IGNORED

Gas Leak

Retired At LAst

Retired At LAst

After sitting for six months I stated up my 1999 BMW1100rtp.

Immediately gas started pouring out from the right side in back of the right head cylinder.

I shut the engine off and since that date had started the bike maybe 10 times. NO LEAK>

I took all the Tupperware off, inspected everything , tightened the gas line clamps,and put everything back..

Have ridden the bike some 200 miles since then.No leaks.

Any ideas??

Could the gas in the tank expanded over the winter ( I live in Florida) and came out the overflow upon startup?

Could the canister became clogged.

Should I carry a fire extinguisher when I ride?

Thanks.

After sitting for six months I stated up my 1999 BMW1100rtp.

Immediately gas started pouring out from the right side in back of the right head cylinder.

I shut the engine off and since that date had started the bike maybe 10 times. NO LEAK>

I took all the Tupperware off, inspected everything , tightened the gas line clamps,and put everything back..

Have ridden the bike some 200 miles since then.No leaks.

Any ideas??

Could the gas in the tank expanded over the winter ( I live in Florida) and came out the overflow upon startup?

Could the canister became clogged.

Should I carry a fire extinguisher when I ride?

Morning Retired At LAst

Not that unusual on the BMW 1100/1150 bikes if they have quick disconnects in the fuel tank hoses.

The "O" rings inside the quick disconnects get a bit old & hard so when the bike sits for a while the slight negative pressure in the fuel system due to fuel cooling (temperature changes) tends to unseat the "O" rings.

When you first start it after sitting the "O" rings fail to seat again so you get a fuel leak.

Sometimes after a few key-on pump cycles, or engine warming, they will seat again & the leak goes away (for a while) or until the bike sits again.

Not 100% positive it's the cause but a darn good good guess is that new "O" rings inside the quick disconnects (or quick disconnect replacement) will stop your after storage fuel leak.

Yes, Dirt Rider, and the male half of those Quick Disconnects has a habit of snapping after the passage of time, because the guts of it is plastic. I replaced both pairs of mine with the metal version.

In order to avoid any possibility of this happening :-

i-5s4j5HV-640.mp4

AL in s.e. Spain

Mine was the gas tank barb to hose connection on the pressure side. Just loose enough to leak after setting a week or two, The pressure would then make the connection seal. It would leak and run along the hose dripping off the quick connect area. I replaced the hose and all is well. I found you could see the leak if you looked thru the front of the bike with a flashlight. It would only leak for a second or two before resealing itself. I found you could move the hose a bit upon disassembly. Hose replacement should be something to think about as these bikes age. Mike

• 5 weeks later...
Retired At LAst

Trying to replace my oil cap. Using a screwdriver I pryed the old insert out,

How do I insert the new piece? It wont go in.

Is there a trick to it?