IGNORED

K1300GT 2009 rough idle

Utazo89

I bought few months ago this used bike. I like it a lot. It had two problems. The heated seat was not heating, (I fixed it) and it has a rough idle. (it also backfires during deceleration, but I've read that it happens, when the muffler is not OEM).

Once the engine is warm, the idle is a bit better, but the needle is moving up and down a bit. I am new to this system, so I cannot tell, if that is normal, or not? Could it be the plugs? I have service records, but I cannot see, when the plugs were replaced. Could it be a ' recall issue ', which was not done? Please, advice. Thanks.

Edited by Utazo89

I was having significant fueling issues on the 2009 K!300GT I bought used last summer. Rough idle, stalling, etc. Took it to Max BMW where the mechanic updated the fuel system with the latest software updates, and that fixed it. Bike runs perfectly now and there are no more fueling issues to report.

Engine pulls like an ox, but then you know that by now. Congrats on the bike!

A

Edited by beemerman2k

That was it, mostly, but the stalling was the most annoying. I'd coast to a traffic light or a stop sign and next thing I know, my engine is no longer running. Hit the starter button and it fires back up, but still. No such issues now. Fueling is finally up to the standards of the rest of the motorcycle.

I called the bmw service, where this bike was always serviced and the mechanic said that my bike is updated on the software. He asked me to bring it in and they will check it out. We figured out that the plugs were not replaced for at least 2 years now, so I might order that and some testing on this idle problem. The muffler is not OEM, which could be another reason for the fluctuation. I'll know more after Thursday and I will share.

I'll be interested in knowing what comes of your research. I bought my bike with 6K on the odo and the 6K service just competed by the same dealership under the prior owner. I was surprised to learn the latest firmware hadn't been applied. I say this to say make sure your latest firmware is applied even if you have to take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

I understand the plugs are no small matter to replace on this engine, which surprises me, but given that's the case it shouldn't be a surprise the work hadn't been done in a while.

Good luck!

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the late reply. Life is busy.

So, I did schedule a service for the idle problem, but the guys there told me not to bother until the 68K service is due. It is a major scheduled service by BMW. I still have 1K to go. They also told me that idle problem could be related to many things. Of course, when we cranked it up, the idle was OK in the shop. I was mad that I could not demonstrate the problem.

Since then, I had additional issues with the idle. Sometimes the engine almost stopped, like it was running out of gas. I had to give a little throttle to bring it back. This happens now occasionally. I suspect that the fuel system/filter/lines need some urgent cleaning. I don't know how to do it, so I need to survive till the service is due. I am not very happy with this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

My bike does stumble occasionally. I find that if I add some Chevron Techron to the fuel at every 4th fill up or so, the stalling and stumbling pretty much goes way.

• 1 year later...

Well, I still have the idle/stall problem.

The dealership where it was serviced is bankrupt. Weird story. Search for Seattle BMW Motorcycle dealership closed.

Anyway, I took it to another shop for tires replacement. The Mechanic told me that one of my cylinders was not firing and something pensacoil had to be replaced. $600 later, the cylinder is firing and I have more juice. 

However, the idle problem is still around. I was told that the Seattle dealership will re-open again, hopefully with a new crew. Although, I am hesitant to take it in for inspection, because they charged me the sky, last time. I really don't want to start a miss-and-hit repair chain reaction process. Too expensive. Unfortunately, I do not have a place/tools where I could do some troubleshooting myself. So, I can rely only on mechanics and forums like this.

I have searched for ' erratic idle ' here and there are lot of entries. Few for K 1300 GT models. There were some recalls, additive suggestions, fuel tank filter replacement, fuel line cleaning, fuel quality, and many other clues. Honestly, I am lost and cannot figure out, which way to do proceed.

Yesterday, I did the battery disconnect, turn the throttle 3x back and forth. I have not had a chance to ride it yet. Since, I've read that I was suppose to connect the -/+ to clear the memory. I might do this again properly, before I ride it. Although, my rides are in the city mostly. Rarely go out to highways anymore.

If you guys have any suggestion, with my limited testing capabilities, please advice.

Update.

After doing the battery disconnect/+ and - connect/ignition on/throttle turn 3x - and took it to a ride. It behaved well, and even though the idle moves between 1000-1100 rpm, it is completely different as it was before. After my return, I took out again in the afternoon and it was still good. The trip was a mix of highway and city ride.

It seems the reset cleaned the computer's brain and learned to provide a better mix to the throttle. Of course, I am not celebrating yet, since it was just one day. Maybe after a month, I could say that the problem went away with the erratic idle situation. I'll keep you updated. 

Old thread I know. Glad bike was fixed with simple throttle reset. Your bike does not have a fuel filter, only a strainer sock. It helps to run some cleaner like Techron Plus or Sea Foam through the system once and a while. Big job but cleaning the fuel injectors by an Injector shop like Mr. Injector in Idaho is well worth it if you have some serious miles on your bike. But you mentioned the Lake City Way BMW shop being closed. In Seattle use Vallantine's motor works on Aurora Ave. Mark and Dana know their stuff and have a more reasonable hourly rate. Mark is a master BMW tech.

http://www.vallantinemotorworks.com/

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Old thread I know. Glad bike was fixed with simple throttle reset. Your bike does not have a fuel filter, only a strainer sock. It helps to run some cleaner like Techron Plus or Sea Foam through the system once and a while. Big job but cleaning the fuel injectors by an Injector shop like Mr. Injector in Idaho is well worth it if you have some serious miles on your bike. But you mentioned the Lake City Way BMW shop being closed. In Seattle use Vallantine's motor works on Aurora Ave. Mark and Dana know their stuff and have a more reasonable hourly rate. Mark is a master BMW tech.

Afternoon Beech 

Actually his K1300GT does have a fuel filter, it's just not a replaceable fuel filter. The filter  is in that large white plastic (non removable) chamber on the bottom of the fuel pump pass-through assembly.

If a person is creative & handy they can remove the convoluted pump hose & remove the upper outlet check valve fitting then back-flush  the filter with a cleaning compound    (not easy, not straight forward  but doable with the right expertise)

On 5/22/2020 at 10:45 AM, Beech said:

reasonable hourly rate. Mark is a master BMW tech.

Yes, I did go to them with other problems and they fixed it. On the idle, they could not do much.

Either way, the idle is much better now, after the reset. Let's hope it stays that way.

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2017 at 4:49 PM, beemerman2k said:

I'll be interested in knowing what comes of your research. I bought my bike with 6K on the odo and the 6K service just competed by the same dealership under the prior owner. I was surprised to learn the latest firmware hadn't been applied. I say this to say make sure your latest firmware is applied even if you have to take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

I am way behind with this answer, but I do want to share my results.

As you see from this thread, I could not find any help locally. I went online and someone has suggested to buy a thing called ' Booster Plug '. I was reluctant to order it, so it took me a while. It also took almost a year to get to it and install it. Surprise! All my idle issues and stalling problems disappeared. The engine runs on idle very steady and smooth. Not as smooth as my car, but perfectly acceptable for my bike. It has been like this for almost a year, so I can declare that it did solve the problem. I'd recommend to any 2009 model users to give it a try. It is not cheap as a wire, I paid $160 total, but it certainly calms your nerves down. I hope this info will help some bikers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one on my 2009 K13S, solved lots of problems. Glad you still have your bike. K bikes are great. Let me know if you need tires changed, Mount Vernon.

Coatstiremachine.jpeg