IGNORED

Cleaning the beast

AndyS

Well I have finally got Wethead, and it sits alongside my trusty old Oilhead. I can't help but make comparisons.

Here's one of them. The Oilhead is SO easy to clean in comparison. The Old Oilhead balances so perfectly on the centrestand, so maintenance and washing of the wheels is peachy. The Wethead is SO front heavy

So the question? Washing techniques. Particularly the front wheel and cylinders with the maze of castings and deep finning?

How are you all doing it. General tips,and tricks for the whole of the bike are welcome.

Although the Wethead does sit nose down on the centerstand, I find it easy enough to rotate the front wheel by just pulling up on the spokes at the very front. It does take a little more time than the rear but not by much.

I use BMW branded wheel cleaner - comes in a black, plastic bottle. Just a couple of squirts per section of wheel, a quick wipe, and its done. It really works well!

Well I have finally got Wethead, and it sits alongside my trusty old Oilhead. I can't help but make comparisons.

Here's one of them. The Oilhead is SO easy to clean in comparison. The Old Oilhead balances so perfectly on the centrestand, so maintenance and washing of the wheels is peachy. The Wethead is SO front heavy

So the question? Washing techniques. Particularly the front wheel and cylinders with the maze of castings and deep finning?

How are you all doing it. General tips,and tricks for the whole of the bike are welcome.

Like LIRider said it's easy to turn the front wheel. I add weight to the rear of bike to get the front end off the ground, easy to change out. I find taking the wheels off is easier then my Oilhead was (02R1150RT) . Taking off the body panels is no comparison, you're going to love the Wethead, just watch those tabs...

Congratulation and enjoy! and welcome to the almost dark side : ).

Jay

Where did you get the chopping blocks??

I double-checked both the Touratech and Wunderlich catalogues and couldn't find them! LOL.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Tim

• 1 month later...

So you guys hoik the front wheel off the ground and then spray it with a cleaning substance. Does that easily clean the 'hub' section of the wheel which is quite awkward to get to?

On my 04 R1100S I use a scissors jack with a pad under the engine to slightly lift the front wheel off the ground, then spray on any good wheel cleaner, Amorall, Mother's, etc., then spray off or get a wheel brush from Autogeek that bends to fit into the tight places to save your hands. I also use a brush on the cylinders to clean between the fins and other places. Good Luck

I clean the wheel rim and spokes as best I can. The front hub is too hard to reach. I usually do a better job cleaning the wheels when I replace tires.

Edited by Rob L

While the log approach works under the same principle and is much less expensive, I leave all my gear in the large top case and side bags while cleaning the front wheel. If the gas tank is low on fuel it lifts the front wheel off the ground. I suppose you could put a right sized log in the cases as well which would avoid an unfortunate scuff if a log should tumble off the rack...just remember to offload the wood before heading out on a ride.

So you guys hoik the front wheel off the ground and then spray it with a cleaning substance. Does that easily clean the 'hub' section of the wheel which is quite awkward to get to?

I tend to avoid a lot of the wheel cleaning products as I think they are harsh enough to dull the powder coating over time. Besides, if you are riding no one can really see your dirty hub and if someone should comment about your RT being dirty they are likely that part of the cruiser crowd who spend more time shining than riding and their opinion should be given the appropriate consideration (none).

I tend to avoid a lot of the wheel cleaning products as I think they are harsh enough to dull the powder coating over time. Besides, if you are riding no one can really see your dirty hub and if someone should comment about your RT being dirty they are likely that part of the cruiser crowd who spend more time shining than riding and their opinion should be given the appropriate consideration (none).

+1

Honestly I never let my wheels get that dirty and when they are mucked up I only use Griot's Wheel Cleaner. Not harsh and never ever hurt any of my wheels and works well. Then I hit them with Original Bike Spirits Spray Polish. I DO ride my bikes and in the rain when on tours but clean it each day after my ride whether on a trip or a day ride at home. I have found that if you keep after a bike and never let it get too dirty they stay pretty pristine. But then again I am pretty OCD.

This is my '06 RT when sold last fall .... 10 years old with just under 40K miles.

IMG_1525-XL.jpg

IMG_1526-XL.jpg

IMG_1528-XL.jpg

IMG_1539-XL.jpg

Hi Ed. The point is, the wheels on the 1100/1150/Hexhead/Camhead are all easy-peasy to clean and keep clean, however the Wethead wheels are a nightmare to clean because of all the webs and internal finish.If my Wethead looks as tidy as my Oilhead is after 14 years I will be well pleased. However, I think it is going to take a LOT more effort to do so.

Hi Ed. The point is, the wheels on the 1100/1150/Hexhead/Camhead are all easy-peasy to clean and keep clean, however the Wethead wheels are a nightmare to clean because of all the webs and internal finish.If my Wethead looks as tidy as my Oilhead is after 14 years I will be well pleased. However, I think it is going to take a LOT more effort to do so.

Hmmm ... I guess I have not noticed the RTW wheels being tougher to clean. My RTW has 8,000 miles on it and the wheels look pretty pristine. I have not noticed any increased difficulty in keeping them tidy. But I think the same theory follows ... .if you never let them get real cruddy then they will be easier to keep nice. That is just my process and one reason why it is nice to buy a "new" bike when you can.

I do recall my first BMW, an R1100RT, that I loved but it had those uncoated wheels that were a real pain to get clean. The brake dust would just smear and not come off. The best product I found for those hard to clean wheels was S-100 Wheel Cleaning Gel. It worked like a champ.

419c979a3hL.jpg

One thing that bothers me about using chemicals and waxes on motorcycle wheels.........The brake rotors also end up with these chemicals on them and the contamination will be transferred to the pads and may effect braking. If I clean my wheels with any chemical I usually wipe the rotors with Brake Clean aerosol before riding. Maybe its not necessary, but I do it anyway.

One thing that bothers me about using chemicals and waxes on motorcycle wheels.........The brake rotors also end up with these chemicals on them and the contamination will be transferred to the pads and may effect braking. If I clean my wheels with any chemical I usually wipe the rotors with Brake Clean aerosol before riding. Maybe its not necessary, but I do it anyway.

I never really worry about that too much but I DO try and keep as much off the rotors as I can.

You want to really have some fun getting the front wheel off the ground to spin the front wheel for any reason try an FJR some time. We're talking about a heavy front end as in REAL HEAVY! You'll come to appreciate your wethead for sure, no doubt.