Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1002293 - 12/13/17 01:03 AM Re: My aching shoulder [Re: fastlarry]  
Whip Offline
Whip  Offline

San Antonio, TX
I had an aching shoulder for three months that never seemed to get better so I went to the local sports doc in Salida after Xrays and then MRI he said I had a torn rotator and the surgery/recovery was nuts.

A friend suggested acupuncture... four visits later 90% of my discomfort is gone and I am back in the gym weight lifting.

YMMV

Whip

I am their leader, which way did they go?
#1002542 - 12/20/17 04:57 AM Re: My aching shoulder [Re: fastlarry]  
fastlarry Offline
fastlarry  Offline

Southern Ohio
Well, I got the MRI and results handed to me today. Wasn't such a bad prognosis. The ortho doc said I have a partially torn rotator cuff, but not so damaged to explain the pain I get. He also found some particles in the shoulder joint, cartilage or bone he couldn't determine. He feels these lodge in the moving parts of the joint and cause the "catch" I described to him. These can be short painful episodes or they can cause swelling and enduring pain, depending what I am doing. Suggested these can be fished out of there with relative non-invasive surgery with a short recovery. Guess I'll get it done in the dead of winter to be ready for springtime activities. Thanks for your posts.

Larry
2016 BMW R1200RT
#1002558 - 12/20/17 04:54 PM Re: My aching shoulder [Re: fastlarry]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted by fastlarry
Well, I got the MRI and results handed to me today. Wasn't such a bad prognosis. The ortho doc said I have a partially torn rotator cuff, but not so damaged to explain the pain I get. He also found some particles in the shoulder joint, cartilage or bone he couldn't determine. He feels these lodge in the moving parts of the joint and cause the "catch" I described to him. These can be short painful episodes or they can cause swelling and enduring pain, depending what I am doing. Suggested these can be fished out of there with relative non-invasive surgery with a short recovery. Guess I'll get it done in the dead of winter to be ready for springtime activities. Thanks for your posts.

For sure the quality of life issue says to have the procedure to clean out the loose crap in the joint as sharp and/or enduring pain is no way to live and be happy. Also, long term use of products like Advil is not all that good for you either. Will the Doc repair the rotator, or did he recommend rest and PT?

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1002567 - 12/20/17 08:07 PM Re: My aching shoulder [Re: fastlarry]  
Green RT Offline
Green RT  Offline

Guadalajara, México
Originally Posted by fastlarry

Every case is different, so take this with a large grain of salt. I had a shoulder bothering me for a year or more. I could not really lift that arm at all although it was pretty good for other activities like riding or carrying things in that hand. I finally had an MRI and was told I had a tear in the supraspinatus muscle or tendon, don't remember which now. It is part of the rotator cuff. He gave me a steroid shot which provided some short term relief. After that I just waited and it took about two or three years total but finally went away on its own.

Will

2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue (current)
1999 R1100RT Tundra Green
1987 R100RT Grey
1970 R60/5 Black w/white pin stripes
196? Honda 305 Super Hawk
195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped
#1002586 - 12/21/17 04:43 AM Re: My aching shoulder [Re: Paul De]  
fastlarry Offline
fastlarry  Offline

Southern Ohio
He thought the tear was minor and didn't need repair, considering the time to recoup from such a procedure and therapy, too.

Larry
2016 BMW R1200RT
Page 2 of 2 1 2