IGNORED

2004 1150r no crank help

cmack

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on here. Currently having a no crank problem and was wondering if someone had an idea of what was going on.

I was trying to get my 1150r to start and I was cleaning the fuel system out. This included fuel injectors, pump, fuel lines, filter. After I cleaned/replaced those parts the bike was able to start and idle perfectly. I took it for a few laps around the block to make sure everything is good and it shut off on me while driving 40 mph.

When the bike shut off it almost sounded like a few hard knocks or possibly a chain coming off. I tried starting it again and you can hear the fuel pump turn on. After holding in the clutch and hitting the start button, you just hear a click.

Battery is fully charged and oil just changed. If anyone has any helpful input that would be greatly appreciated. Thinking it might be a timing chain?

Thank you in advanced.

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on here. Currently having a no crank problem and was wondering if someone had an idea of what was going on.

I was trying to get my 1150r to start and I was cleaning the fuel system out. This included fuel injectors, pump, fuel lines, filter. After I cleaned/replaced those parts the bike was able to start and idle perfectly. I took it for a few laps around the block to make sure everything is good and it shut off on me while driving 40 mph.

When the bike shut off it almost sounded like a few hard knocks or possibly a chain coming off. I tried starting it again and you can hear the fuel pump turn on. After holding in the clutch and hitting the start button, you just hear a click.

Battery is fully charged and oil just changed. If anyone has any helpful input that would be greatly appreciated. Thinking it might be a timing chain?

Thank you in advanced.

Afternoon cmack

Difficult to tell you much until we have more info from you.

As it stands we are not sure IF the engine locked up or you have an electrical issue.

First thing you need to do is see if the engine is free & the crankshaft will turn. Try putting bike on center stand then put trans in 6th gear & try turning the rear wheel (removing the spark plugs will make engine turning easier). Or remove front engine cover & put a wrench on crank pulley bolt to turn engine over.

If engine crankshaft will turn then possibly a bad battery (battery can be fully charged but lack cranking amps)-- So try jumping from an auto battery then hit starter button. Or put a voltmeter across the battery posts & verify that you have over 10 volts at the battery when you push the starter button & hear the click.

Also check for tight & non corroded battery cables at the battery posts.

Lots of things possible & lots of things to check but we need a failure mode direction to give you specifics on what to check next.