IGNORED

New noise

RPG

I got to sneak out a bit yesterday for an early morning ride.

It was a blessing because this time of year in Motown usually gives us 15F temps and another miserable afternoon, listening to the inept Lions, attempting mediocrity.

The bike is a '04RT with 99k and has always been super quiet in terms of mechanical noises.

However, this day I rode without my earplugs and noticed a very slight, rattle when increasing rpm, when riding at a steady speed.

So riding along at say, 45mph, 4th gear, steady RPM, start to increase speed slowly and when rotating the throttle to go to 50mph, I hear it. As soon as I level off, it's gone.

Could this be something related to the throttle bodies? I remember reading about the throttle plate shafts (bushing. bearings), maybe exhibiting some wear, that might cause this?

Thanks,

RPG

However, this day I rode without my earplugs...

There is your problem. :grin:

I always rode my 96 RT with earbuds, until one day I left them out and was sure I had climbed on a cement mixer by mistake. Seriously, RT of that vintage are really quite noisy with the noise coming from any number of places. The throttle body shafts do wear and can get pretty sloppy, but I would think that picking out noise emanating from that locale while ride would be tough. Any slop will be easy to see and feel next time you have the tupperware off.

thanks Eddd,

True. And in reality, I'm sure it's been there for awhile, but wearing earplugs nearly 99% of the time, will mask most noises.

I'll know more when I get the plastic off.

RPG

I got to sneak out a bit yesterday for an early morning ride.

It was a blessing because this time of year in Motown usually gives us 15F temps and another miserable afternoon, listening to the inept Lions, attempting mediocrity.

The bike is a '04RT with 99k and has always been super quiet in terms of mechanical noises.

However, this day I rode without my earplugs and noticed a very slight, rattle when increasing rpm, when riding at a steady speed.

So riding along at say, 45mph, 4th gear, steady RPM, start to increase speed slowly and when rotating the throttle to go to 50mph, I hear it. As soon as I level off, it's gone.

Could this be something related to the throttle bodies? I remember reading about the throttle plate shafts (bushing. bearings), maybe exhibiting some wear, that might cause this?

Thanks,

RPG

Afternoon Rock

As mentioned it has probably been there for while. After all you are sitting right on top of the engine.

Go open the hood on your 100K car then listen to the engine??

In any case it might be some cam chain noise (usually the front chain at your mileage)--nothing to worry about.

Or the warm weather & Michigan winter gasoline (blended for cold starting not knock resistance)-- Sometimes that will knock a bit during accel in the older (Non Knock Sensor Equipped Engines) on a warm day.

Thanks D.R. I'll pop the hood over the weekend.

I tend to think it's the throttle shafts only because of the super light load I was applying to the engine at the time. But I'll know more this weekend.

Gracias,

Rick

Thanks D.R. I'll pop the hood over the weekend.

I tend to think it's the throttle shafts only because of the super light load I was applying to the engine at the time. But I'll know more this weekend.

Rick

Rick, if it's sloppy throttle bodies, there's a rebuild kit for that. Cata Dan in Romania sells it. I think Beemer Boneyard may be reselling the kit too. It's an easy install and will quiet them down and make syncing them easier.

Hi Mike,

I'll be looking under the hood this weekend to investigate. I'm totally comfortable with rebuilding the TB's if needed, so thanks for the info.

RPG

Noises previously unnoticed = riding without earplugs.

And the other thing that accentuates the racket is a touring windscreen, 'cos it reflects back up from the motor and transmission into your face all the various grunts, whines, rattles, graunches and roars that a boxer-engined bike makes as a matter of course.

The solution :

Go out again and ride with earplugs. And I can recommend Cat Dan.