Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC

Indy Dave

I'm IN! Arriving Wednesday.

Bud Thornton

Charlotte, NC

2016 R1200RT

2005 R1200RT (sold)

1995 K1100LT (sold)

All right Bud! STARTing on your RTW :clap::bike: Congrats on the new bike.

Nice n Easy Rider

I hope to be able to make this one since I missed both the UN and the FART. My wife was diagnosed in April with primary progressive MS. It only occurs in about 10% of the MS cases and occurs later in life. Unlike the relapsing-remitting form of MS, this one steadily gets worse with no periods of improvement. She had been losing the use of her left leg for several years but the doctors were unable to diagnose the problem. Finally a neurologist realized it wasn't muscles or orthopedic but the nerves from her spine and the MRI showed the tell-tale lesions. There was no drug known to affect this type of MS but one was approved several weeks before her diagnosis. It is only known to slow the progression of disease, not stop it so we won't really know if it is working since we don't know what the rate of progression would be without it.

I've been busy trying to make the house manageable (rollators on both floors and a chair-lift from the 1st to 2nd). We've worked with a builder drawing up plans for a single-level, living-in-place home and are finalizing the deal for a lot to put it on. Right now my wife isn't comfortable with me being away since if she falls (which has happened) it can be very difficult for her to get back up. So I'll need to see if I can find someone to stay with her while I'm at the START. I also need to work on her new-found anxiety of what will happen to her if something should happen to me.

So I've missed seeing you all and hope to see you in April. In the meantime, hope everyone has great holidays. Stay safe.

George, sorry to learn of troubling issues you and your wife are facing. Sounds like you're putting your best foot forward and tackling complicated needs and issues head on. Certainly you have your hands full. We're all hoping the new medication is successful in dramatically slowing or halting the progression of MS.

We're also hoping that by April, you'll be able to slip away for some long overdue and much needed you-time and a few days of riding and time spent with friends can be re-energizing and invigorating as anything - legal or otherwise.

Best Wishes.

George, sorry to learn of troubling issues you and your wife are facing. Sounds like you're putting your best foot forward and tackling complicated needs and issues head on. Certainly you have your hands full. We're all hoping the new medication is successful in dramatically slowing or halting the progression of MS.

We're also hoping that by April, you'll be able to slip away for some long overdue and much needed you-time and a few days of riding and time spent with friends can be re-energizing and invigorating as anything - legal or otherwise.

Best Wishes.

George - I think Dave speaks for all of us! Every time I think I have two much on my plate to handle I hear of situations like yours and realized once again that "life is wonderful but not always easy"! Sure hope we get to see you in April!

George,

Sorry to hear about your wife's MS diagnosis.

Health can be a fickle commodity.

Beth and I send positive energy and support to you and your family.

Best wishes.

I took tons of crap from my Sigma Chi and TKE room mates when I was doing Calculus homework on bar night. :) Of course, they got jobs out of college stocking shelves as a rep for a potato chip company. lol.

And now after all these years, you've finally entered the potato potato trade as well. See, hard work and following your dreams pays off.

Edited by steveknapp
I took tons of crap from my Sigma Chi and TKE room mates when I was doing Calculus homework on bar night. :) Of course, they got jobs out of college stocking shelves as a rep for a potato chip company. lol.

And now after all these years, you've finally entered the potato potato trade as well. See, hard work and following your dreams pays off.

:rofl:

Lone_RT_rider

Man, that was a reach. Did you stretch after that? You know, to avoid injury?

Man, that was a reach. Did you stretch after that? You know, to avoid injury?

DYNAmic flexibility? No man, not in soft tales like the one you told.

Edited by steveknapp

George, so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. Sounds like you're doing everything possible to make the best of a tough situation. Odds can be beaten and outcomes improved with love, faith and a little hard work!

This isn't the most prayin' community, but you and your family will be in my prayers nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably out, as we are making plans for a 7-day tour of Tuscany 7-day tour of Tuscany. We plan to drive up to Delaware, leave the car at my mother's place, then fly out of Philadelphia, leaving April 29, returning ~May 15. I don't want to burden neighbors with cat-sitting for 2 separate back-to-back trips, so START 2018 is out.

Rogera - Great - we'l put you on the hopeful list and look for your confirmation after the New Year. :lurk:

Sheldon - I'm encouraged by your trip to Tuscana! Last Fall you were busy, yet we had the good fortune of running into you and your wife. We'll hope for the same outcome this year, at the least :thumbsup:

Penciled this one in. It depends on my travel schedule that month, but I am going to try to finally get out to see what all the fuss is about. :-)

Lone_RT_rider
Penciled this one in. It depends on my travel schedule that month, but I am going to try to finally get out to see what all the fuss is about. :-)

I hope you can make it this time. I owe you at least one beer. :)

Room reserved. I might actually arrive START .

Fix it! :wave: Hope you make it this year Mark!

Edited by workin' them angels

Greg, you know this isn't in TX, right?

Hell, if he's in then I'm in....

Ah, dang.

Probably out, as we are making plans for a 7-day tour of Tuscany 7-day tour of Tuscany. We plan to drive up to Delaware, leave the car at my mother's place, then fly out of Philadelphia, leaving April 29, returning ~May 15. I don't want to burden neighbors with cat-sitting for 2 separate back-to-back trips, so START 2018 is out.

Bob, Is it because I threatened to show up again this year?

Ah, dang.

Come on along, I'll buy you breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider
Set your expectations on low.

:)

Don't mind Chris. He just tries to keep his human contact time down to an absolute minimum. There are quite a few friendly people on this board that love to conversate and tell lies about their riding after being out on the road all day, though I am not one of them. lol

Shawn

There are quite a few friendly people on this board that love to conversate and tell lies about their riding after being out on the road all day, though I am not one of them. lol

Shawn

It would not take much time in the parking lot for one to find a true originator of the parking lot lies...You will be there won't you Shawn :rofl:

Lone_RT_rider
There are quite a few friendly people on this board that love to conversate and tell lies about their riding after being out on the road all day, though I am not one of them. lol

Shawn

It would not take much time in the parking lot for one to find a true originator of the parking lot lies...You will be there won't you Shawn :rofl:

With my new location, I might not come in from playing on the roads until long after these conversations stop. lol :) I'm positive that you'll keep the conversation rolling for me though. ;)

Got a "revised" PTO accrual schedule via email today at work. Turns out I'm getting an extra week of vacation from here on out......WooHoo! I already promised myself I would spend it on 2-wheels. Can't wait to knock the rust off

wELP, I guess I'm gonna hafta check this out.

I haven't been on the board for quite a while so this whole trip is news to me.

Let me see if I can't make this happen.

Hmmmm.....the possibilities...

Lone_RT_rider
Got a "revised" PTO accrual schedule via email today at work. Turns out I'm getting an extra week of vacation from here on out......WooHoo! I already promised myself I would spend it on 2-wheels. Can't wait to knock the rust off

Awesome! I owe you a beer for missing you in York PA. It will be good to see you again.

Bone, when did you move to Indiana? Jeese sir...I had no idea. I hope you can make it too. I'll be riding through there on my way to meet a riding friend in Lexington, KY. Whatcha thinking sir?

Shawn

wELP, I guess I'm gonna hafta check this out.

I haven't been on the board for quite a while so this whole trip is news to me.

Would be good to see your mug again!

Room is booked. Arriving Friday. May have to order an RDL for the RS - they have the little wings version for sport bikes. :-)

One question - do they have pie out there?

164898006.jpg

I expect to be able to join up. I live close enough, that I will be 'commuting'. I live just on the other side of Boone. I also have a trailer and tools close by...just in case. Sounds like fun.

LeBill

In on Wednesday via Charlotte, room booked for now :)

Awe hell, there goes the neighborhood. ;)

It gets worse Shawn, I will be joining him.

Lone_RT_rider

Oh Bloody hell......

:facepalm::dontknow::rofl:

Oh Bloody hell......

:facepalm::dontknow::rofl:

:rofl::wave: