IGNORED

Spring swap for 2017 RT??

bobbybob

Has anyone swapped OEM rear shock spring on a recent LC RT with dynamic ESA? Or does it require buying a completely new setup from Ted Porter/etc? At 6K miles mine is sagging and adding preload is just making the ride harsher. :eek:

Edited by bobbybob

You shouldn't need replacement shocks at 6k, I'd get the bike in to the dealer. Seems like you have a faulty shock. The OEM aren't rebuild-able they would need to be replace with OEM or aftermarket which would be my choice. Let us know what the dealer says.

Jay

Thanks, but the shock isn't what I'd call faulty, the damping works--but all shocks are under-sprung from the factory unless you fit the mfgr profile which is probably a 165 lb rider. And then all springs will settle some in the first few thousand miles. So you end up with excessive sag on a practically new shock. I would be "shocked" lol if BMW replaced one because its sagging more than the rider likes.

Great question as it sounds like your spring is a mismatch for you (weight and set up preferences). If you find someone who make aftermarket springs to match your load and riding preferences please share the info and how it all turned out.

I find the ESA shocks on my 2015 to be pretty good but not as good as the Ohlins I put on my '99RT. I can either have the ESA be plush but under damped, or in control but a bit harsh, but I can't get to it being in control AND plush like my Ohlins.

I'd give Porter's Beemershop a call (831-438-1100) and at least ask about changing only the spring(s). Ted was willing to outfit my '06 ESA with a manual preload adjuster while retaining the electric damping control for a reasonable cost.They are known to be easy to work with and can probably give you a price over the phone.

I'd give Porter's Beemershop a call (831-438-1100) and at least ask about changing only the spring(s). Ted was willing to outfit my '06 ESA with a manual preload adjuster while retaining the electric damping control for a reasonable cost.They are known to be easy to work with and can probably give you a price over the phone.

Yep, sent them an email today, no word yet.

Wow, I have just the opposite problem. I find the springing on my RTW way too hard on the soft setting!

When you say "soft setting" are you speaking about damping or preload? Preload (what I'm referring to) has 1-rider, rider+luggage, and 2-rider settings. SOFT is one of the damping settings.

Either way, it should not be too hard....

Re. my msg to Ted Porter, he called and explained the working of the RT's rear shock and it looks like shims are the answer, not a spring swap. The spring is actually a 3-part deal that I never imagined it to be, quite complex.

Edited by bobbybob

When you say "soft setting" are you speaking about damping or preload? Preload (what I'm referring to) has 1-rider, rider+luggage, and 2-rider settings. SOFT is one of the damping settings.

Either way, it should not be too hard.....

1 rider / Rain Mode / Soft

1 rider / Rain Mode / Soft

If its too hard in the 1-rider setting, have a dealer check it out. Mine is absolutely like a pogo stick in 1-rider, way too soft for any useful purpose. I have read where the shock will lock into the 2-rider preload mode if something in the electronic adjustment mechanism goes kerflooey. The rain ride-mode and soft-damping mode you mention don't really apply to my issues.

Bob,

Like folks that are height challenged custom shock are their answer. I don't know your weight nor the range of the OEM shock but I'd still checking with the dealer. When my shocks went out on my Oilhead, Ted Porter set me up a nice set of Wilbers a world of difference from stock but I don't expect the degree of improvement when the time comes to replace.

Jay

FYI, I did hear back from Ted Porter re. a solution. He told me the OEM shock was way more complex that I had ever imagined, involving a 2nd internal elastomer shock and a scheme where the 1-rider and rider+luggage settings are using that elastomer in conjunction with the "main" spring. But when you switch to the 2-rider setting you jump completely to that main spring which can handle 450 or so lbs, so with only 1 rider its rather harsh, which is what I was feeling. So a spring swap is not the answer or even viable--but some spacer/shims can be added to increase the "initial preload" and raise the overall height in every setting. That is the route I will be taking when the weather becomes nasty in a few weeks. Right now we're still enjoying upper-40's to mid-50's in the daytime in sunny NC!

Edited by bobbybob

Wonder why Ohlins haven't offered a front and rear spring/shock for the water boxer RT's. I have had Ohlins on the last 4 BMW's and are allways the first modification I make. I would replace the ESA shocks with manually adjustable Ohlins, if they were available. I think the stock shocks do a good job for a rider of my weight and honestly I was surprised how good they are, so I'm not desperate to get it done.