IGNORED

Weird sound on start up.

McDuugle

Lately I have been experiencing a strange noise on start up. Usually form cold, but sometimes also after riding a while. Sounds happens usually right after the engine fires up but sometime during starting as well. If I had to describe it it would be like tin scraping against something. I have a hunch it may be the starter, almost feels like it does not retract in time after I let go of the start button but hard to tell.

Here is a Video, hard to hear but at 8 seconds is the most accurate portrayal (again @18 seconds). Its that slight scrap noise that last less then a second.

Any ideas?

Will try to post another video soon.

Edited by McDuugle

McDuugle,

That sure sounds like the starter bendix not snapping back after releasing the button. They can get sticky and gummed up. I'd bet its worse when it is cold outside? I cleaned my starter as part of annual maintenance and the problem didn't return.

McDuugle,

That sure sounds like the starter bendix not snapping back after releasing the button. They can get sticky and gummed up. I'd bet its worse when it is cold outside? I cleaned my starter as part of annual maintenance and the problem didn't return.

You hit the nail on the head. Its cooling down now here in FL, and it correlates to the colder the worse it is. Will go ahead a clean that sucker, any tips on how to go about it, what to use and what not to use?

Thanks for the input. Happy Thanksgiving guys!

-Dave

McDuugle,

Just pull the starter and remove the cone cover. Clean all the gunk out of it with some degreaser (and an old toothbrush) and then lightly lube it up. I had better luck with a gun oil or something lighter than a grease that just seemed to attract more gunk. You might also try gently stretching the solenoid spring a little and give it a bit more retracting power. I think it weakens with age.

Here is a good thread on cleaning the starter.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=816545&page=1

Edited by greiffster
WindyKnowItAll

Ah. I can weight in. If you decide to disassemble the starter...

Be sure to select the most lethally sharp object in your shop with which to pry off the lock ring holding the pinion onto the starter shaft.

This will ensure that plenty of blood will be on hand to lubricate various parts for disassembly.

I have done this operation twice and apparently I learned nothing from the first episode of red paper towels and blue air.

Seriously go buy a tool if you have to. Some kind of reverse-plier thing I expect.

The sound is likely coming from one of the plain bushings. Probably the one in the very nose of the thing.

Instead of spinning placidly in the center the shaft attempts to orbit in an eccentric path.

When it is heavily loaded by the engine, no noise, because the torque shoves the shaft to one side.

When the load eases up, the shaft is free to move (and the speed goes up) and the wobble starts in.

It may be sufficient to clean and relube the exterior shaft without taking it apart.

I took the planetary off, (drill out the rivets) flushed the cakey old grease out with WD-40 and replaced the grease.

Re-greased the bushings inside the motor and in the cast aluminum nose. Also the bendix "rocker" pivot points.

The brushes are marked in 1/4s, and given the age of the bike I don't know if I'd bother replacing them unless they are in the last 4th.

From the video it sounds like the starter is still strong, a clue that the magnets are intact and still attached.

I'm sure some greases are better than others for the application but I just used what I had.

Hope you all had a great thanksgiving! Just wanted to update the thread on what worked and what didnt. I ended up taking the start off, and giving it a real good clean and lube. Reinstalled it STILL HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! Crap, so I took it off again double checked everything and this time like recommended by Greiffster, stretched the solenoid spring out a little. THIS WORKED! I guess the spring has lost some its bounce. So we are all reassembled and ready to rock and role again. Unfortunately while I was fixing this issue the next one caught my eye, a small puddle of hydraulic fluid in front of my rear wheel.... On to the next thread to fix the rear shock....

What a timely thread! I took the RT out for a spin yesteray and experienced the same thing however, I'm lazy (and pretty busy, too) and have been ignoring the sound for the past year. I'll pull the starter and do some judicious cleaning soon and I'll make sure to disconnect the battery, Eddd.

Call Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop for shocks.

Ted Porter]The Beemer Shop[/url]

He doesn't over-sell you. Super nice guy. Will ask you all about your bike, your riding style, roads, etc. and will answer questions or discuss suspension as long as you want. He sells several (8) different brands of aftermarket shocks and knows his stuff. Leave a message and he will call you back. That's what someone told me a year ago, they were right, he did call me back (several times), and I recently ordered a set of shocks for the second bike from Ted. Glad I listened. May have been the first time ever.

What a timely thread! I took the RT out for a spin yesteray and experienced the same thing however, I'm lazy (and pretty busy, too) and have been ignoring the sound for the past year. I'll pull the starter and do some judicious cleaning soon and I'll make sure to disconnect the battery, Eddd.

Awesome, glad it will help another member. Just a note, it was more than likely refreshing the spring that made the biggest difference for me, the cleaning and lubing helped, but stretching the spring did the trick in the end.