IGNORED

Why do we use "handles" here?

markgoodrich

What exactly is the benefit of using a secret identity on this or other forums in the age of Facebook, where you have to use a real name? Why not change the rules to require real names? The user's former secret identity name could be put in smaller letters below it in quotes, such as:

MARK GOODRICH

"markgoodrich"

I had plenty of time to think about this on the way home from the DVD, where I met lots of guys who introduced themselves, but then had to at some point tell me their superpowers, er, "board names". I couldn't come up with a reason NOT to do it.

Edited by markgoodrich

No way I'd feel comfortable telling anyone here my real name. I mean, even at IRL events I use a fake name with this group.

Just kidding.

But in all seriousness, I do use a fake name for Facebook.

Edited by szurszewski
It's an age-old internet tradition. Funny that most of us replying there ARE using our real names, or some part of them.

I don't believe for a second that Bill Walker is your name or anyone else's for that matter. Totally sounds made up!

It's an age-old internet tradition. Funny that most of us replying there ARE using our real names, or some part of them.

I don't believe for a second that Bill Walker is your name or anyone else's for that matter. Totally sounds made up!

It's a real name! I stole it from the governor of Alaska.

And I figure nobody would make up "szurszewski".

I got started like many not using my proper name in my e-mail address as a minor attempt to avoid spam and an illusion of added security against identity theft. Having a handle is a bit cool anyway. I do sign my name on my signature to this board since who would look for me here! :dontknow:

Now that all the comedians have told their HILARIOUS jokes, is there any real reason not to do this? Where's Fernando, the other mods, in this conversation?

I guess I don't understand the problem with a forum user being anonymous if that's what they want?

But, let's just say for the sake of arguement we want to have a “real name” policy. There are certainly some mod issues. First, how do we verify/enforce it? And secondly, what do you do with all the existing users? Everyone has to change their screen names to their real names or we suspend their accounts?

for what it's worth...It's currently a choice and I hope it stays that way. I think some of the names tell us a little about the individuals....Like Shelby...Tewks....Tallman...etc

The other thing I like is not being able to tie it to a work identity if the subscriber chooses not to. I vote not broken... I get tons of work solicitations through LinkedIn already.

Edited by Skywagon
I guess I don't understand the problem with a forum user being anonymous if that's what they want?

But, let's just say for the sake of arguement we want to have a “real name” policy. There are certainly some mod issues. First, how do we verify/enforce it? And secondly, what do you do with all the existing users? Everyone has to change their screen names to their real names or we suspend their accounts?

it's not a problem. Just a bit confusing when you meet someone at a gathering.

it's not a problem. Just a bit confusing when you meet someone at a gathering.

That's your problem right there - you're too social.

Lone_RT_rider
I third the "not broken" argument.

And... for some of us, it's fun watching the reaction on peoples faces when they put 2 and 2 together. :)

Shawn

What exactly is the benefit of using a secret identity on this or other forums in the age of Facebook, where you have to use a real name? ..........

THis forum and forums in general (and email-chains) existed prior to FB.

FB was unique in requiring use of real name.

Or names that seemed like could be real name, but maybe not, like, ah, mine.

Dennis Andress
Now that all the comedians have told their HILARIOUS jokes, is there any real reason not to do this? Where's Fernando, the other mods, in this conversation?

Missed you. Where you been?

I actually enjoy making the connection of a board name to "The Real McCoy" when I meet posters. It's also a way to learn something about others and or their interests and provides an avenue for some of the more creative or witty folks. I also enjoy learning the story behind many 'handles' - often they are not what one might think.

What exactly is to be gained by having everyone use their name?

Ain't broke. :wave:

Well, I cannot remember names anyway. Sometimes I hesitate when asked my own name. Maybe others here can relate....

How about going with pictures or emblems for handles? I am a visual learner. Something about riding the short bus. We could all have t shirts with our picture or emblem. "Hi Square. Hello Stop Sign".......

Handles and pseudonyms are a sore point of internet culture with me, as I think that they are at least partly to blame for the rise in trollish behavior that plagues the internet.

Not here — the admins are very good at keeping discussion civil — but visit just about any news site that permits comments, and you will see that most discussions rapidly devolve into incivility. The venerable publication The Atlantic provides a good example. I have subscribed to the print edition for years, and one of the pleasures of reading an issue is the civil, usually knowledgeable exchange between those who write letters to the editor and authors of articles. Contrast that with the unmoderated comments in the online edition. I have gotten so tired of reading rants punctuated with terms like "libtard," "rethuglican," "snowflake," and worse that I have pretty much given up on reading online comments because they are so predictably vile. The ability to make such comments behind an assumed identity makes the problem even worse.

I am who I am.

Snip/...... The venerable publication The Atlantic provides a good example. I have subscribed to the print edition for years, and one of the pleasures of reading an issue is the civil, usually knowledgeable exchange between those who write letters to the editor and authors of articles. Contrast that with the unmoderated comments section. . . . . snip/

There is often little to be gained by reading the 'comments' section of any website publication, be it print based, virtual or both. It's clear that there are differing motivations between the folks who write letters to the editor and the vast majority of internet commentators. The fact that said sections are unmoderated creates this issue and the opportunity for disingenuous comments. I personally know someone who is involved in politics and part of his job description is to post comments advocating his party's agenda. He's not the brightest bulb and typically his comments are abrasive and condescending of others - which I think reveals his lack of subject knowledge or interest in the particular topic he's posting about.

I am old fashioned enough that I subscribe to several print publications - including The Atlantic. At times I catch myself browsing the internet comments section of this or that publication - and at times I've found a few 'keepers' as far as concise and well founded comments. More often than not though, I generally stumble across a few very funny comments buried in a ton of garbage and I try to convince myself that those were worth the time I wasted.

But we digress . . .

Back to the OP's topic - This may be a bit of a generational divide. While I'm no Spring Chicken :old:, I don't see an issue - even at my advancing age, and my sense is that younger folks find the concept of handles quite normal.

Edited by workin' them angels
Handles and pseudonyms are a sore point of internet culture with me, as I think that they are at least partly to blame for the rise in trollish behavior that plagues the internet.
As you pointed out, not a problem here. Although I do think in addition to the moderators that there are physical gatherings where the person/pseudonym match is made. This promotes a modicum of civility as most folks do have a sense of humanity when dealing face to face - particularly with the great set of people found here ! :Cool:.

The complete lack of accountability and assignment that comes from invisibility is a power that too many find irresistible. Unfortunately the use of avatars, handles, pseudonyms etc are too ingrained to be swept aside by rational arguments. The twiterverse would certainly explode at any such suggestion.

Sorry, veered slightly off topic. So to circle back, because of our somewhat unique circumstances, I'm with most who say leave it up to the member to decide.

As you pointed out, not a problem here. Although I do think in addition to the moderators that there are physical gatherings where the person/pseudonym match is made. This promotes a modicum of civility as most folks do have a sense of humanity when dealing face to face - particularly with the great set of people found here ! :Cool:.

The complete lack of accountability and assignment that comes from invisibility is a power that too many find irresistible. Unfortunately the use of avatars, handles, pseudonyms etc are too ingrained to be swept aside by rational arguments. The twiterverse would certainly explode at any such suggestion.

Sorry, veered slightly off topic. So to circle back, because of our somewhat unique circumstances, I'm with most who say leave it up to the member to decide.

Who are you again?

This is the reason I use a "handle". I have a very unique last name, and these boards can be seen by non-memebers. Call me a conspiracy nut, but I do not like my real name out in the internet world without my say so. FB, I have my security settings on the max, and even then it is hard to find me. This is for personal privacy. We cannot be "unplugged" in our current society, though I am not going to just be freely giving my info out there.

That is my 0.2 cents worth.

Mike

I think it is because most people identify themselves as ________ . That could be their fake name, their job, their hobby, etc. As for me, it was just tradition. But then again, in today's world too much info about who you are and a "bad guy" can do all manner of damage to credit scores etc.

Craig Zimmer

Edited by Sonor
This is the reason I use a "handle". I have a very unique last name, and these boards can be seen by non-memebers. Call me a conspiracy nut, but I do not like my real name out in the internet world without my say so. FB, I have my security settings on the max, and even then it is hard to find me. This is for personal privacy. We cannot be "unplugged" in our current society, though I am not going to just be freely giving my info out there.

That is my 0.2 cents worth.

Mike

Pretty much the same here. I do have a linkedin account that I really should close because it's useless to me, but other than that, I have a few boards that I've been to and registered. No facebook, twitter, snapchats, etc. My internet world is within the few boards that I visit. It's my little bit of personal security, while it may not be fully effective, it's good in my mind.

Also, everyone I meet does not get the pleasure of knowing my last name. I don't introduce myself with "hi, I'm Richard Jones",...it's simply, "hi, I'm Richard". If'n there's a reason you need-to-know more, I'll give it to you, but until then, I'm Living the Dream

Just for the record, my real first name is Vladimir. :Cool:

And just to double check, you're over that “little misunderstanding” of ours, right?

Nyet.

Just for the record, my real first name is Vladimir. :Cool:

And just to double check, you're over that “little misunderstanding” of ours, right?

Nyet.

Oh shyet.

Interesting, When I asked to join and paid my 1,790 dollar dues I was kinda new to the internet, While filling out the background check sheet I made the error of using my password of my name .... than using my dogs name as a user name . Sooooo I have been Tank ever since. Woof

I think the secret identity usage is with us because there are soooo many people with the same name. For example, a search on linked-in for Mark Goodrich results in nine pages of MGs with 10 MGs/page. Now some of these might be repeats, but you get the idea. Some forums have 10s of thousands of members.

I think the secret identity usage is with us because there are soooo many people with the same name. For example, a search on linked-in for Mark Goodrich results in nine pages of MGs with 10 MGs/page. Now some of these might be repeats, but you get the idea. Some forums have 10s of thousands of members.

FYI. We have over 27,000 registered users.

That's a big number but probably doesn't accurately represent who uses this site. How many of those 27,000 have posted in the last six months?

I've had to join sites to open a picture, or respond, but seldom or never returned to the site.