IGNORED

Starter Issues - 2008 R1200RT

Dimond

My RT has some starter issues. My battery reads from 12.2 to 12.8 volts but when I hit the starter button it gives a faint click, then the screen goes blank, and an 'EWS' is briefly displayed. Tried a NEW battery at 12.8 volts and the solenoid atop the starter goes CLICK-CLICK-CLICK at about half second intervals (it does not turn over) and an ENGINE symbol appears on the display. When I jump it with my Li-Ion batter (2.6V) tthe starter turns - but very sluggishly - and then it starts. I have all the plastic etc off on the left side and am ready for the NEXT diagnostic step to ascertain if it is a bad starter - or something else. Problem is I don't know what to check next? Suggestions? It is now a simple matter fro me to get the starter off the engine (loosen 2 bolts) but not sure what to check after that?

The battery terminals/connections are clean and sanded.. A buddy told me to check the 'ground' connection coming off the battery where it is connected to the frame; however, I see where the battery ground cable goes into the harness running up the left side but don't know where it comes out and gets bolted the frame (maybe under the gas tank?). . Not sure how much more I need to take off the bike to see this connection - or if there even is a connection to the frame. Suggestions on this matter?

Thanks in advance!

My RT has some starter issues. My battery reads from 12.2 to 12.8 volts but when I hit the starter button it gives a faint click, then the screen goes blank, and an 'EWS' is briefly displayed. Tried a NEW battery at 12.8 volts and the solenoid atop the starter goes CLICK-CLICK-CLICK at about half second intervals (it does not turn over) and an ENGINE symbol appears on the display. When I jump it with my Li-Ion batter (2.6V) tthe starter turns - but very sluggishly - and then it starts. I have all the plastic etc off on the left side and am ready for the NEXT diagnostic step to ascertain if it is a bad starter - or something else. Problem is I don't know what to check next? Suggestions? It is now a simple matter fro me to get the starter off the engine (loosen 2 bolts) but not sure what to check after that?

The battery terminals/connections are clean and sanded.. A buddy told me to check the 'ground' connection coming off the battery where it is connected to the frame; however, I see where the battery ground cable goes into the harness running up the left side but don't know where it comes out and gets bolted the frame (maybe under the gas tank?). . Not sure how much more I need to take off the bike to see this connection - or if there even is a connection to the frame. Suggestions on this matter?

Thanks in advance!

Evening Dimond

Difficult to tell much without more info. It sounds like a battery issue from the info furnished. Batteries can have a good static (no load) voltage but drop to nothing during cranking if sulfated or failing.

12.2 volts is a pretty darn dead battery.

We need to know the battery voltage when you try to crank the engine? (this should be your next step)- If over 10.5 volts then you have other issues, if below 10.5v when you try cranking it then look at the battery first (try jumping from a non running automobile)

To check the battery cables, cable attachments just do a voltage drop across the cables -- for (+) cable put voltmeter on 20v dc scale the put red probe on battery (+) post (not the cable end but the actual battery post) & put black probe on big cable stud on starter. Then try cranking the engine (anything over .5 volt drop suspect a cable problem or connection issue.

For (-) cable put voltmeter on 20v dc scale the put black probe on battery (-) post (not the cable end but the actual battery post) & put the red probe on a CLEAN paint free spot on the engine block. Then try cranking the engine (anything over .5 volt drop suspect a cable problem or connection issue.

One thing I should point out is that if it turns out to be the starter, it is really not a very difficult job to replace it. I have had my starter out a number of times to clean it due to the run on issue that they develop. I have found also that if you have to replace your battery, I would go with a PC Odyssey PC 680. The last one I replaced lasted about 7 years and it was great.

Difficult to tell much without more info. It sounds like a battery issue ......

Ran two tests today - one with OLD battery (the one in my bike for about 3 years now) and a NEW battery.

OLD BATTERY

Charged it to 13.3V. Turned on key and voltage down to 12.9V. Pushed start button and got one 'click' sound from the starter relay. Voltage dropped to 6V and after about a minute the battery recovered to 12.5V. I think that this battery is toast and therefore I put in a new one.

NEW BATTERY

Charged to 13.6V. With key on drops to 12.6V. Hit the start button and battery voltage drops in the 11s and solenoid goes click-click-click repeatedly.but engine does not turn over. (-) voltage cable test shows a drop in in 0.2 to 0.5 range. Not so sure i used the correct starter terminal for the (+) cable test (used the terminal post CLOSEST to the centerline of bike) and the readings jumped around a bit. Voltage drop from starter to positive terminal about 1 volt - plus or minus. Had a lot of difficulty seeing the connections under the solenoid protective shroud.

NEXT STEPS

I am going to pull the starter today and check the connections - maybe run the (+) test again - maybe not. Any tests I can perform on the starter to see if relay or motor or anything else is bad? I plan to install a USED starter when it arrives tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks!

Difficult to tell much without more info. It sounds like a battery issue ......

Ran two tests today - one with OLD battery (the one in my bike for about 3 years now) and a NEW battery.

OLD BATTERY

Charged it to 13.3V. Turned on key and voltage down to 12.9V. Pushed start button and got one 'click' sound from the starter relay. Voltage dropped to 6V and after about a minute the battery recovered to 12.5V. I think that this battery is toast and therefore I put in a new one.

NEW BATTERY

Charged to 13.6V. With key on drops to 12.6V. Hit the start button and battery voltage drops in the 11s and solenoid goes click-click-click repeatedly.but engine does not turn over. (-) voltage cable test shows a drop in in 0.2 to 0.5 range. Not so sure i used the correct starter terminal for the (+) cable test (used the terminal post CLOSEST to the centerline of bike) and the readings jumped around a bit. Voltage drop from starter to positive terminal about 1 volt - plus or minus. Had a lot of difficulty seeing the connections under the solenoid protective shroud.

NEXT STEPS

I am going to pull the starter today and check the connections - maybe run the (+) test again - maybe not. Any tests I can perform on the starter to see if relay or motor or anything else is bad? I plan to install a USED starter when it arrives tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks!

Afternoon Dimond

To see what starter terminal to use click on link below.

BF18fVh.jpg?1