's not broken don't fix it. I agree with Jim.

Doc -

If you keep it, you can keep an eye on engine, trans & fd by doing a BLOOD TEST (oil analysis) with oil changes. I also added magnetic drain plugs. But that's just me. I'm a worrier and these things help.

Frinstance, the fd mag plug found a chunk of pinion gear back in ‘12

that led me to get a used fd from Beemer Boneyard that has been OK for about 60K miles. *link*

PS: Which guy are you in your avatar?

Edited by TheOtherLee
Bert Remington

DrMikey -- you didn't provide much in the way of tradeoff criteria. You identified personal concerns (transmission, final drive mileage), actual problems (IABS, battery) and significant investments (lighting upgrades, shocks, tires, paint, seat). You have an inexpensive motorcycle meeting your sports-touring requirements (the 2003 R1150RT) and an expensive motorcycle (an Indian) that probably isn't the sports-touring machine your BMW is.

I've estimated transitioning from your known, nicely-equipped R1150RT to an unknown R1150RT or even down-scale R1100RT will be $1,500 and you will lose your investments at 10 cents on the dollar.

The advice offered so far, which I think is excellent, is (1) spend the "transition" $1,500 on the IABS, battery, major service and tow insurance; or (2) sell the BMW and use the money to modify the Indian closer to your sports-touring requirements. I'm assuming a new BMW is not an option because if you had that kind of money you wouldn't be asking your questions.

Best wishes for Butt Lite IX.

I'm assuming a new BMW is not an option because if you had that kind of money you wouldn't be asking your questions..

Or maybe he just doesn't like the newer models as much as the 1150. I know I don't... and I've got both!

I'm assuming a new BMW is not an option because if you had that kind of money you wouldn't be asking your questions..

Or maybe he just doesn't like the newer models as much as the 1150. I know I don't... and I've got both!

Andy's right. The newer RT's don't move me like the 1150. That, and the closest BMW dealer is 3 to 4 hours away. A new one would require servicing by a dealer. I can do all but the most complex maintenance on the 1150. I've had one instance of having to undo a bad valve adjustment and FI sync that was done by a dealer. So while I could afford a new(er) BMW, the logistics just don't work for me. If I replace the RT, it will be with brand X. There are plenty of Big 4 dealers less than an hour from my door. That said, none of their stuff exactly sings to me, either.

Doc -

If you keep it, you can keep an eye on engine, trans & fd by doing a BLOOD TEST (oil analysis) with oil changes. I also added magnetic drain plugs. But that's just me. I'm a worrier and these things help.

Frinstance, the fd mag plug found a chunk of pinion gear back in ‘12

that led me to get a used fd from Beemer Boneyard that has been OK for about 60K miles. *link*

PS: Which guy are you in your avatar?

I've read others' references to the “blood” test. Do you have a web address for a shop that does it?

In the avatar? I'm the character who has the same occupation in the show as I do in reality.

I made a bad assumption WRT new BMW. I went to BMW's website and concur with AndyS on R1200RT.

Is there an ending to this story?

It just goes on and on...

Only you know the maintenance history on the bike but it appears to me like it just needs a battery at the moment. If you are not experiencing any "signs" of failure/wear in the powertrain and as long as you have a good maintenance log, good tyres, Roadside Assistance and a Credit card....go for it :)

Plenty of used spare parts available for the R1150RT's these day.....

My 2003 (2002 purchase) R1150RT DaRTh still runs like a champ. I've always done my own progressive maintenance and In the past couple of years I replaced all the FI hoses, tank internals and installed Spiegler brake lines. FD pivot bearings are still solid but I do regular checks and have the tool ready, just in case!

I ride it every week and it has never let me down. Engine and Gearbox Oil changes are always clear of "debris" plus I keep a regular eye on the FD with one of Terry's (Real Shelby's) Final Drive Minders. I like it, it is easy to use and I check before every ride.....so far so good!

You can worry and "what if" yourself to death....just get on it and enjoy :) !

Edited by philbytx

Something that I don't see here is consideration of what an investment you will have in the rally itself.

I imagine your participation in the last Butt Lite showed you that these rallies have a tenancy to drain one's bank account to the tune of anywhere from five to ten thousand dollars if you wish to do well (and why else would you do it).

Personally if I had the slightest doubt about the reliability of my ride I would replace it with something I loved and trusted. That being said high mileage doesn't necessarily mean unreliable (Eagan's ST4 Ducati racked up 200k and was still a mile killer when retired) but if you have doubts about your ride today, imagine how bad you would feel with an early DNF in an event you spent 2 years waiting for.

A good towing plan won't make that pain go away.......

I usually buy bikes and cars that are 10+ years old with 50 - 100K miles. Maybe they have an issue, maybe they don't. Then I typically run them to 200K and they're not worth anything when I get rid of them. Once in a LONG while, I'll have some significant break down. But no more than the next guy. So you probably can see where I'm going with this....

My big question is: Reliability problems aside - do you LOVE the bike? If you don't absolutely love it, you'll eventually resent every dime you spend on maintenance.

Buying a new bike is not an economical alternative. If it was, then NOBODY would have an old bike or car. Buying another used bike is, for the most part, a crap shoot.

Just do the upkeep and accept that one day you'll be stranded. It happens regardless of what course you take. It's okay. you'll get through it. When you're sick of standing on the side of the road over and over and over, then it's time.