Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1002276 - 12/12/17 01:53 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: Patallaire]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted by Patallaire
They who do not want to make money because they are in it for their passion, never watch Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank. At the end of the day, it is always about the money whenever an investment is made.

Agreed, but my point was if it was only about $$ then Schlossmann would have better off opening another car dealership. Motorcycle dealerships in these parts have survived by selling something else, like ATVs or snowmobiles and yard equipment. In this case, their motorcycle only shop is likely stabilized by the more consistent cash flow of the auto dealerships in the off months.

Originally Posted by 1two
Louisville Ky has a BMW/Harley marriage then its Indy or Nashville always hope they stay around.

That is like Mischler's they sell both HD and BMW at the same location. It isn't the case at Mischlers as those guys were all in on motorcycles from childhood on. But I wondered how other HD/BMW shops work out as I saw how terrible Buell was supported by most of the HD dealers. I typically could tell those guys more about their Buell models than they could...knowledge about adjustable suspension, not so much, but they knew how you could chrome it!

Last edited by Paul De; 12/12/17 01:59 PM.

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1002356 - 12/14/17 10:20 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: Bud]  
dba Offline
dba  Offline

Centerville, NV
Originally Posted by Bud
Gateway BMW in St. Louis is stand alone and seems to be doing very well. Their service bays are full, offer to ride any bike whenever I show up to buy parts. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Lots of accessories. Have a couple of Open House events during the year. Have a good relationship with the local BMW MOA club. Lots of used inventory.

Are they making much money? Who can tell.

But it's a pleasure to visit and talk motorcycles, sit on new models, dream a little and feel like they are happy to see all of their customers. It's not a palace by any means. In a small strip with a pest control business on the other end.

Another small place is GrassRoots in Cape Girardeau, MO. They too seem to be doing well from a pretty small location.

Happy to have more than one choice available here in the Midwurst. grin

Was at both of those dealerships last summer as I rode the Great River Road from the headwaters in MN all the way down to NOLA. Stopped at Gateway just for a T-shirt and stayed talking for 90 minutes. The guy even threw in some stickers and key fobs. Had a service done at Grass Roots and the staff was equally amazing.

David A.
IBA: 37338
BMWMOA: 139753
2012 K1600GTL Mineral Silver Metallic
Hope is not a strategy.
#1002359 - 12/14/17 11:10 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: dba]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by dba
Originally Posted by Bud
Gateway BMW in St. Louis is stand alone and seems to be doing very well. Their service bays are full, offer to ride any bike whenever I show up to buy parts. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Lots of accessories. Have a couple of Open House events during the year. Have a good relationship with the local BMW MOA club. Lots of used inventory.

But it's a pleasure to visit and talk motorcycles, sit on new models, dream a little and feel like they are happy to see all of their customers. It's not a palace by any means. In a small strip with a pest control business on the other end.

Another small place is GrassRoots in Cape Girardeau, MO. They too seem to be doing well from a pretty small location.

Was at both of those dealerships last summer as I rode the Great River Road from the headwaters in MN all the way down to NOLA. Stopped at Gateway just for a T-shirt and stayed talking for 90 minutes. The guy even threw in some stickers and key fobs. Had a service done at Grass Roots and the staff was equally amazing.

I stopped at Grass Roots on my way to Salt Lake last July for the MOA Rally. Nice guys and a cool location right on the river. And non-ethanol premium gas just up the street! Did not make it to Gateway but maybe next year.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RTinNC; 12/14/17 11:16 PM.

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#1002376 - 12/15/17 02:02 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: dba]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted by dba
Originally Posted by Bud

That warms my heart to see MC only dealers making it work. I appreciate a business that can focus on a specific customer base as they just can get so much deeper into what that base wants. Maybe our winters here are just enough longer that it makes this type of business model difficult to sustain or, maybe spending habits in these parts play a roll...Folks in Wisconsin can be very miserly (to be polite). I really hope that the in the years ahead that going to the BMW dealer does not mean you are looking at cars and bikes under one roof. With profitability clearly with the cars I suspect you'll find he motorcycles stuffed into a dark corner with no knowledgeable staff to support the bikes.

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1002682 - 12/24/17 02:11 AM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: TestPilot]  
Cal'sgone Offline
Newer Member
Cal'sgone  Offline
Newer Member

Eugene, OR
Just a thought on BMW repairs. Short story first, ask other bike shops if their mechanic has BMW experience, from a previous work location. I service my Yamaha majesty at a dealer I really like. When my BMW happened, I called to ask about service and found out my guy had been 12 years with BMW and certified. There are other mechanics that may be certified, and willing, plus have the tools to do the work. Another source is a referral from a BMW owner who has a local independent mech. who prefers to work on local bikes. So a dealer is not the only answer, but needs to be researched to find a good match, personality and prices. Below is a bit more on my new (to me) BMW.

Before deciding on a pristine one owner '97 BMW r1100 RS - abs -- just has 35,400 miles, I wanted to know if there was service locally. What I found was reassuring, so I'm just waiting for the right time to get and ride it home. Only 140 miles out, but the owner is having a complete service for me at his expense, with his local guy.. The dealer is CLOSED the month of January, so I get it some time mid Feb. Shortly I would ride it to the shop I like, and see what they would offer as a service arrangement. I loved my Triumph 955i, but no longer have a service guy locally, so it went to a buddy who has wanted it for years. I can't do much service anymore, darn it.

Getting BMW when ready at shop maybe Feb., as fully checked out. Now riding Yamaha Majesty 400 (maxi scoot) after many years of good times.
#1002825 - 12/28/17 05:06 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: szurszewski]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by szurszewski
Originally Posted by Paul De

I can see the day coming that an old time biker like me showing up in greased up jeans and a t-shirt chasing a part is made to go through the back door so as to not frighten the more posh car drivers waiting for their Bimmer to be serviced!

This is actually great fun at the car dealers - walking in with a broken rusty greasy 20 year old suspension part, in my grimy shop clothes, through the front door, pausing to grab an espresso before plunking the bit down on the parts counter...

Not so fast . . . . Many / most - if not all BMW auto dealerships no longer work on the older car models. Fortunately there's a strong independent Euro import service network to provide service. BUt even some of them won't work on the older cars. Given the lower volume of bikes, if BMW bikes and auto dealerships merge - it's difficult to see this disturbing service trend reversing.

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#1002833 - 12/28/17 06:09 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: workin' them angels]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by workin' them angels
Originally Posted by szurszewski
Originally Posted by Paul De

I can see the day coming that an old time biker like me showing up in greased up jeans and a t-shirt chasing a part is made to go through the back door so as to not frighten the more posh car drivers waiting for their Bimmer to be serviced!

This is actually great fun at the car dealers - walking in with a broken rusty greasy 20 year old suspension part, in my grimy shop clothes, through the front door, pausing to grab an espresso before plunking the bit down on the parts counter...

Not so fast . . . . Many / most - if not all BMW auto dealerships no longer work on the older car models. Fortunately there's a strong independent Euro import service network to provide service. BUt even some of them won't work on the older cars. Given the lower volume of bikes, if BMW bikes and auto dealerships merge - it's difficult to see this disturbing service trend reversing.

...but both the quoted comments are about buying parts. We already know they don't want to actually work on our bikes/cars wink

*insert witty remark here*
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4