Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1001048 - 11/17/17 02:56 AM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: Lemans]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by Lemans
OK...not the first time I've been wrong. Looks like the answer to a question nobody is asking. Yamaha does not have a great history with unusual front end designs...see Yamaha GTS for example. Maybe this is a test mule for a new MotoGP design and the answer to loosing the front end wink

I think Yamaha, like other manufacturers, is trying to produce a trike that is more "motorcycle like" than what is currently offered. The trike market including the CanAm seems to really be expanding as riders age but having ridden the CanAm and talked to other riders who have tried a trike, many have the same complaint .... that is just does not feel like a motorcycle because it does not lean. I have ridden the CanAm 3 times and really tied to like it but just did not. This Yamaha attempt seems to try and solve that problem but it sure looks like it took an "ugly bath". Hoping they will have it in the demo fleet at Americade in June.

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#1001073 - 11/17/17 03:43 PM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: Living the Dream]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
Has anyone else noticed that it doesn't seem to lean much in the video?

#1001081 - 11/17/17 04:31 PM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: Dennis Andress]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted by Dennis Andress

I imagine they'd have to design it so the peg feelers touch down well before the front end linkage runs out of travel for leaning. Otherwise, that sudden loss of half your front-end traction when the outside wheel is levered off the ground could be overly exciting.

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#1001115 - 11/18/17 03:55 AM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: Dennis Andress]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by Dennis Andress

Check out 1:21 and 1:51 on the video ... it looks pretty leaned over.

Ed Apelianbike

#1001150 - 11/18/17 04:13 PM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: RTinNC]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by RTinNC
Originally Posted by Lemans
....Looks like the answer to a question nobody is asking.

I think Yamaha, like other manufacturers, is trying to produce a trike that is more "motorcycle like" than what is currently offered.

Ding Ding Ding. Every major Moto Manufacturer is working on design of this type to varying degrees. Remember there is a very significant percentage of the riding population that are aging. We all know of friends who have gone to lighter bikes and many of us have wondered what we need to be on the lookout for as far indications of our own declining abilities. Some things at this age we can compensate for - a little less than ideal footing let's say for example, isn't something we;ll always be able to compensate for. Weight of course is another consideration. Bikes like this have the potential to keep us in the market longer and address many issues that concern aging riders. That's not to say they may not present new challenges.

Assuming potential disposable income of retired folks, this may also draw NEW riders into the market - who have time to ride and may see this as a more stable alternative to 2 wheel riding.

Talking to one Spyder rider and his wife at a gas stop, he was mostly happy with the CanAM vs conventional bike. His wife was over the moon much happier on the back of it. Not sure it's quite apples to apples - but the stability while stopped plays into her happiness to some degree.

Side Note. I would not place mechanical skill at the forefront of my wife's skill set. I would NEVER want her to ride solo. (On our wave runners, she putters along and if she has to ride, prefers to ride behind Yours Truly vs both of us ride solo. It also takes forever to get anywhere as she rides like a Great, Great Grandma) I've tried to imagine her on a Piaggio MP3 - where she would not have to focus (be distracted by?) balance so much or tipping over. She would still ride like a Great Great Grandmother, but perhaps we could enjoy some Sunday afternoon rides in the country together and I wouldn't be so worried about her skill set - she is a good and (overly?) cautious driver, and taking away a significant number of challenges that 2 wheel riders must understand - I would have a much better comfort level with her on a Piaggio type set up.

computerSNAP! Whaa Who. . . Sorry - I was dreaming there. She would still never agree to test one out I'd bet. Wishful thinking . . cuz

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#1001158 - 11/18/17 05:49 PM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: Living the Dream]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis

Motorcyclist recently ran this article:
Rise of the tilting trikes

Honda Neowing Neowing

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#1001160 - 11/18/17 06:24 PM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: Living the Dream]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
I was really interested when I first saw the video, but now... I dunno either. Looks good for most riding, but whathappens at the cornering limit? If I shift weight to the inside will the outside wheel lift? If I don't shift weight, will the inside wheel lift? If either will lift, the steering will be really odd since the other front wheel is no longer in line with the rear wheel. The front wheel track looks too narrow for the front end to just push sideways, a high side seems more likely. I realize the potential market is for more moderate riding, but we've all found ourselves in a corner a bit too hot at some point. I'll be looking forward to test reviews.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1001187 - 11/19/17 01:44 AM Re: Hmmm,....I dunno?!?!?! [Re: workin' them angels]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by workin' them angels

Motorcyclist recently ran this article:
Rise of the tilting trikes

Honda Neowing Neowing

Interesting article and I hope the Yamaha Niken and Honda Neowing are successful. They have to be better than the CanAm which REALLY is not motorcycle like and honestly if I were to go the CanAm route I would probably go the Vanderhall type bike or just get a Corvette. You have to ride a CanAM to really understand how much you will miss the lean. What is nice about the MP3 is that at a stop it locks in the upright position. Some of the other leaning trike experiments did not do that so you had a lot of weight to support and get up off the side stand. Hoping Yamaha has engineered the locking logic into the Niken. Can't wait to try one.

Ed Apelianbike

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3