IGNORED

self driving cars

Bud

"Even hundreds of milliseconds helps," he says. "Because if a car is going to slam on the brakes, it'll slow down dramatically by the time it crashes into you." :dopeslap:

From this ARTICLE

I thought the idea was that they were safer than a human and wouldn't "crash into you".

Ridden by an unpredictable human, the bike can still crash into the car. It would help if the car could at least start to slow down before contact. I can envision bicyclists flicking the handlebars just to mess with the car coming up behind.

It will probably only be an issue during the short transition time before roads are restricted to only autonomous vehicles.

Kiss The Good Times Goodbye

I don't see motorcycles in that future. It's OK, by then I'll be gone or too decrepit to ride.

Edited by lkraus
Ridden by an unpredictable human, the bike can still crash into the car. It would help if the car could at least start to slow down before contact. I can envision bicyclists flicking the handlebars just to mess with the car coming up behind.

It will probably only be an issue during the short transition time before roads are restricted to only autonomous vehicles.

Kiss The Good Times Goodbye

I don't see motorcycles in that future. It's OK, by then I'll be gone or too decrepit to ride.

I'm certain that the scenario in the article is just plain wrong.

There is no way in heck that the American public is going to allow their government to make them turn in their cars. Does the phrase "cold, dead hands" ring a bell? :whistle:

It won't be an all or nothing choice. There are certainly places where the on demand paradigm makes sense: most large cities certainly. For vast areas of rural America, personal transportation is here to stay.

"Even hundreds of milliseconds helps," he says. "Because if a car is going to slam on the brakes, it'll slow down dramatically by the time it crashes into you." :dopeslap:

From this ARTICLE

I thought the idea was that they were safer than a human and wouldn't "crash into you".

Well, really it just means they'll crash into you less often - not never :)

I'm certain that the scenario in the article is just plain wrong.

There is no way in heck that the American public is going to allow their government to make them turn in their cars. Does the phrase "cold, dead hands" ring a bell? :whistle:

It won't be an all or nothing choice. There are certainly places where the on demand paradigm makes sense: most large cities certainly. For vast areas of rural America, personal transportation is here to stay.

You may not have noticed that the younger generation of folks isn't rushing out to get their driver's licenses. Whereas we had to drive to hang out with our friends, they do so on social media. For them, a car is just a capital expense that makes no sense - live in the city, talk to your friends 24/7 using your phone, and take transit everywhere. Restrict phone data or the internet and you might evoke outrage from them, but getting rid of cars will probably get a response of, "I don't own one."

The riders of the future will have different agendas than we do, just as we did with the drivers and riders who came before us. I personally think the OEM's are missing the boat by ignoring the inner city kids that ride dirt bikes on the street (often illegally). The inheritors of our traditions will add their own agendas to that body of history. As it should be.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I do know that if someone invents a rapid personal transit system that can let you text or get where you want to go while tipsy, cars and motorcycles will become an endangered species simply through lack of demand. Just like I haven't seen a horse and buggy in downtown in a long time.

You may not have noticed that the younger generation of folks isn't rushing out to get their driver's licenses. Whereas we had to drive to hang out with our friends, they do so on social media. For them, a car is just a capital expense that makes no sense - live in the city, talk to your friends 24/7 using your phone, and take transit everywhere. Restrict phone data or the internet and you might evoke outrage from them, but getting rid of cars will probably get a response of, "I don't own one."

This is certainly true in Oregon. I woked in driver ed there from '07 through '16, starting and operating a driving school from '11-'16, and the percentage of folks reaching 18 without a license is going down and for those who do get licensed as minors more of them are doing it at 17 rather than 16 (unlike me who was at the DMV bright and early on my 16th birthday - and most of my friends did something similar). A good number of our students were learning to drive primarily because their parents wanted them to (to haul siblings around, or just to haul themselves to all of their activities) and not because they wanted it for themselves. In large part the kids would be happy to chill in the car and text, read, nap while someone else drove them around. I don't necessarily think this is just because of social media through - most of the teens I worked with the past ten years were VERY busy and driving was just one more thing they'd have to do, and frankly they were pretty tired :)

I don't know what's going to happen, but I do know that if someone invents a rapid personal transit system that can let you text or get where you want to go while tipsy, cars and motorcycles will become an endangered species simply through lack of demand. Just like I haven't seen a horse and buggy in downtown in a long time.

I think this is true - particularly for use in urban areas.

As for horse and buggy, when I read that I thought, well gee - I saw those in use in NYC, Philadelphia, St. Louis and a couple of other cities in just the last year - maybe self driving cars are on their way to the same sort of novelty activity....maybe we should be opening closed "driving ranges" - something between a racetrack and a plain old neighborhood... ;)

As for horse and buggy, when I read that I thought, well gee - I saw those in use in NYC, Philadelphia, St. Louis and a couple of other cities in just the last year - maybe self driving cars are on their way to the same sort of novelty activity....maybe we should be opening closed "driving ranges" - something between a racetrack and a plain old neighborhood... ;)

There's already a dedicated track alongside I-15 west of Las Vegas for driving supercars called SPEEDVEGAS. They'll just have to extend it down to ordinary cars that novice drivers can handle.