IGNORED

RT to GS wheel conversion.

dan cata

Hi all,

It's been quite some time since I have posted here, but this is something that might be useful for you, in case you have tought about getting GS wheels to a RT bike.

I am going trough building something that looks like a HP2 enduro bike, using a R1100GS and I have had some parts left that I fitted to a customer's R1100RT. The whole story is here - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hp-build-attempt-based-on-r1100gs.1263430/ with lots of pics as I progress.

I had to machine a set of risers and mill the handlebar ends so that the OEM heated grips still work. In the end, the customer was very satisfied and I think the bike looks great with spoke wheels!

A short conclusion that might be useful if someone else attempts the conversion:

- do it, it's worth it;

- bought used ABS rings for the GS, part numbers are different;

- I was able to just swap the rear brake rotor from the RT to the GS;

- you'll need counter sunk screws for the rear abs ring, securing it to the wheel hub;

- I have used the RT aluminum forks so that the brake lines can be reused (the RT had metal inserted brake hoses);

- I have used the GS bridge - the one that holds the telelever joint because it has the fixture for the black GS plastic fender;

- I have used the GS stanchions because the stanchion part numbers were different between GS/RT and it made sense to use the GS ones;

- the telelever boot was cracked so I replaced it, plus added fresh MoS2 grease;

- the handlebar... there are two GS configurations: with heated grips and without; mine was without and I had to mill the ends for the wires to fit. Perhaps it was best to use an aftermarket set of heated grips, personally, I think the BMW OEM 2 heat settings is lame, low setting and you almost can't feel the heat, HI setting and your hands burn. Oxford makes a nice set that has 4 or 5 options regarding heat intensity, but the wires are exposed and not neat as in the GS setup.

- when turned all the way to one side, the brake pump would touch the dash plastics, so I have machined the risers from aluminum to rise and get it towards the rider. That helped a lot, otherwise I would have to limit the cornering angle of the handlebar when turned sideways by a lot.

- the handling feeling is now much better, when maneuvering the bike at slow speeds and when riding it, since the hand grips are further away; don't know how the bike feels at higher speeds because the wet here is wet and close to freezing so will have to wait till spring.

For the GS, the only things that I have to fix, are the brake lines and bike protection. For that, I think I already got it figured and I hope you'll like my idea. Will unveil when the time comes, hope it will be shortly.

Dan.