IGNORED

Skene and trigger wire

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

1. If the brake/tail light on the wet RT is LED (?) why couldn't I connect it to my Skene winky lights controller, like I did with the GT top case tail/brake light?

2. I need a trigger wire near the battery for my fused power block, suggestions please.

TIA,

M

If you have central locking, you should have a round plug under the rear seat. One of those wires is what you'd tap into for the brake light. If you don't have central locking, you'll have a flat four plug connector with a cap on it. If you probe those, one will be the brake light that would have gone to the top case.

I bought Clearwater Darla spot lights for my RT. That has a built in trigger output. That is what I used. If you don't have that, I wonder if one of the wires in that same four wire plug would work. One of those would be the hot wire for the inside trunk light.

markgoodrich

Thanks, 92Merc no central locking, I'm trying not to run a trigger wire all the way to the back, but can if absolutely necessary, in which case really all I need is the color of the brake or tail light hot wire. Using that connection would keep me from trying to connect the Skene controller to the brake/tail light, though.

So really, I need a ignition on/go dead off hot wire color and location.

markgoodrich
Skene offers detailed, bike-specific instructions here on their website. Their choice of power source does stay on for a short time after ignition off.

Skene offers detailed, bike-specific instructions here on their website. Their choice of power source does stay on for a short time after ignition off.

Thanks, Larry, hadn't occurred to me to do something sensible. That'll work for the Skenes, but I really also need an instant-off trigger for the fused power block.

Thanks, Larry, hadn't occurred to me to do something sensible. That'll work for the Skenes, but I really also need an instant-off trigger for the fused power block.

Are you sure you NEED to have the fuse block go off with the ignition? Will something bad happen if it stays live for 30 seconds or is it a personal preference? If you absolutely require it to go off immediately, Hex ezCAN has one 4A output with variable (0-10 second) timeout. If that's enough you could set it to zero and call it done, otherwise you could use it to trigger a PDM60, Neutrino, or other power module.The ezCAN has other 3 outputs too (4A + 2 x 5A), although I don't know what their timeout periods are - you'd have to contact them to find out.

I like that the ezCAN plugs directly into the wiring harness and doesn't use a Posi-tap for the trigger wire like the other ones.

markgoodrich

Are you sure you NEED to have the fuse block go off with the ignition? Will something bad happen if it stays live for 30 seconds or is it a personal preference? If you absolutely require it to go off immediately, Hex ezCAN has one 4A output with variable (0-10 second) timeout. If that's enough you could set it to zero and call it done, otherwise you could use it to trigger a PDM60, Neutrino, or other power module.The ezCAN has other 3 outputs too (4A + 2 x 5A), although I don't know what their timeout periods are - you'd have to contact them to find out.

I like that the ezCAN plugs directly into the wiring harness and doesn't use a Posi-tap for the trigger wire like the other ones.

I don't have the ezcan, so that's moot. I want the fused ppower block to go off when the ignition is turned off so when I'm adding or adjusting farkles I don't have to wait for the system to power down before retesting. Personal preference. Still haven't found a wire that will do so.

I want the fused ppower block to go off when the ignition is turned off so when I'm adding or adjusting farkles I don't have to wait for the system to power down before retesting. Personal preference. Still haven't found a wire that will do so.

The taillight wire turns off within a couple of seconds, as long as it's actually plugged in to the taillight. Apparently they're sending CANbus signal as well as power down that wire. If it's unplugged from the taillight, it stays on for 30 seconds or so, presumably because the controller hasn't received a response to its "turn off" message.

Thanks, Bill, do you know the color of the wire?

Gray with a red stripe.

Thanks, Bill, do you know the color of the wire?

Gray with a red stripe.

No wire like that. Apparently they change without notice. Frustrating. I want to trigger my 50W MotoLights with the ignition and have them go off right away. I'm also going to connect the tail/brake light to the Skene winky controller for more and brighter brake flashes, need to find the tail and brake wires for that, too.

I can tell you from experience the running light will take one tap depending on draw. Exceed the draw and the running light will go out throw a code and you will need to turn the bike off and on for canbus to reset it. It will do the same thing until you lessen the draw on it. I have experienced this with a AddMore run/turn/brake light in my Shad top case.

Your best bet is a fuse block of some type. I use a Centeck myself.

Edited by LAF

If you want to turn it off before the 20 seconds you can always add a switch. As sometime I'm careful with my money :-) On my RT LC I have a fuse block powered from from the battery with a relay which has a switched signal from the aux socket. As don't have the radio option the fuse block is behind one of the speakers and each feed from it has a push on off switch so I can control which accessories have power. I have put the buttons in place of the blanks on the left hand filler panel that would normally have the radio controls.

this solution means that at worst they will auto power off in 20 seconds or I can turn them off sooner. Powered from this I have Aux lights sat nav and two way radio

If you want to turn it off before the 20 seconds you can always add a switch. As sometime I'm careful with my money :-) On my RT LC I have a fuse block powered from from the battery with a relay which has a switched signal from the aux socket. As don't have the radio option the fuse block is behind one of the speakers and each feed from it has a push on off switch so I can control which accessories have power. I have put the buttons in place of the blanks on the left hand filler panel that would normally have the radio controls.

this solution means that at worst they will auto power off in 20 seconds or I can turn them off sooner. Powered from this I have Aux lights sat nav and two way radio

Yeah, I've thought of that, good idea, except now it's a dadgum challenge to find that ONE WIRE!!! As it stands right now the farkles are all on the bike, connected, and for the moment, working. Turning off the ignition turns everything off after the 20 second delay.

Thanks for the reply.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I've thought of that, good idea, except now it's a dadgum challenge to find that ONE WIRE!!! As it stands right now the farkles are all on the bike, connected, and for the moment, working. Turning off the ignition turns everything off after the 20 second delay.

Thanks for the reply.

Mark, did you find the wire to accomplish this?

Have you thought of using the low beam as a trigger?

That should turn off the moment you turn off the bike, and it should not turn on until the motor has started.

That is what I had done on my 2007 R1200RT.

If you have headlight Pro, when the ambient light is at a certain threshold, the Angel Eyes go to full brilliance and the dip beam goes off.

I think that might not be true in the USA, where bikes are legally required to have an always-on headlight.