IGNORED

Rear Shock Compatibility

McDuugle

I have a 98 R1100RT, my rear shock has just started leaking (may be the colder weather).... I am not looking to dish out a crazy amount of cash on some Ohlins or anything like that just trying to see what the market is like for a nice used rear shock. To improve my odds, do any other years or models share the same rear shock?

Thanks in advance.

_Dave

PS mine has the preload adjustment, would be nice feature to keep.

Hi, Dave -

As you probably know, the part # for that rear shock is 33532331946.

If you go to realoem.com with that part number you can find all models that it fits:

Supersedes:

33532314868 (01/15/1995 — 05/16/1997)

Part 33532331946 was found on the following vehicles:

259 (R 850 RT, R 1100 RT) (05/1994 — 11/2001)

More to the point, you can do an internet search on the part #. See if any are for sale. There's one on ebay now.

Edited by TheOtherLee

Just remember that buying a used shock off a bike of this generation can result in you just buying another worn out shock.

I have a '99 RT that I bought in 2005 with almost 40k miles on it and they were about done.

Finding low mileage "take-off" shocks for an 1100 at this stage of the game will be a challenge.

You can buy a standard Hagon shock for 400-460.

It won't have a remote preload but how often do you use it, really?

You can add one, but that gets the price to 5-550.

I'm a dealer for them, Dave Quinn Motorcycles is a dealer , wherever you buy, I really suggest new.

The thing is, once you see how well a new rear works, you will want a new front as well. The difference is that big.

Edited by Tri750

The thing is, once you see how well a new rear works, you will want a new front as well. The difference is that big.

I agree with this statement. In the last two years I had both my Ohlins rebuilt (they were on the bike I bought used). The difference in comfort and handling is staggering as compared to worn shocks.

Edited by James in OK

I hear ya on the $$ cringe for premium shocks and I'm guessing new Ohlins are about 50% of the total bike value. Some years back I did switch to Ohlins on my '99 RT and cringed at the price when I bought them, but those shocks transformed that bike in terms of improved handing while giving a much more plush ride. In the end I would say that it was best money I ever spent on that bike. One caution is to be sure that it isn't the hydraulic spring preload piston seal that is leaking...that is way less $$ to fix and non-leaking bone yard parts might be easier to get hold of.

If you do end up buying a new rear shock, do yourself a favor and be sure to splurge on the front as well as only doing the rear now will become a pay me now or pay me later purchase as the front is likely near dead too. Also, you'll get matching damping characteristics which play a big role in maintaining good handling.

Rebuilding (at least through ORORcycle in Austin) depends on which parts need replacing. My front Ohlins rebuild was around $175. Rear (including remote adjuster) was closer to $300. It ain't cheap, but it is like new when done.

http://ororcycle.com/ I was very pleased.

we used to use Lindemann Engineering for shock rebuilds but the cost to rebuild a factory shock has gone up to where buying a new Hagon is about the same .

rebuilding an Ohlins or Works shock isn't the same as rebuilding an OE shock .

Here with my 5 cents' worth: I have a Honda 800 with twin rear shocks which I replaced with Hagon last year. My weight, riding style and luggage info was requested when ordering.

After riding the bike for almost two years, I can't say they gave me the 'magic carpet ride' that many Ohlins owners claim. I'm not unhappy as the original rear shocks were not stellar. But can't claim the Hagon's were leaps and bound above the original factory ones either.

And here's another $0.02 worth:

Best advice I got (from forums, too) was to call Ted Porter at The BeemerShop The Beemer Shop. I did, and am very glad I did.

I called, left a message, and Ted Porter himself called me back on a Saturday evening. He asked a ton of questions; the bike, me, my riding style, extra loads, pillion, types of roads, tires, the condition of the bike, plans for the bike, etc, etc, etc.

It is a '99 R1100S, no pillion, sport touring, sometimes 50-60 lbs camping gear, 15K miles on it. He recommended Wilbers, for several reasons. It turns out he has these on his '99 R1100S as well. Not the most expensive choice, but the best choice everything considered.

That was a little over a year ago. Two months ago I ordered a second set for a K1200RS. Same procedure.

He will talk suspension and share his knowledge whether you buy from him or not

Edited by Lowndes

You need to compare apples to apples.

Hagon twin shocks have 3 levels of damping for their shocks.

So three pre assembled damping units to build off of.

They select the correct spring for the riders weight and the percentage a passenger is present then assemble.

That's why the reasonable price

Ohlins and other high end shocks custom build a damper unit with the damping valve shimmed and sprung to the exact needs.

Not every order or motorcycle needs a thousand dollar shock .

A Honda 800 cruiser will not handle like an R1 with Ohlins on it or whatever suspension changes one makes to it.

The chassis just isn't the foundation for that.

It will however wallow less, scrape less and not transfer jolts to the riders spine.

Hagons seem like the best deal in town. Will end up going for those more than likely. Will probably skip the preload to keep cost down.

Glad you are going for new VS bone yard OEM shocks as ultimately they are a wear component, as you found out after springing a fluid leak. Unless you are juggling the load often between single and two up+ gear, skipping the remote preload adjuster probably would not be missed. I still recommend you replace front and rear, but maybe you can spread that out between two seasons if the budget just isn't going to let you buy both at the same time.

Let's us know how it turns out.

Greg Williams

Not sure if you are interested but I have a used Ohlins rear shock. I bought an 1100GS two years ago and this past summer sold it to a friend. To get the price down to $2000 we agreed that I would keep the Ohlins shocks and Staintune exhaust. I put the front Ohlins on my 1150GS but the rear only fits 1100's. I would guess that a fair price might be $450.