IGNORED

Front Axle Hex Size?

dduelin

What is the size of the tool required to remove the front axle?

Morning dduelin

It's 22mm --

22mm is .866" & 7/8" is .875"-- that is only .009" larger so on the stamped axle hex of the BMW 1200RT a long 7/8" OD

connector nut (Home Depot), or 7/8" rear hex of a deep socket (like some spark plug sockets) check your tool box, or a 7/8" OD

nut tightly screwed on a 7/8" hex head bolt will all work to remove the 1200RT front axle & allow a torque wrench to be used

at reassembly.

Thanks D.R.

I saw the post in the archived sticky on maintenance items about using a 7/8" bolt and nut(s) but did not quite understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks D.R.

I saw the post in the archived sticky on maintenance items about using a 7/8" bolt and nut(s) but did not quite understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Afternoon dduelin

A very cheap & effective (small & easy to carry) axle removal tool is a 7/8" OD coupling nut from Home Depot (about $2.16). If you drill holes through the flats you can just stick a screwdriver though the holes to remove the axle (works great & very easy to pack).

wpdcH10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple trips to Home Depot then Lowes for threaded rod union nuts and 7/8" nut/bolts that did not fit into the axle I went back to Lowes with my caliper. I could not find anything that measured at or slightly less than 22 mm. I'm glad that some have found the low budget solution at the hardware store but I did not. The unions are a tad too large as are common 7/8" nuts. I guess I needed the 'uncommon' ones.

I ended up buying the $20 tool at Cycle Gear and at the point of sale remembered the scene in Grand Torino when Kowalski tells the kid next door "even a bonehead like you can understand that a man acquires a garage full of tools like these over 50 years". Now I have one more tool someone can borrow.

Spark plug socket reversed, likely already have one in the tool box, I've been using one for 107k miles/tire changes. I use an extension on the socket wrench and can torque wrench if necessary, but my right arm is fairly calibrated ;)