IGNORED

2017 Xmas wish List

Paul De

OK my wife wants me to give her ideas for Xmas gifts and soon to follow b-day. While I would love a new HP-4 race to be under the tree that is not such a realistic ask, so I'm looking for stuff that would be less than $200. Since I have a newish R1200RT Wethead, I'm posting here. Like the majority of BMW riders the stuff I'm more drawn to adhere to the form follows function approach to acessories, but am not totally opposed to accessories that do nothing more than improve the aesthetics of my ride, Currently I tend to do day rides but have on my list to do a long trip in the next year after I tell boss man I aint working here no more.

Already on my list

Haynes manual

Werks Quiet Ride std height windshield (although that breaks the $200 spend limit a little)

To help break my farkel block, I ask this question; What is on your wethead Xmas wish list?

I keep hearing good things (lots of You Tube videos too) about the Knipex Pliers Wrench so it went on my wish list this year. A nice-thing-to-have rather than a necessity, pricey enough that I would not buy it for myself, not so expensive that I can't forget the money all comes out the same pot, so good for the gift list. If don't I ask for something, I end up with something I really don't want. If I like the pliers, I might ask for a different size next year, or maybe their Cobra pliers.

Paul, just stop at the Werks shield. You won't be sorry.

Little stuff gives him more to open. I think he planned to buy the Werks for himself before spring anyway. :revit:

Like the majority of BMW riders the stuff I'm more drawn to adhere to the form follows function approach to acessories, but am not totally opposed to accessories that do nothing more than improve the aesthetics of my ride

So, I guess this means the chrome ape hanger bars are out?

The official BMW shop manual DVD is about $150, but I had to wait a couple of months to get mine, so might not make a good gift.

Have you shopped the full Aerostich catalog? They've got lots of little stuff that you may or may not find useful. Some of it is pretty funny.

If you don't already have them, I'd recommend the following books:

Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough

More Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough

Street Strategies by David Hough

A Twist of the Wrist, Volumes I and II, by Keith Code

I keep hearing good things (lots of You Tube videos too) about the Knipex Pliers Wrench so it went on my wish list this year. A nice-thing-to-have rather than a necessity, pricey enough that I would not buy it for myself, not so expensive that I can't forget the money all comes out the same pot, so good for the gift list. If don't I ask for something, I end up with something I really don't want. If I like the pliers, I might ask for a different size next year, or maybe their Cobra pliers.

First I have seen these. They are very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I have 3 sizes of the Knipex pliers https://tinyurl.com/y7ss7rqc. They ROCK, the small ones would be the first I'd buy https://tinyurl.com/yc2q68hx it does about everything.

If you don't have heated gear I'd consider, it will extend you season.

Jay

Edited by strataj

Machine Moto front fender extender...will keep your engine significantly cleaner and no holes to drill. Side stand enlarger. I like the one from Wunderlich. Hyperlites for additional rear visibility. Not sure what you call them, but Effbee can weigh in...reflector coverage for your bags...had them on last 3 bikes and would not ride at night without them... awesome product.

First I have seen these. They are very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I have been using the Cobra version for my work for over 20 years. I used to be able to get them at Sears or AC supply houses.

Great tool available in lots of sizes. I can highly recommend them.

Machine Moto front fender extender...will keep your engine significantly cleaner and no holes to drill. Side stand enlarger. I like the one from Wunderlich. Hyperlites for additional rear visibility. Not sure what you call them, but Effbee can weigh in...reflector coverage for your bags...had them on last 3 bikes and would not ride at night without them... awesome product.

I installed the Machine Motor front fender and like the clean look it provides.

Also Effbee's reflective kit is easy to install and does the trick in providing extra conspicuous when parking in the dark or if the taillight ever goes out. Cheap insurance.

Second the MaM Fender Extender! Have them on both my BMW's and love it.

Some other ideas if you don't already have:

Leatherman Wave multi tool with added bit kit.

Give Tank Lock Tank Bag

LD Comforts Riding Shorts

Box of your favorite foamy ear plugs

Tire inflator

EZ Pass Holder if you live anywhere where it is used

Base layer - I like the Ice Breaker Merino Wool but there are lots of choices

My kids have already committed their Christmas presents to me so I had to buy my own MaM Fender Extender this morning. I hadn't seen it before (or I forgot). Great suggestion.

My kids have already committed their Christmas presents to me so I had to buy my own MaM Fender Extender this morning. I hadn't seen it before (or I forgot). Great suggestion.

It is extremely well made and fits like a champ. You may also look into the cylinder head guards. I have them as well and really like them.

Thanks for all the input.

That extended front fended farkel was a must add item and is already on this RT. Learned this is a needed fix with my '99RT after trying to clean tar balls off the header pipes and front motor cover. Why BMW insists on a stubby tailed front fender letting the motor get krudded up is a mystery.

Added to my list so far

knipex pliers

Tire inflator (nails seem to find my tires too frequently)

Grip Buddies

Will put the Werks Quiet Ride windshield on my B-day list

Does no one offer a front engine case cover? Seems like an easy thing to make since it doesn't have to be bullet-proof, just something that's either easy to clean or even disposable. I'd have a heart attack the first time I noticed a ding to the crankcase cover. Fender extender is a definite must-have.

Does no one offer a front engine case cover? Seems like an easy thing to make since it doesn't have to be bullet-proof, just something that's either easy to clean or even disposable. I'd have a heart attack the first time I noticed a ding to the crankcase cover. Fender extender is a definite must-have.

A cover for a cover seems a bit redundant.

I don't understand why any bike comes with short fenders (front and rear) that don't keep the crud of the bike. Why bother at all if they are too short to be effective?

A cover for a cover seems a bit redundant.

I agree. Perhaps I should have said "An inexpensive cover for a (no doubt) very expensive cover." :grin:

Edit: The front cover is a little less than $400! So, yeah, a plastic shield of some kind perhaps???

Edited by Pappy35
Thanks for all the input.

That extended front fended farkel was a must add item and is already on this RT. Learned this is a needed fix with my '99RT after trying to clean tar balls off the header pipes and front motor cover. Why BMW insists on a stubby tailed front fender letting the motor get krudded up is a mystery.

Added to my list so far

knipex pliers

Tire inflator (nails seem to find my tires too frequently)

Grip Buddies

Will put the Werks Quiet Ride windshield on my B-day list

Let me know when you are ready for the Werks shield as mine will be up for sale.

Let me know when you are ready for the Werks shield as mine will be up for sale.

What? You're not luv'n it no more? Seemed like all who had bought this windshield liked them a lot.

Edited by Paul De

What? You're not luv'n it no more? Seemed like all who had bought this windshield liked them a lot.

Just not working as well as I would like. Honestly it may be a bit short. Not a bad product just not as good for me as I expected.

Ed, e-mail me at terry@werksparts.com Let's be sure it is the right size and go from there. Just like a good pair of jeans, if the fit is right it WERKS!

I'd like 20 more years of riding.

WOW ... now that is a great one. Adding that to my list as well but may modify to 30 years ...... hey it's Christmas right!

WOW ... now that is a great one. Adding that to my list as well but may modify to 30 years ...... hey it's Christmas right!

Already planning for that. Ride two wheels as long as possible including downsizing and then it is time for some type of trike before I ride that winding road into the sunset!

Pulling the tupperware today as the first snowfall of the season is here!

Already planning for that. Ride two wheels as long as possible including downsizing and then it is time for some type of trike before I ride that winding road into the sunset!

Pulling the tupperware today as the first snowfall of the season is here!

LOL ... yeah we are getting our first snowfall here in Charlotte too but in your neck of the woods it would be called flurries! Nonetheless the "french toast" (bread eggs milk) shoppers are out in force.

I ask for the same 3 items every year: alcohol, ammo, and tires.

Ha. So, then could these be considered a barometer of how your year went by which of the three runs out first?

In that list it would be tires, tires, tires for me, because they are so expensive these days. That would leave me with more disposable cash to buy my own alcohol and ammo (not to be used simultaneously of course).

2 sets of tire last year. I'll change them out before riding weather returns. I am planning a trip to San Antonio in May and New Orleans in July. I actually have plenty of ammo and never run out of good Canadian whiskey :D

I've want to add a rack to mount on my large top box. At this point it goes onto my B-day list. Any suggestions?

Which bike and which top box?

I put a rack on my Givi case on my 02R1150RT, it's just me but I may of used it once. I was thinking of putting wet stuff in a Helen Two Wheels mesh bag and having it dry out while riding. Helen's bag is great but I needed a dry day, I end up drying everything at the hotel.

Jay