Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#971583 - 09/25/16 04:20 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: bwr]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Originally Posted By: bwr
I noticed that the Osram Nightbreaker H7 Halogen bulb was recommended earlier in this thread. Is it a worthwhile improvement over the stock BMW bulb? Any other suggestions?

Yes, it is a worthwhile increase in light output. But at a cost in life of bulb. I got a few thousand miles out of my first one, but it was treated a bit rough when I was working on an LED setup. Put my spare Nightbreaker in and it was good till I removed it....more on that later.

#1001563 - 11/27/17 12:00 AM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
markgoodrich Offline
markgoodrich  Offline

Austin, TX
I'm a little late to this discussion. My low beam went out this morning, and I replaced it without benefit of this forum. I looked at the owner's manual and after a few minutes realized the photos are upside down. But it didn't really matter, because I figured out a better solution.

You'll need a hammer; good quality duct tape (not that Harbor Freight crap); one 24" 1/4" diameter wooden dowel; a good supply of CR123 A lithium batteries, or if you're adventurous, rechargeable equivalents, if such exist, and a system for on-bike charging; and a Fenix PD 35 flashlight or equivalent.

Reach up under the front of the bike and remove the little cover by turning it counterclockwise.

Unplug the light. Pull really hard, the damn thing is stuck. Cuss a lot, it helps.

Spend about half an hour trying to get those wires off. If you succeed, pull the dead bulb out and replace it with one that probably won't work.

Spend the next six hours trying to get the little fish hooks back in place.

Now, pick up the hammer and smash a hole in the headlight assembly. Make it as big as you like. Make more than one if it suits you.

Easily cram the Fenix PD35 into the hole where the bulb should go, and affix with duct tape.

Each time you ride, use the dowel to push the on/off button on the flashlight (it's on the back of the unit, so with just a little practice you can hit it every time). Don't forget to turn the PD35 to maximum output.

The above solution should suffice to satisfy federal lighting requirements for motorcycles. If you find yourself out in the night, just use your high beams all the time. They're pretty easy to replace, although the cost of two more PD35s might be a little onerous.

2016 R1200RT

#1001567 - 11/27/17 10:22 AM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
AndyS Online
AndyS  Online

Somerset, Great Britain.
This weekend I converted the dip beam and the high beam units to Car Rover LED units. To do it I completely removed the headlight unit from the bike.
If I were to ever try and replace a normal bulb on the Dip Beam, I would still remove the complete headlight unit. The high beams are ok in-situ to replace the stock bulb like for like, but it gets really tight trying to do an LED unit.

#1001584 - 11/27/17 06:29 PM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Had to do my first low beam at ~10K miles...guess I'm following along the reported trend of short life. I was running errands around town and maybe the 3 on/off cycles within an hour didn't help but early bulb failure seemed never to be a problem for my other bikes, even the HID conversion bulb on my '99RT lasted longer. I replaced the bulb in the auto parts store parking lot and found that the kissing the front of head light nacelle approach was the only way to manage unlatching and re-latching the retainer spring wire.

Took me 15 minutes and one run-on 9 syllable cuss word to get it done, but should be easier next time now that I brailed my way through it once. The job would have been way easier if I was in jeans instead of work slacks so I could of gotten on my knees in some kind strange prayer pose instead of crouching. My finger tips were sore for the rest of the day, so I made up the wood dowel tool, pointed out above, for next time and keep it taped to the package of the spare bulb.

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1001603 - 11/28/17 09:46 AM Re: Low Beam Bulb Replacement [Re: narcosis]  
AndyS Online
AndyS  Online

Somerset, Great Britain.
Well, the LED headlights (main and Dip) were tried last night in the horrible rain. Motorways, A roads and country lanes,
No one flashed me. I felt that the light placement and brilliance was an order of magnitude better than the stock lights. I highly recommend the LED route.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NCLD2PF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I4MROB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7