IGNORED

Tire repair kits

danevans

Generic tire repair "strings" to plug holes, and a Cycle Pump from Aerostich. The Cycle Pump seems absurdly expensive (it was "only" $80 when I bought it), but I have had mine for 10 years, and it still works. I replace the tire repair strings and goo each spring. Everything, including the OEM tools, and a secondary tool pouch, fits under the seat of my 1999 R1100RT.

That said, the two flats I have had in the past 60,000 miles were both unrepairable. The first was a large roofing nail, which required 2 or 3 strings to hold enough air to make it to a dealer 15 miles away, stopping every 5 miles to pump up the tire. The second, on Skyline Drive, in VA, involved hitting a chunk of oak the size of my thumb that penetrated 2 steel belts, leaving a large hole in the tread. After a tow to Harrisonburg, VA, Anton Largiader of Charlottesville graciously fitted a new rear tire on short notice, and I was on my way.

I've had good success with Nealey.

largeminikit2.jpg

I've tried several and the Nealey is been the best for me along with a Slime pump.

Here is a link to a write up.

I carry the same combination on my ATV and my Mercedes. It got me home after slicing a tire on my quad 30 miles into a 65 mile riding in a very remote part of Utah back country. The slice took 4 ropes but held for the remaining 35 miles back to my truck.

Two votes for Nealey is good enough for me; adding to my Christmas gift list. Great write up, especially the part about using stomach for leverage. I have more stomach available than I did 50 years ago...

Edited by Selden

Thanks everybody. Don't know for sure which way I will go. Like most everything else in life,there is good and bad with both. Thanks again!

Like many hints, every situation is different. There is no "best" of anything.

I've used the Stop N Go plug kit for 10 years. The first time was on my F150, using the kit I bought for my RT. It worked amazing and I ordered a new truck tire. Time passed and about 8 months later I get a call from my buddy at the tire shop asking if I still want the tire. What?? I had forgotten about the plug and the tire hadn't lost a bit of air from normal. I have that kit now in both my 4 wheeled vehicles plus a Slime 12v compressor.

I've used the Stop N Go probably 4-5 times collectively mainly on other peoples tires with great success for simple punctures . For a cut, the "rope type" does work better although I was able to stack several of the Stop N Go mushroom type plugs in a cut to get me to a tire shop (same F150)

The real answer is to have a mushroom type kit such as the one mentioned for punctures and a "rope type" for cuts or large punctures. The Nealy kit is one of the few kits that actually use a cotton or "rope" plug, not just rubber worms covered in goo. One could store the Nealy kit inside the Stop N Go zipper bag and have double coverage.

The small Slime compressor has always gotten good ratings in tests as has the Stop N Go in the larger kit, but I prefer the Slime puffer.

Two things about having a good plugging system is 1, practice on an old tire when you get the kit to save time and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ! I've seen guys frustrated trying to use the kit by guessing and not having the plug properly inserted in the tool prior to using it. (they give you a near lifetime supply of plugs)

2. Having the kit almost promises you'll never need it.

But do stand at the ready if you see a fellow motorcyclist in need. Karma works.

Edited by Tri750

largeminikit2.jpg

Another vote for Nealey! Heck it was on THIS site a few years back that I was turned on to them. Work like a charm!

Two votes for Nealey is good enough for me; adding to my Christmas gift list. Great write up, especially the part about using stomach for leverage. I have more stomach available than I did 50 years ago...

One more vote for the Nealey.

I've been carrying a Nealey kit for several years, without needing it and without renewing anything in it. Is there some part of it with an "expiration date"?

I've been carrying a Nealey kit for several years, without needing it and without renewing anything in it. Is there some part of it with an "expiration date"?

The saturated strings dry out after a while and become much less effective. I change mine out every year or so.

Doug

Add one of these PVC T's to whatever kit you buy...it makes using the tool so much easier to push through the hole.. For $.45 you will be glad you did as shoving that screwdriver handle with string through the hole is harder that you think.

+1 on nealy especially customer service.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-3-4-in-Schedule-40-PVC-Tee-C401-007/100343610

WOW ... thanks! Good idea! I also carry a small razor knife to cut them and a small file to ream out the puncture if not that big.

Dave_zoom_zoom

One more vote for the Nealey.

I've just placed my order with Matt. He's a real pleasure to deal with and mentioned if there were a group order placed from our organization he would do his best to give us all a discount. :grin:

He's a very nice man!

Dave

PS His standard price is really good without the discount!

Edited by Dave_zoom_zoom

largeminikit2.jpg

Another vote for Nealey! Heck it was on THIS site a few years back that I was turned on to them. Work like a charm!

+1

Tire repair kits? I never have tire problems do I? :grin:

Tire pressure monitors and a good tire kit and small air compressor a must on every bike not trailered to your destination! :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...
Add one of these PVC T's to whatever kit you buy...it makes using the tool so much easier to push through the hole.. For $.45 you will be glad you did as shoving that screwdriver handle with string through the hole is harder that you think.

LOL ... I finally got to Home Depot and remembered to pick up one of these for each bike. Dang things are up to $.59 now! HA! Inflation I guess. But a good investment nonetheless.

As always another good tip from this site

LOL ... I finally got to Home Depot and remembered to pick up one of these for each bike. Dang things are up to $.59 now! HA! Inflation I guess. But a good investment nonetheless.

As always another good tip from this site

I see what you did there ...

• 3 months later...

If anyone needs one of these PVC T connectors I have 2 extras that I picked up when I got mine.

Shoot me a PM and they are yours for the small postage.

So here's a question: Does anyone ever bring innertubes, even though they have tubeless tires? I've heard that some folks travelling cross country in remote locales will do this for the eventual irreparable damage. Can you even fit an innertube's valve stem through a tubeless stem hole in the rim?

Danny caddyshack Noonan
So here's a question: Does anyone ever bring innertubes, even though they have tubeless tires? I've heard that some folks travelling cross country in remote locales will do this for the eventual irreparable damage. Can you even fit an innertube's valve stem through a tubeless stem hole in the rim?

:lurk:

Never tried for tubeless, but I always packed a front innertube dualsporting since it'll stretch into the space for the rear.....most of the time.

From their website: "WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE OF THE REPAIRS? We package the kit in a polyethylene tube. It keeps the repairs clean and dry so they will be good for years."

"Years". Whatever that means...