Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1001922 - 12/04/17 01:34 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: TestPilot]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Good points Pat. That is one reason I was so surprised when we were in VT last summer that we stumbled on Franks BMW in Essex Junction.

Old style dealership. I bought a shirt from them because they were so friendly and enjoyed talking bikes. Not sure how they continue to stay in business but when asked they said they were doing fine.

http://www.franksmotorcyclesales.com/

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#1001927 - 12/04/17 02:36 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: TestPilot]  
realshelby Online
realshelby  Online

Houston, Tx
BMW dealers don't sell ATV's ( known as "4 wheelers" back in my day!). BMW motorcycle dealers might be able to survive on their own, or not, but most of the Japanese dealers need more than motorcycle business to survive.

I can tell you for a fact that many Motorcycle dealers would be out of business if they relied on motorcycle sales and repair only for income. ATV's, Jet Ski's, kept many in business. It costs a LOT of money to operate a dealership. Costs for training and meeting Dealer facility standards would make many here swallow very hard.......

#1001929 - 12/04/17 02:46 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: TestPilot]  
CruisinCruzan Offline
CruisinCruzan  Offline

Central NY State
Learned something from this thread, I wasn’t aware that a dealer had opened in the Buffalo area. I’ll have to check it out next spring

Ute's chauffeur
Amici et Iter Super Omnia
#1001933 - 12/04/17 03:20 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: CruisinCruzan]  
TestPilot Offline
TestPilot  Offline

Williamsville, NY
Originally Posted by CruisinCruzan
Learned something from this thread, I wasn’t aware that a dealer had opened in the Buffalo area. I’ll have to check it out next spring

Towne BMW. holder of the BMW auto franchise, became a motorcycle dealer earlier this year. The dealership is still a work in progress, as Towne is rebuilding their showroom and service area to accommodate both cars and motorcycles.

Karl
2007 R1200ST
#1002020 - 12/06/17 06:43 AM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: realshelby]  
Red Offline
Red  Offline

Burns, OR
The BMW dealer had his franchise yanked when he refused to quit selling snowmobiles. What werks in Bavaria may not work in North America.

Red,
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
#1002023 - 12/06/17 01:30 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: Bud]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by GordonB
And here we are in So California with 8 dealers within 50 miles of each other, extend into San Diego and add 2 more.

Yup, with the population of the state being >12% of total US population, it is no surprise that there are more dealers concentrated in CA.

California, by default of its population, controls much of what can be sold in the US. For instance, CARB rules against two stroke engines caused the demise of them in the US.

From an article in

Bloomburg

"Ting isn’t the first official from the state with the largest market for new vehicle sales in the U.S. to openly consider a ban on internal-combustion engines. The topic has been discussed at the California Air Resources Board, the state’s powerful air quality regulator, after Governor Jerry Brown showed interest in similar moves by other countries, including China."

I won't live long enough to see this come into effect, if, in fact, the bill gets passed. old

95% of an RT.

#1002024 - 12/06/17 01:39 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: TestPilot]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
The BMW dealership here in Milwaukee changed hands from an multi brand shop owner (Honda,BMW,Triumph). This dealer had BMW going back to the 1960's and did a good job supporting BMW sold a lot of them. In fact here in SE Wisconsin BMW motorcycles are over represented based on national market share numbers. But it wasn't enough. The first step was BMW forced the dealer to put BMW into its own space which fortunately there was in an available building one block from their main shop building. Unfortunately, as a stand alone it couldn't survive and they sold BMW bundled with their Triumph franchises to a family with multiple auto dealerships (none sold BMW cars). The new ownership set up a new location where they sell BMW, Triumph and Zero. It is run a lot more like a car dealership which is neither good or bad, just different. But in reality one of the family members has a love for motorcycles and I suspect the cycle dealership is able to survive only by the fact that the ownership has significant income coming from the automobile part of their businesses. Prices went up some, particularly for parts, and there is very little in third party accessories on display, but I appreciate having a local dealer and buy my OEM stuff from them.

What I am expecting is that BMW may, by design or unintended consequences, force the motorcycles under BMW auto dealer roofs as you see in the rest of the world. I can see the day coming that an old time biker like me showing up in greased up jeans and a t-shirt chasing a part is made to go through the back door so as to not frighten the more posh car drivers waiting for their Bimmer to be serviced!

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1002027 - 12/06/17 02:21 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: TestPilot]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Gateway BMW in St. Louis is stand alone and seems to be doing very well. Their service bays are full, offer to ride any bike whenever I show up to buy parts. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Lots of accessories. Have a couple of Open House events during the year. Have a good relationship with the local BMW MOA club. Lots of used inventory.

Are they making much money? Who can tell.

But it's a pleasure to visit and talk motorcycles, sit on new models, dream a little and feel like they are happy to see all of their customers. It's not a palace by any means. In a small strip with a pest control business on the other end.

Another small place is GrassRoots in Cape Girardeau, MO. They too seem to be doing well from a pretty small location.

Happy to have more than one choice available here in the Midwurst. grin

95% of an RT.

#1002030 - 12/06/17 02:45 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: Bud]  
mrzoom Offline
mrzoom  Offline

Tulsa, OK
The stand alone BMW dealer here in Tulsa closed due to retirement of owner. They were only a BMW dealer for a few years and were a Big Dog shop before.
The Honda, Indian, Polaris, used Harley and probly farm machinery store bought them.
Now the BMW bikes and accessories are shoved in a corner of the Indian area. I don't know what plans they have but the mothership
will not be happy with the way the BMWs are displayed as of now. Time will tell if BMW remains there.
The only other BMW shop in the state is in OKC and is a multi line store.
Luckily I am only a 100 miles from Bentonville and a real nice old time shop. Reminds me of the Kawasaki shop I part timed at in the 70's.
Nice selection of bikes parts and gear. They too have had differences with the official BMW policy.

MrZoom
2013 RT
The rest are history
If everything is under control your not going fast enough!!!
#1002043 - 12/06/17 08:57 PM Re: Dealership Closing [Re: Bud]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by Bud
Gateway BMW in St. Louis is stand alone and seems to be doing very well. Their service bays are full, offer to ride any bike whenever I show up to buy parts. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Lots of accessories. Have a couple of Open House events during the year. Have a good relationship with the local BMW MOA club. Lots of used inventory.

Are they making much money? Who can tell.

But it's a pleasure to visit and talk motorcycles, sit on new models, dream a little and feel like they are happy to see all of their customers. It's not a palace by any means. In a small strip with a pest control business on the other end.

Another small place is GrassRoots in Cape Girardeau, MO. They too seem to be doing well from a pretty small location.

Happy to have more than one choice available here in the Midwurst. grin

Most folks in the motorcycle industry are not in it for the money but rather because it is their passion. Hence the reason I always do my best to support my local dealer who luckily is really great.

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4