IGNORED

New member & Tank bag question

skyking1

Hi everyone, I'm new and just getting back into riding.

Been off the bike for about 10 years....last rode HD Road King.

Had to get the (3 girls) kids raised, buy braces, prom dresses, colleges, and weddings...I'm dam near broke...

Just purchased 2017 1200RT a couple a days ago, pick it up next week. So I'm killing time buying some bling to go with it.

Question on tank bag...what is the best/most popular way to secure it to the bike? I see the magnet type, and the strap type, and the gas cap clip...

What works best? to keep bike from scratches, and easy to add gas?

Thanks for having me, can't wait.

Having owned magnetic, strap on, and tank ring, there will only be tank ring bags for me. No scratches. Easiest by far to put gas in.

I am running one of the Givi units and could not be happier with how it works.

I bought the BMW brand when I bought my 2016. Didn't like it and bought a Wonderlich bag. I'm totally happy with it for the stuff I like to carry, a metal water bottle, sunscreen, ear plugs, I keep my owners manual, there is a curved pocket for a spare face shield. I like the map pocket, it zips wide open to make it easy to get maps in. One funy thing is if you fill the left side pocket to the front the horn will honk when you turn the handle bars. You need to keep the front of that side pocket empty. I bought a REI little zip case that I can put small stuff in, then bigger things like my water bottle next to it.

I got a SW-MOTECH Daypack that is ideal for my purposes. Not too big and unclips in an instant.

Here's Moshe's review for the R1200RTW:

Be cautious about how big you go. I went with a smaller Givi after having tank bags that interfered with the handlebars ( horn honking included...) when turned to the stops. The smaller one does all I need it to do and is MUCH easier to remove and take into a restaurant or store with me.

I have the big Givi and realshelby is right about it hitting the horn button. I've learned to avoid that and enjoy the large capacity. But, it is a bit big for the bike. I put a qt. thermos bottle and full size digital camera in it and have room for rain gloves, flashlight, and more. The attachment, I agree, works well.

And, I think it is reasonably priced.

Edited by fastlarry
I have the big Givi and realshelby is right about it hitting the horn button. I've learned to avoid that and enjoy the large capacity. But, it is a bit big for the bike. I put a qt. thermos bottle and full size digital camera in it and have room for rain gloves, flashlight, and more. The attachment, I agree, works well.

And, I think it is reasonably priced.

The smaller size Givi bag has not been an issue with the horn on my RTW

• 2 months later...

Ok, New question?

I went with the Givi Tank lock bag. Love it, works perfect.

My question is , How many of you have removed the safety strap?......if make a real hassle to remove the bag and take inside.

I'm thinking hard about removing it.