IGNORED

It's Farkel Season!

Paul De

I was getting depressed as the extended fall weather letting me ride into December lasted until this last week. Then it got cold enough for the city and county to start spewing salt onto the roads...the reality of riding being over for a while hit me and I was sad. This morning I woke to a light snow cover on the ground and I was suddenly happy because that made me get excited for Farkel season. I''m making my list of new and deferred farkel work that requires the tupperware on my '15 RT to come off.

On the list so far.

-More better lighting

-Actually install that Stebel Nautilus that has sat since last spring because I didn't want to take a moment of my limited riding season wrenching on the bike

-Thinking about putting an left side accessory socket on the fairing attached the a free ezCAN circuit to avoid having to cross the power line from my Aerostitch vest across the tank (what were those Engineers thinking about putting the socket on the right!

-My wife will give me a big kiss if I replace the backrest pad on the large RT top box with the backrest from the KGTL... Expensive yes, but I will get a lot of bonus points for that.

Also, my beloved but under utilized '99 RT will get a full going over as I will likely sell it this spring and I want its new owner to get off to riding season not worrying about if it needs any TLC.

There is more but they are't coming to my mind at the moment. What's on your Farkel season list?

Last Sunday I was able to get out for a 100 mile shake down run to evaluate the results of my latest Farkel installations.

Heavy weight bar ends, good. Cut down Cal Sci windshield, good. Learning how to operate Nav VI , check but can't figure

out how to get max speed to set in memory, more research needed.

Got home and told wife the results and her reply was,"well, what else are you going to buy and install?" :rofl: She knows me well.

I told her all I still need is a Sena system for music etc ceramic coating for the head pipe and a few more "little things."

Since I already blew past the budget I told her about when I got the 2013 RT in August I'll use Christmas as an excuse to buy more. :thumbsup:

Learning how to operate Nav VI , check but can't figure

out how to get max speed to set in memory, more research needed.:

The Nav VI is automatically recording your maximum speed. It stays there until you either reset it or go faster that what's there.

You should find it in the Trip Information layer. I'm not running a Nav VI so I can't go step by step to find it for you.

Learning how to operate Nav VI , check but can't figure

out how to get max speed to set in memory, more research needed.:

The Nav VI is automatically recording your maximum speed. It stays there until you either reset it or go faster that what's there.

You should find it in the Trip Information layer. I'm not running a Nav VI so I can't go step by step to find it for you.

On the map display, you should have Speed as one of the items in the data. Tap on it and it'll take you to the Trip Computer page, which has your maximum speed.

On my 590 (similar to the earlier NAV IV), the speed and trip log is only enabled if I have checked the box at Settings->Device->History. Otherwise, the GPS does not record my position and time, data necessary to to calculate distance traveled, max and average speeds and to create a trip log. I'd expect the NAV VI to offer a similar setting.

This is one of many areas I think Garmin needs to improve their software, as this is an all-or-nothing setting. I'd like to to create a track of my travels (position, maybe date), but I really don't need a record of speed (position, time) or to have the Max speed so readily available.

Edited by lkraus
Hate to be like this, but I believe Webster spells it "farkle".

Haha, so you just spending the down months being the spelling police; or are you putting any farkels on your bike.

Actually, I used an alternate spelling purposely to not confuse accessorizing with Farkle the dice game.

Urban Dictionary: farkle

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

accessory. The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle. Motorcycle enthusiasts may install accessories, called farkles (also spelled farkel), to customize their machine.

Hate to be like this, but I believe Webster spells it "farkle".

Haha, so you just spending the down months being the spelling police; or are you putting any farkels on your bike.

Actually, I used an alternate spelling purposely to not confuse accessorizing with Farkle the dice game.

Urban Dictionary: farkle

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

accessory. The word is generally accepted to mean a combination of "function" and "sparkle", hence, farkle. Motorcycle enthusiasts may install accessories, called farkles (also spelled farkel), to customize their machine.

LOL ... I thought the origin of "Farkle" was actually an acronym for Functional Accessory Really Kool Looks Expensive

I was getting depressed as the extended fall weather letting me ride into December lasted until this last week. Then it got cold enough for the city and county to start spewing salt onto the roads...the reality of riding being over for a while hit me and I was sad. This morning I woke to a light snow cover on the ground and I was suddenly happy because that made me get excited for Farkel season. I''m making my list of new and deferred farkel work that requires the tupperware on my '15 RT to come off.

On the list so far.

-More better lighting

-Actually install that Stebel Nautilus that has sat since last spring because I didn't want to take a moment of my limited riding season wrenching on the bike

-Thinking about putting an left side accessory socket on the fairing attached the a free ezCAN circuit to avoid having to cross the power line from my Aerostitch vest across the tank (what were those Engineers thinking about putting the socket on the right!

-My wife will give me a big kiss if I replace the backrest pad on the large RT top box with the backrest from the KGTL... Expensive yes, but I will get a lot of bonus points for that.

Also, my beloved but under utilized '99 RT will get a full going over as I will likely sell it this spring and I want its new owner to get off to riding season not worrying about if it needs any TLC.

There is more but they are't coming to my mind at the moment. What's on your Farkel season list?

LOL .. like they say ..."happy wife, happy life" !!

For me I need a better seat on my 2012 GSA.

May add HVM bar ends on both bikes

Thinking about upgrading the BMW driving lights on my GSA as well.

Thanks for the link Paul De, great stuff!

LOL, I missed one of the definitions down page of the urban definitions. So, that settles is for me...its farkel as there is no way I want to be misunderstood about Farkel the penis game.

Also it will still fit Ed's definition Functional Accessory Really Kool Expensive Looking

No matter how you spell it ... it is all FUN! And a great part of motorcycle ownership! And the guys on this site have exposed to some really interesting stuff!!

Luimoto seat cover with gel pad

PSR Oil Cap Black

LighTech Chain Adjusters Blue

SW MoTech Mirror Extenders

SW MoTech Front Axle Sliders

SW MoTech Rear Axle Sliders

SW MoTech Frame Sliders

PDM60

Admore Rear Light Bar

Rear hugger extender

1- USB outlet with 2 USB ports

2 Power Receptacles, 1 for GPS 1 for Gerbings

Amber colored MotoLights

Rizoma Wave (blue) Front Reservoir

Hepco Becker passenger seat plate

Install GIVI top case to Hepco Becker seat plate

things I want to do, but have not made a decision on

Levers

Auxiliary Front LED running lights

42 tooth rear sprocket

Luimoto seat cover with gel pad

PSR Oil Cap Black

LighTech Chain Adjusters Blue

SW MoTech Mirror Extenders

SW MoTech Front Axle Sliders

SW MoTech Rear Axle Sliders

SW MoTech Frame Sliders

PDM60

Admore Rear Light Bar

Rear hugger extender

1- USB outlet with 2 USB ports

2 Power Receptacles, 1 for GPS 1 for Gerbings

Amber colored MotoLights

Rizoma Wave (blue) Front Reservoir

Hepco Becker passenger seat plate

Install GIVI top case to Hepco Becker seat plate

things I want to do, but have not made a decision on

Levers

Auxiliary Front LED running lights

42 tooth rear sprocket

Jeesh that should keep you busy all winter for sure. You may want to look at an LED alternative to the Motolights. Motolights are really nice but LEDs are more durable and draw a lot less current. Unless of course you are installing Motolights you already have.

Whoa Dooood, if your have it all torn down now you might be buttoned up for spring....And if you beat that timing you wanna come over and spin some wrenches on my ride:cool:

Yes installing motolights taken off my R1200ST. but they are around 10 years old, and they work perfectly, but I am interested in modern lights, but cannot justify the cost, when the motolights will not die :-)

really most of these updates do not even require removing anything. the biggest item is the PDM60 with all the associated wiring. Once the wiring is done most of the actual farkel install is easy.

Understand! I ran Motolights for over 10 years and loved them. But when I bought my 2012 GSA I thought it time to upgrade to LED. Ended up selling my Motolights which funded about 2/3 of my Denali Light cost. It is a shame that Motolights just did not seem to keep up with the LED technology. For a long time they were king of the hill and lord they are built like tanks!

Good luck with your winter projects!

actually this would all take about one day if I still had my own personal mechanic. but he (Chris K) went and got married to a wonderful lady, and now prefers to spend time with her. But there was a two year period were I basically had my own mechanic for the cost of a home cooked meal :-) Aaaaaaaaaaah those were the days.

actually this would all take about one day if I still had my own personal mechanic. but he (Chris K) went and got married to a wonderful lady, and now prefers to spend time with her. But there was a two year period were I basically had my own mechanic for the cost of a home cooked meal :-) Aaaaaaaaaaah those were the days.

That must be one long work day!

Just installed a Denali Sound Bomb horn and will be adding a fender extender this weekend. Over the winter, it will be brake and clutch fluid flush, trans and FD oil and check the valves. Just got new tires this summer.

At least here, I can pretty much ride all winter.